Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Long shot! Magazine story from ` Jackie` years ago! Hardly culture but...

(58 Posts)
suzette1613 Sun 27-Oct-19 16:26:08

This must have been in the `60s or early `70s.

I read one of their soppy stories about a girl musing that she was `the queen of the castle`. Throughout the story she quoted lines from a (made up?) poem about a castle in Spain. It has been on my mind ever since, obviously I didn`t keep my copy.
I would love to know the full poem. Did any other GNs get this magazine then or remember the story?

rosenoir Sun 27-Oct-19 16:44:09

I can not help but did look up archive Jackie magazines , they sell for between £79 and £450 on crazyaboutmagazines.com , should have kept mine.

Marydoll Sun 27-Oct-19 16:49:39

Every week I looked forward to getting my copy of Jackie. I thought I was so sophisticated!!

Sorry, I don't remember the story.

Eglantine21 Sun 27-Oct-19 16:55:16

Was that the one where she met a young man in the park and pretended to him that she was royalty saying things like I have big red carriages that stop whenever I wave my hand ie a bus?

And he joined in with stuff of his own.

But the punch line was he really was a prince and had to leave her sitting in the park?

I loved Jackie.

suzette1613 Sun 27-Oct-19 17:10:07

Eglantine 21, I`m not sure about the bus bit but all I remember was a rather long-winded musing on her life interspersed with lines from that ****poem! There was something about `in all of my mullein windows the westerly sun sets red` to finish the poem. I expect I shall just have to continue to be infuriated by a story badly remembered from so long ago!

Chestnut Sun 27-Oct-19 17:26:27

Apart from this website you could try the Fans of Jackie Magazine on Facebook. There will be actual Jackie fans there to help you!

Harris27 Sun 27-Oct-19 17:42:09

You’d put me to shame I can’t remember what I went to the fridge for and you are remembering all this!!!

suzette1613 Sun 27-Oct-19 17:43:19

Thanks Chestnut, didn`t think of facebook. Will give it a try.

I loved Jackie, I don`t think my parents approved though, all those boyfriends and kissing! The illustrations always seemed so sophisticated, longed to look like that.

Sara65 Sun 27-Oct-19 17:52:46

Can’t help I’m afraid, but I too loved Jackie.

SynchroSwimmer Sun 27-Oct-19 19:14:02

Happy memories!
Oh how I regret - memories of standing around a ritual bonfire at the bottom of the garden, aged 17, where I burnt my entire 4 year collection of Jackie Magazine in one go...

Chestnut Sun 27-Oct-19 20:13:13

....where I burnt my entire 4 year collection of Jackie Magazine in one go...
And now they're worth about £100 each. Oh if only we knew then what we know now!

Calendargirl Sun 27-Oct-19 20:22:35

Oh Chestnut surely they’re only worth that if they’re in mint condition?

I was a Petticoat reader. As I mentioned on another thread, my collection is in the loft. Sadly, rather tatty now, cannot imagine worth much more than the 1/- (one shilling) each they cost some 50 odd years ago. But good luck to anyone with Jackie’s if they are worth a good price with a collector.

Chestnut Sun 27-Oct-19 23:27:30

Calendargirl - check out the prices here! I don't think many are in mint condition.
www.crazyaboutmagazines.com/ourshop/cat_140932-JACKIE-Magazine-Back-Issues.html

notnecessarilywiser Mon 28-Oct-19 08:04:54

Was it Meadowsweet by William Allingham?
engpoetry.com/william-allingham/meadowsweet/

ninathenana Mon 28-Oct-19 08:14:34

I had a collection of Jackies that stood about 12" high. I don't think they could ever have become valuable, they were to well thumbed !

One leg of my bed broke of in the night and I put the pile in it's place. Stayed like that for a few days until mum and dad bought me a new bed.

ninathenana Mon 28-Oct-19 08:15:29

off not of

dogsmother Mon 28-Oct-19 08:21:32

Wow! Love it, along with “words” so that I could get the lyrics to all the pop songs and practice and sing along.
So many years ago ....

PamelaJ1 Mon 28-Oct-19 08:33:22

Chestnut, did you know that or did you google the words?
Hope it’s the right one.

LondonGranny Mon 28-Oct-19 09:35:15

One thing I do know about Jackie is that a very young Jacqueline Wilson (of Tracy Beaker fame) started her career at Jackie The other thing is that it made my younger sister obsessed about spots and boys.

Calendargirl Mon 28-Oct-19 09:50:43

Chestnut

Have just googled your magazine site. Sadly, Petticoat mags do not even come up!

?

Jeanlizzie Mon 28-Oct-19 10:28:08

I have a collection of old Jackie magazines along with loads of old womens magazines from the 1920s to the 1960s so much for my husband, telling me they were rubbish and needed to go into the recycling, I have started knitting a lot of the 1940s and 50s patterns and the recipes can be hilarious

lynneg Mon 28-Oct-19 10:39:26

Also there was the Bunty, my favourite!

wot Mon 28-Oct-19 10:45:39

Loved Bunty and "The Four Marys"

Scottiebear Mon 28-Oct-19 10:47:47

Don't remember that story I'm afraid. But I did love the Jackie. I used to cover my school books with pictures from it. I can still remember my picture of Justin Hayward. Happy days.

Youngatheart51 Mon 28-Oct-19 11:18:29

My sister used to get Jackie mag & I used to have Blue Jeans mag. Does anyone remember that one? As younger girls my 2 sisters has Judy & Tammy & I had Bunty. Mum used to pick up all the mags on a Saturday morning when she did her weekly shop & none of us girls were allowed our mags until my mum had read all of them first! ?