Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Long shot! Magazine story from ` Jackie` years ago! Hardly culture but...

(59 Posts)
suzette1613 Sun 27-Oct-19 16:26:08

This must have been in the `60s or early `70s.

I read one of their soppy stories about a girl musing that she was `the queen of the castle`. Throughout the story she quoted lines from a (made up?) poem about a castle in Spain. It has been on my mind ever since, obviously I didn`t keep my copy.
I would love to know the full poem. Did any other GNs get this magazine then or remember the story?

MissAdventure Mon 28-Oct-19 11:21:39

I was a 'Twinkle' reader, and only graduated onto 'Jackie' for a little while before a new wave of girls' magazines appeared.

Then I used to read 'Pink'.

Theoddbird Mon 28-Oct-19 11:23:46

I had a letter published in it once. I was so excited.

Davida1968 Mon 28-Oct-19 11:24:16

The story the poster describes sounds rather like: "I Capture the Castle", which is a book by Dodie Smith. (Also a film.)

Margs Mon 28-Oct-19 11:47:08

Oh, 'Jackie'! Where would we all be without the quaint advice of Cathy & Claire?

Ha!Ha!Ha!

Riggie Mon 28-Oct-19 11:58:21

Have you tried googling the quote you remember?
The only thing is I am guessing it is mullion windows not mullein.
Mullein is a flower, mullion windows are an architectural thing

nettyandmasey Mon 28-Oct-19 12:09:40

I used to get Jackie. Also Twinkle, look in Smash Hits and Osmonds World at various ages

Anthea1948 Mon 28-Oct-19 12:30:23

Was it definitely Jackie? Wasn't there a mag called Bunty around at that time? Ah, looking on line I see there are loads. This might help jintycomic.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/remembrance-of-things-past/

Calendargirl Mon 28-Oct-19 13:14:50

I progressed from Bunty to Petticoat. I was a Bunty club member, still have my Scottie dog badge.
I well remember the Four Mary’s, Toots, The Dancing Life of Moira Kent, another ballet story, Lorna Drake, they were very into ballet themes.
Also stories often featured children being orphaned and then brought up by cruel step parents. I wallowed in these morbid tales, always glad I still had my lovely mum and dad.
Also loved the Bunty cut-out wardrobe that was on the back cover. Always dressing her up and having paper fashion shows.

jaylucy Mon 28-Oct-19 13:15:33

I only used to buy Jackie when there were pictures of David Cassidy in it !
I started with Diana magazine and moved on to Fab 208 (which also had pics of David Cassidy in it as well as a column that he supposedly wrote!)

vickya Mon 28-Oct-19 13:15:47

I got Roxy and Marilyn.

www.pinterest.it/pin/87679523980479708/
But earlier Enid Blyton's magazine and I liked Eagle with Dan Dare and the Meekon. I was a tomboy smile

LadyO Mon 28-Oct-19 13:18:30

jaylucy David Cassidy....SWOON ...be still, my teenage heart!

Chestnut Mon 28-Oct-19 13:55:29

I remember very well the first issue of Judy in 1960. It had a plastic flower bracelet you could clip together which for some reason meant a lot to me. I think being the first issue made it special. My favourite story was 'Sandra of the Secret Ballet'.

Musicgirl Mon 28-Oct-19 13:59:11

I had Judy and Diana before graduating on to Jackie and Blue Jeans. My friends and l would read problems from the Cathy and Claire page (and how innocent those problems were) during school lunchtimes and thought we were so hilarious with our spoof answers before reading the official ones. Happy days.

Stoker48 Mon 28-Oct-19 14:14:15

June and School friend, anyone?

Calendargirl Mon 28-Oct-19 14:29:06

My sister took Judy, it was sister paper to Bunty I think. Can remember the freebie bracelet! My cousin took June, as that was her name. We swapped them between ourselves, sis and I were always rather scathing about June, never thought it was a patch on B and J.

Calendargirl Mon 28-Oct-19 14:33:22

As mentioned on another post, still have several Bunty annuals in the loft. Very well read and tatty now, but I remember the stories vividly.
A Bunty annual was my main Christmas present, 7/6d. in old money.

The GC’s would think it unbelievable that my BIG Christmas present cost 37 and a half pence.

grannydarkhair Mon 28-Oct-19 14:36:44

Although I always enjoyed reading my weekly Bunty, Judy, Diana, etc., my favourite comic was The Hotspur. It had such exciting stories, e.g. The Wolf of Kabul, who had a side-kick, Chung who used "clicky-ba" (cricket bat) to kill many a baddie. It had originally been for my older brother, but continued to arrive after he left home. My grandad taught me to read before I started school, and I well remember sitting on his knee, taking turns to read to each other from comics as well as the local paper. Fabulous memories.
Re. the Jackie, Nina Myskow is another name associated with it. There was a girl at my academy who'd modelled in several issues, she was considered to be very "glam" (she was very pretty). I'm from Dundee, home of D.C.Thomson, publishers of all of these comics and many, many more.

nannyannie44 Mon 28-Oct-19 15:14:47

The jackie came to ours via post boy every wednesday, i couldn't wait to get home from school to see what David Cassidy picture was in it , i can't remember reading the story's but i did read Cathy and Claire, It is lovely reading this thread it's bringing back some very happy times x

suzette1613 Mon 28-Oct-19 15:33:32

Riggie, that`s my poor spelling! It was definitely mullion windows!

Davida1968, I have read I Capture the Castle, great book. It was a poem she quoted (?nursery rhyme type).

Anthea1948, no not Bunty, it was an old copy of Jackie. I don`t think Bunty had boyfriend advice and illustrations of snogging etc! Bunty was for younger readers I seem to remember.

When I got to boarding school, I thought it would be like The Four Marys or Mallory Towers. In for a shock! I suppose nowadays they expect Harry Potter.

suzette1613 Mon 28-Oct-19 15:39:14

I always skipped the ballet stories in Bunty et al, much preferred horsey ones like the Pullein Thompson sisters`. I know this is going off-thread, but I started it!

essjay Mon 28-Oct-19 16:06:21

As well as bunty and judy, i used to get mandy, very similar to the other 2 and then in my teens it was jackie and yes had my wall plastered with david cassidy and also steve mcqueen. Jackie was the best for posters. I also looked forward to getting the annuals at christmas. happy days. smile

4allweknow Mon 28-Oct-19 16:24:19

Daughter did get the magazine but never collected any. No mention of the story/poem.

GrandmasueUK Mon 28-Oct-19 17:36:50

I still collect Bunty and Judy annuals, as well as School Friend and Girls' Crystal. There was one story which stuck in my mind about twins who were dressed alike and hated it. I finally found it in a Judy annual and was so relieved. I used to get Jackie and also FAB208 for pictures of the Monkees!

HootyMcOwlface Mon 28-Oct-19 19:53:47

I remember June and School Friend, then I had Pink. I don’t think I was allowed Jackie!

Pennypie Mon 28-Oct-19 20:07:44

Hi OP,
Did you see the post from notnecessarilywiser?
She has posted a link to a poem that looks like it could be the one you are seeking.