Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Moderate March

(139 Posts)
OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 11:26:16

This is the follow-on thread to Frugal February. It doesn’t really matter what we call it though.

Just keeping us all on track. Welcome back those who made it through last month and either lost weight/inches or at least didn’t put any on ??

Continuing with the idea that this isn’t about drastic weight loss but slow and steady life-style change. And support for each other.

For newcomers who might like to jump on, this isn’t advocating any particular diet or eating regime. There’s no ‘one size fits all’ and everyone really knows what works best for them if they are being truly honest.

Thought if we tackle it a month at a time it would seem more manageable. So good luck Moderators.

Greenfinch Thu 01-Mar-18 11:33:56

Well done OldMeg.I fell by the wayside very early last month but will start afresh today.Congratulations to all who made it through last month.

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 11:37:20

Welcome back Greenfinch and perhaps it will be easier woth spring just around the corne?????

Teetime Thu 01-Mar-18 11:41:27

I made several attempts in Feb to lose some weight but have stayed the same which I feel pretty bad about. I'm having my foot op on SApril 6th and i told them I was half a stone less than I really am so I need to get with the programme now. So far so good this morning.

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 11:44:22

Teetime you haven’t put any on. That’s good.

Millbrook Thu 01-Mar-18 12:38:01

Thanks for setting this up OldMeg

In your words, 'slow and steady lifestyle change' is what I'm after, so will try and keep going with this.

The snow (or rather, the associated worry and stress about family having to travel in it) is making me turn to comfort food. But hopefully the clean up ( all that brushing!) will burn off a few extra calories!

Tegan2 Thu 01-Mar-18 13:14:01

I solved the eating problem yesterday by sleeping most of the time! Was talking about diet etc with DD the other day and she mentioned plank exercises; when she demonstrated one I realised it was one I used to do when I had a back problem, so I've been doing it for a minute or so each night. I've actually been aching all over recently even though I haven't been able to get to the gym, and I realised the exercise was toning up my whole body. I also managed to stay 'up' to a count of 100, which I couldn't do before so the gym exercises must be helping with my core body strength. I'm going to get the aerobic stepper out of it's box [bough from Aldi ages ago and never used] and do a few minutes every so often using weights [also bought and rarely used]. That way, even though I'm snowbound it should speed up my metabolism. I'm feeling so much better than a month ago that I'm determined not to slip back into bad habits.

Tegan2 Thu 01-Mar-18 13:15:34

Millbrook; yes, I'm worrying about my daughter having to get to work tomorrow if her school isn't closed, as she'll have to use the motorway, something she never does.

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 14:45:40

Wow Tegan ?✨? I can only hold the plank for about 20 seconds.

Tegan2 Thu 01-Mar-18 16:33:18

I do count VERY fast [and I may be doing it wrong as well....]

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 21:21:28

grin

Cherrytree59 Thu 01-Mar-18 22:14:54

Pinch punch first of the month flowers

Just found the thread,
Yoga teacher turned up to class,
So did I and only one other!
We (as in the two of us,) had a great class.
Felt a bit like having our own personal trainer.
Much stretching and contortion.
Felt quite virtuous

However then went to lunch at a friends house.
No alcohol but lemon drizzle cake and chocolate,
Would have been rude to refuse blush

So as they say tomorrow is another day.

Teatime I had a foot op and did manage to lose 7lbs .
I had left it to last minute and lost it during August just one month before op in September.

I'm sure you will be successful this month.
Like you I didn't lose by weight in February but I am glad I didn't gain lbs.
Or would have had more to lose in March.

Like other GNers, my excuse for comfort eating is the weather and worry re family and traveling.
Hopefully this will be short lived!

March onwards and downwards

HenHarrier24 Fri 02-Mar-18 09:44:28

I’ve reverted to good old fashioned calorie counting, 1500 a day. Working so far, lost half a stone since beginning of Feb. Also a 20 brisk walk most days. All brought on by damaging my cartilage doing the NHS Couch to 5k. Physio glanced at me and said ‘well, you could lose 2 stones’ when asked how I could improve knee...

