Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

GrannyIris5 Mon 11-Feb-19 21:05:00

Perhaps it’s because you are giving your body better nutrition even though the calorie count could be the same. 500 calories of cake isn’t the same as 500 calories of broccoli

NanKate Mon 11-Feb-19 22:13:14

Don’taskme well done for keeping at it. I agree with Fourormore you can make your body think you are in starvation mode, so an increase in calories may be the way to go. So pleased you are walking most days. I take a walking cane and if I feel wobbly I use it for support.

I know I have said this before, but it really works for me, I don’t cut out bread, potatoes etc because I know I would feel deprived and hungry. I eat small portions of these foods. Also I freeze down chocolate and occasional suck one piece which gives me all the taste I need without too many calories. If I am feeling desperate I have a cup of coffee instead of food and that helps.

I know we are all different and finding the diet plan for life sometimes takes a while, but it is worth searching.

Dontaskme Tue 12-Feb-19 08:18:59

Nfk - lucky you! I swear if I ate any bread or potatoes I'd be gaining as I wouldn't be able to stop!
NanKate - a stick would be useful, good idea. I could also use it to whack all these people that my DH worries I'm going to bump in to on my early morning walks who, according to him, want to rape and rob me! On the odd occasion I do ever met anyone they generally say "good morning". No idea where my DH thinks we live!
I don't think my body is going into starvation mode as I am losing weight. I think I feel hungry because I'm literally eating about half of what I used to and no snacks as such. I was a big eater, especially at the weekends when DH would bring in lots of "goodies" that we would pig out on while watching a film on tv. That's all stopped now. I find it easier to cut out rather than cut down - can't do a little bit of anything, has to be all or nothing.
I'd like to join a gym so I could swim, but the nearest one only has those ladders to get in and out which I can't do, no shallow end and no steps. Makes me think they don't want fat old people there! sad

All the best to everyone smile

NanKate Tue 12-Feb-19 08:34:03

It sounds to me Dontask that you have it sorted and going without works for you.

I remember the old days when we used to buy Crunchies, Flakes etc at the weekend. I can taste them now. However I have got to an age where my health and mobility must take top priority and clearly you feel the same.

Onward and downward. ?

NfkDumpling Tue 12-Feb-19 19:14:32

I think it must be a case of finding out what suits you. I’m eating loads but as GrannyIris says, it’s good for me stuff and no bad fat to speak of. All these years of depriving myself of walnuts!

I suspect I’m going to have to make more of an effort soon as I get more towards my personal target weight. (My target isn’t quite the same as that official chart - there’s just no way I’m going to ever get that skinny again, I’d have far too much surplus skin!)

Shirleyw Thu 14-Feb-19 05:48:02

Lost two pounds this week ???????

NanKate Thu 14-Feb-19 07:47:37

Another triumph for the Pear thread ?. Well done Shirley.

Rowantree Thu 14-Feb-19 10:19:07

Hello! I'm a pear, turning into an apple.
I lost a lot doing SW online but have fallen off the wagon and am struggling. I eat healthily but then I snack on other things and eat cake when we go out, undoing my good work.
I eat too fast and DH always piles my plate when he cooks (a lot now as I've fractured my wrist) but I'm trying to cut down on portion size and eat more plant-based foods.
I can't exercise much because of my fracture but am about to start a little light gardening again.
My aim is to eat as healthily as possible, but I'm definitely in the obese bracket for my height (now 4'11") and I don't really know how to speed up the weight loss. It's not just how gross I feel I look; it's more the fear of diabetes, heart disease and fatty liver. Oh dear :-(

Shirleyw Fri 15-Feb-19 04:49:26

Thanks nankate,
I can be a fast eater sometimes too rowantree , I practise a bit of mindful eating to slow me down lol....when you think, the faster one eats the more calories one consumes and the stomach not having time to tell us we are full ...till it's too late lol....

NfkDumpling Sat 16-Feb-19 19:23:51

I've had a setback. Best Beloved found some bacon in the freezer which he said needed eating (he does the cooking), Bacon and eggs one evening, bacon and avocado the next, then I fell for two bits of butter shortbread at a friends for coffee - and I've regained nearly two pounds! Back on the no fat regime today!

