Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Sainsbury's advertisment

(30 Posts)
NanKate Thu 19-Jan-17 17:25:39

I saw in the DM today an advertisement for Sainsbury's potatoes with a large dancing female model on a double page spread with the words 'Strut - food dancing is living well'. What those words mean I haven't a clue.hmm

I am wondering if the use of such a large model is almost making it seem the norm, or is it positive showing her being active ? I am in two minds, what do you think ?

I am not a beanpole myself.

Swanny Thu 19-Jan-17 17:45:19

This seems to be their latest instore campaign too. When I was in my local S's yesterday there were various posters about twerk and strut and other similar words all with that slogan. Didn't make me buy anything that wasn't on my shopping list!

Ana Thu 19-Jan-17 17:52:00

Ha, ha! Wonder if the next lot of ads will feature such slogans as 'Jive with a chive' and 'Rumba with cucumber'...grin

rosesarered Thu 19-Jan-17 17:52:48

Food dancing is living well? Who came up with that bright idea?Doesn't even make sense.

rosesarered Thu 19-Jan-17 17:54:05

YOUR slogans are excellent on the other hand, Ana

NanKate Thu 19-Jan-17 21:05:08

Ana's great ideas have triggered my thoughts, but all I can come up with is tango with a tomato.

I agree with your Roses it makes no sense at all.

I shall look out Swanny when I am in Sainsburys tomorrow for this new advertising campaign. They need to ask for their money back from the company who came up with the slogans.

Ana Thu 19-Jan-17 21:28:18

Fandango with a mango?

Must admit I can't think of many more...grin

NanKate Fri 20-Jan-17 07:25:58

Keep going Ana you may have a promising future in advertising. grin

nanaK54 Fri 20-Jan-17 07:31:49

S'pose you could two step with a courgette (ah but no there is a shortage!)

gettingonabit Fri 20-Jan-17 07:34:00

I saw this ad in Sains yesterday and don't have a clue. Mind you, I'm never impressed with their advertising.

Love the shop though -their high waist skinnies are acesmile.

ninathenana Fri 20-Jan-17 07:37:06

Cha-cha with a cherry
Quick step with quinola
American smooth with a ............smoothy ?

I'll stop now ?

grannypiper Fri 20-Jan-17 08:45:47

I shouted at the t.v, what a load of tripe

Cunco Fri 20-Jan-17 09:35:24

Tripe the light fandango?

But you could Gavotte with a shallot or Lambada with a banana.

If all else fails, you could always rub avocado on your lower portions ... smile

Jalima Fri 20-Jan-17 09:50:41

If anyone starts twerking near my veg I will be quickstepping out of the door!

Teetime Fri 20-Jan-17 10:08:10

Hopefully they have stopped their previous campaign which drew heavily on the Letitia Cropley cook book.

NanKate Fri 20-Jan-17 18:57:36

Leticia Cropley the Philip Harben of the 1990s. Her sardine fruit cake needs to be sampled to be appreciated, its flavour and texture resembled the vomit it induced grin.

I hear Leticia departed this world recently, no doubt to continue her challenging menu amongst the Angels shock

Thank you Teetime for reminding us of such a genius chef.

Jalima Sat 21-Jan-17 12:56:44

Tesco liked her too:
frugalfoods.co.uk/index.php/fayes-frugal-food-blog/item/mrs-cropley-s-orange-and-baked-bean-cake

The wonderful Liz Smith - RIP.

Jalima Sat 21-Jan-17 12:58:16

I made a chocolate cake with a whole jar of mayonnaise in it once - courtesy of a Blue Peter recipe rather than Mrs Cropley grin

No-one guessed the secret ingredient and in fact it was delicious!

Day6 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:38:16

I've been watching a bit of catch-up TV this afternoon, and every advertisement break featured the Sainsbury's dancing as you cook advertisement. It's been driving me mad. After five viewings of it I'll admit to singing along to the "Yum, yum, yum...." bit, but it soon lost its charms.

Not only that, the people dancing were flicking food all over the place, like it was enormous fun. Very strange given most people will wipe up spills etc, as they cook. Very annoying. A fortune must have been spent on this campaign, given all the food dancing boards in the stores. Some advertising team must imagine they are very clever. It really does irritate after a few viewings.

Now I feel inclined to chop a lettuce, throw a knife into the air and wriggle my bum as I fling myself around the kitchen sprinkling salad leaves all over the floor.

Thank goodness for the fast forward button.

kathcraigs Thu 26-Jan-17 19:44:47

Jalima - l've made a mayonnaise chocolate cake too, recipe courtesy of the lovely Sam Stern. lt's beautiful, and you'd never know what was in it!

Moocow Thu 26-Jan-17 22:13:12

First time I came across this was actually in one of their stores doing the weekly shop. It made me wake up from the humdrum of shopping. I wished I could just have a dance but sadly I'm not a cute toddler!

Jalima Thu 26-Jan-17 22:53:17

I'd like to make another one but DH doesn't like chocolate cake and I can't manage a whole one grin

rosesarered Thu 26-Jan-17 23:01:11

I think that just knowing there was a jar of mayo in it would prevent me from eating it!

Jalima Thu 26-Jan-17 23:02:31

I won't tell you grin

cupcake

Jalima Thu 26-Jan-17 23:05:07

It was mainly just sunflower oil and eggs, lemon juice with a little vinegar which got driven off in the cooking I think, although I notice that they add soybean oil these days.
It was just a way to get children cooking on Blue Peter.