Sheilasue Fri 02-Mar-18 09:48:23

So glad you said that old meg, that’s how I am trying to diet hoping I am loosing it am not weighing myself at the moment but my trousers feel looser around the middle.

Cambia Fri 02-Mar-18 09:49:20

My knees hurt HenHarrier24 when I am doing Couch to 5k. This is the third year of attempting it. I always get to week 7 and have to stop because my knees hurt so much. Hoping when the weather warms up, so will my knees! Well done for sticking to 1500 calories, not easy at this time of year.

GrannyBettie Fri 02-Mar-18 09:53:04

I'd like to join in this ladies if I may. I am a new Gransnetter (well lurked for sometime with only one or two posts) so not sure how to pick up threads - advice most welcome. I will weigh in today and see how I go. Many thanks in advance. I think the support on the site will assist.........

HenHarrier24 Fri 02-Mar-18 09:56:37

Thanks Cambia, my injury happened on week 1! So cross, especially as I’d roped in DD to do it with me and now she’s going great guns on week 5! I don’t like being 60?

MargaretinNorthant Fri 02-Mar-18 10:13:40

I’ve just found this thread, please my I join? I think I may be a little different to most of you in that I an 80, have had both hips done, and have asthma and an under active thyroid.
I need to lose a lot of weight, so any tips I can pick up on here will be gratefully received. Someone mentioned weights.....what exactly do you DO with them?? I have a couple of grandchildren getting married next year and do not want to be this size then. Vanity....and at my age too!

I need to lose a lot of weigh

MargaretinNorthant Fri 02-Mar-18 10:15:13

Sorry about the bottom bit, blame the cat for leaping on me in the middle of typing!

Millbrook Fri 02-Mar-18 10:19:19

Morning all.

Welcome GrannyBettie...I'm quite new to posting too, and have only just discovered the 'I'm watching' button. That will send you an alert when there is activity on your chosen thread, so you. Am keep track of what's happening.

Good luck with Moderate March!

GrannyBettie Fri 02-Mar-18 10:30:16

thanks Millbrook. Got it now.

blueberry1 Fri 02-Mar-18 10:36:57

Nothing to say on Moderate March-I'm waiting for Avaricious April! grin

Barmeyoldbat Fri 02-Mar-18 11:12:57

We are both slim, very active and eat Ahea.thy diet but have a sweet tooth. So it came as a shock to. Learn that we were both at risk of diabetes because of our sweet tooth. So now we are on a a cake or biscuit once a week diet which is going to be hard with Easter coming up

DiscoGran Fri 02-Mar-18 11:26:09

On the subject of calorie counting, there was a programme on TV a while ago about the habits of seemingly "naturally slim" people and what they did differently to us chubsters.
I have adopted a couple of their strategies, and find them useful.

1. If you really really want/need cake/biscuits/other "bad" food, have it, enjoy it, but have it as a meal. Not as an extra.
2. If you have a day of over indulgence, cut back the next day. If I have a big meal in the evening or go out to eat and spoil myself with pudding, I find the next day I can't face breakfast and wait until mid morning or lunch time to eat.

The people in this programme ate all sorts of stuff, healthy and not so healthy, they just seemed to space it out more and so the calorie count evened out over the week. And they stayed slim.

bluekarma Fri 02-Mar-18 11:28:48

Hi I’d like to join as well please. Just turned 70 last month and I’m so unfit though I did ask for a Fitbit watch from my children for my birthday and went for a walk along the seafront with friends this week and ended doing nearly 20,000 steps that day. I know I need to exercise and keep snacking I’m afraid. I’ll try and do the plank and see how it goes. I’ve been a vegan for 14 months after being vegetarian for over 29 years which was so much easier. Not sure how to join though. Good luck to us all x