Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Your favourite music

(104 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Thu 17-Jan-19 06:45:43

I don't much like music but despite the fact I own no CDs, I do, very occasionally, go to YouTube to listen/watch selected pieces.
Today a friend asked me for a favourite song and it made me wonder - what do Gransnet members like?

Here are three I sometimes play.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XNBWpUKsKM
I've loved this since 1980 and used to sing it regularly in folk clubs and festivals.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypULmVfYZqM
I suspect this will be a favourite for Gransnetters.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9NVZMNyiM
*Just for the voices - and the very handsome Mr B^

Grandma70s Thu 17-Jan-19 14:03:21

I was one of the 14 angels in Hansel and Gretel when I was in my teens, Greyduster! Such happy memories.

I saw a perfect production of it in Vienna in the 1990s. It was, as my friend said, ‘just as you imagine it’.

Greyduster Thu 17-Jan-19 14:15:43

I have never seen a live production but saw the televised production from the ROH in 2008, and it was just entrancing.

BradfordLass72 Thu 17-Jan-19 22:01:30

I went to look up that choice and heard them singing 'Calon Lân ' which I used to be able to sing in Welsh and, to my astonishment can still do so 60+ years later smile lovely memories.

I do like some classical music and an absolute favourite is 'In the Depths of the Temple' from Bizet's 'The Pearl Fisher'.
I know, cliche but I love it anyway.

MawBroon Thu 17-Jan-19 22:10:16

I love Mozart, Handel and most opera music (the sort with tunes. I found Samuel Barber’s Vanessa hard going)
One piece I am particularly fond of, not great music, but because of its associations because I used to lie in bed trying to drop off to the Shipping Forecast all the times Paw was in hospital.
Byng’s “Sailing By” reduces me to tears instantly.

MawBroon Thu 17-Jan-19 22:11:49

Misspelt his name. It is Ronald Binge.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFdas-kMF74

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 22:26:27

I chose Sailing By for my piece of music to be played as part of my therapy , love it.

BradfordLass72 Thu 17-Jan-19 22:29:49

Oh yes, Sailing By....thanks Maw

I too used to listen to it each night whilst waiting for the World Service to start on Radio 4. It's quite emotional for me too.

Day6 Thu 17-Jan-19 22:58:09

I adore so many types of music. I enjoy opera, classical, G&S, choral stuff, jazz, acoustic guitar, acoustic versions of modern songs, hymns, and some modern singers like Rag and Bone Man, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, and stuff put together by David Guetta and Mark Ronson. I like old pop from the 60s and 70s and blues by Muddy Waters, John Mayall, Eric Clapton etc. I also love old soul, most things by Marvin Gaye and Northern soul hits too. It just depends on my mood.

Today I listened to Joan Sutherland and the famous quartet piece from Rigoletto, Mendelssohn's violin concerto in E minor, the Small Faces "Tin Soldier", "Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns N Roses and "Green Manalishi" by old skool Fleetwood Mac with the amazing Peter Green.

I have already compiled about six lists should I ever be asked to feature on Desert Island Discs! Not likely to happen, but it was a fun exercise. grin

MissAdventure Thu 17-Jan-19 23:08:10

I'm about to listen to Sailing By. smile
Hope I like it.

MawBroon Thu 17-Jan-19 23:31:37

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFwII4eYaM0
The Benedictus from The Armed Man is lovely too and would make very good therapy music.

Greyduster Fri 18-Jan-19 11:38:18

I’m almost afraid to admit it, but I find it hard to like Karl Jenkins’ music. They play it a lot on Classic FM and I find myself turning it off. Perhaps it’s overplayed. I can’t get on with Philip Glass either and I have tried.

MawBroon Fri 18-Jan-19 11:42:17

Don’t be!
We all have our own likes and dislikes. Sister in law bought tickets for a Glass opera for DDs and husbands.
Fortunately she guessed I would not enjoy it so I am going to “Follies” instead.

Fennel Fri 18-Jan-19 11:53:41

I can't listen to 'modern' classical either Greyduster.
I think my favourite type is classical/romantic eg the Spartacus theme, the last movement of Rachmaniov's 2nd piano concerto, or this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz1b8YZj0f4
All Russian.

Greyduster Fri 18-Jan-19 12:04:07

Try listening to the second movement of Ravel’s G major piano concerto, Fennel. It is so beautiful it will tear you to shreds. I love the whole piece, but the other two movements are marmite music!

shysal Fri 18-Jan-19 12:06:18

I usually listen to either Radio 1 or 4 when out in the car. My current favourite is Lewis Capaldi's 'Grace'. I must admit to hearing the words as 'Your Face' until just looking it up. blush. He is distantly related to Peter the Dr Who actor.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM-guKDW0kc

Greyduster Fri 18-Jan-19 12:16:13

Love the Borodin, Fennel??

knickas63 Fri 18-Jan-19 13:37:42

Oh dear - I am clearly uncultured! I do like a wide variety of music including folk, classical, modern and Rock. These are my top 3.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anLPw0Efmo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncjGq9fm_E

Fennel Fri 18-Jan-19 15:54:48

knickas63 you're probably the same age as my second son, and music has moved on since my time.
Greyduster, I'll listen to the Ravel, hope it doesn't tear me to shreds!

Floradora9 Fri 18-Jan-19 15:58:26

I have no interest in any music apart from classical music and light opera . Even as a teenager I liked to dance to Cliff Richard records but never bought one. Classic FM is my backdrop to the day but oh how I hate the adds. Thanks goodness for John Suchet's one hour with none.

Greyduster Fri 18-Jan-19 16:26:26

Fennel you might hate it - I just get a bit carried away! grin
I don’t like the word ‘uncultured’, and wouldn’t apply it to anyone, knickas. We all have our musical passions and they don’t have to be high brow or any other brow. Not to have music in your life is a tragedy.

Day6 Fri 18-Jan-19 16:56:06

Not to have music in your life is a tragedy

I agree Greyduster. It certainly is.

My OH just doesn't feel the need to listen to music. I find it most strange. I am the one to turn on the radio in the car or play music in the house.

Now we co-habit he is becoming used to the radio being on in the kitchen or music being played in other rooms. He escapes to his television, books or garden.

Fennel Sat 19-Jan-19 19:45:45

"Not to have music in your life is a tragedy."
I think so too. Music can lift you up when you're feeling low.
Calms you when you're stressed. Makes you smile when you're unhappy. etc
My husband is like yours, Day6. If I want to listen to music I have to shut the door to my 'office' and keep the sound low.
I think it must be some mental thing that you either have or haven't got.

jeanie99 Sun 27-Jan-19 19:04:34

I can't imagine my life without music.

jacq10 Sun 27-Jan-19 19:40:25

I enjoy practically every type of music - 60's pop until grandson came along and now enjoy his pop music, Scottish traditional and dance music, some light classical and opera, American country (the real old stuff and also modern) and blue grass. I thought that when my husband passed away two months ago I would not be able to cope with listening as we shared so much of it but I find it really comforting and it brings back many memories.

Chewbacca Sun 27-Jan-19 22:02:31

Flower Duet by Delibes

youtu.be/Vf42IP__ipw