NanKate Sat 16-Feb-19 20:36:48

We all have weak moments and overindulge. IMO if you get straight back on the wagon that is a real positive. Those who say well I’ll start again next week have made things even harder for themselves. This is just my take on losing weight I don’t expect everyone to agree with me.

fourormore Sun 17-Feb-19 10:35:33

Don't get disheartened fellow strugglers!
I agree with NanKate about getting straight back into it!
After my 2lb loss last weekend I was on a high! smile
During this week I have had two 'lunches out' which exceeded my basic calorie count on both Thur and Fri, and it would have been easy yesterday not to have bothered and to start again next week but I was careful yesterday and at today's weigh-in I have lost 0.8 of a pound so I am happy with that! grin
My system is 'basic ball park' daily calorie count of 1100-1200 a day. It's not totally accurate but I was not eating enough at one stage! hmm
Keep up the good work everyone - supporting each other through the ups and the downs means such a lot! Thank you for keeping us going NanKateflowers

NanKate Sun 17-Feb-19 15:51:20

Thanks Fourormore.

I’ve just eaten ONE dark choc coffee cream ?

fourormore Sun 17-Feb-19 16:09:38

NanKate In my world Sunday is 'Sinday' !!!!!
This evening I will be having some chocolate grin
You have to spoil yourself sometimes or it becomes a bore!

Dontaskme Wed 20-Feb-19 07:13:18

Struggled over the weekend and so far this week. Not a good time of year for personal reasons and fibromyalgia has flared up, making me feel super p'd off and needing comfort food. sad
Its so hard to get the weight off yet so easy to put it back on!
I was walking every day but can't atm, so that doesn't help.
Got myself some new swimmies though and will be going swimming as soon as the schools go back. Nothing against kids but other peoples are so annoying! Have found a pool with shallow steps and although a drive away at least I can get in and out!

All the best to everyone smile

NanKate Wed 20-Feb-19 07:34:48

I’m so sorry to hear about your flare up Dontask it’s a miserable illness you have. I too have had a flare up of Polymyalgia, to be normal I should have a blood marker of between 1 and 15, mine are at present 80 !

Sometimes you have to cut yourself a bit of slack. I’m pleased to see you are sorting out some swimming, sadly I can’t swim so walking has to be my exercise.

Shirleyw Thu 21-Feb-19 04:16:46

Half a pound down this week. So far a total of one stone and 8lb I've lost.

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Feb-19 07:14:17

Back down to where I was. Why is it so easy to put on a couple of pounds and so difficult to get them off again?

Onwards and downwards!

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Feb-19 07:25:59

Brilliant Shirley, you put me to shame! Renewed effort here!

Fibromyalgia is a rotten thing to have Dontask. And the problems finding an accessible pool - I do wish the Powers That Be would realise what a boon a shelving entry to a pool is for so many people. All the pools around here (and there aren’t many) have step ladders. There is one within reach of us which has a ‘beach’ as it has a wave machine and it’s being rebuilt next year. Minus the wave machine and so minus the beach. This despite pleas from the many aged and disabled who use it. Roll on the good weather and a bit of warmth and dryness!

Have you tried walking in a pool NanKate? There’s a lot of us who do it. Head phones on, with a waterproof (shower) radio ploughing up and down!

NanKate Thu 21-Feb-19 08:14:40

Well done Shirley bet you feel better for the weight loss. I sometimes see myself in the mirror when I walk downstairs and realise my stomach looks acceptable to me not the fat flabby one I had.

No Nfk I didn’t realise you could just walk in a pool.

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Feb-19 17:26:02

It's very good for new knees Kate, strengthening without weight strain. Best not to go first thing in the morning though when the early birds are ploughing up and down before work!

Shirleyw Fri 22-Feb-19 06:27:00

Thanks guys, yes, I do feel better also I think clothes look better on me too.....have 2st 2 lb to go to target weight .
Hope your fibromyalgia has settled dontaskme

fourormore Sun 24-Feb-19 10:46:51

Are my scales allergic to round figures grin??? They seem to like 0.8!
After a 0.8 of a lb loss last weekend I have had another 'dodgy' week with two lunches out so I'm not really surprised that this weekend I have another loss of just 0.8!
I am happy with that because any loss is a loss - I am just impatient but am telling myself that if I lose 0.8 of a lb every week it is good.
Hope you are feeling better dontaskme - pain puts you off everything doesn't it.
Good luck everyone - onwards and downwards!

GrannyIris5 Sun 24-Feb-19 11:11:11

Don’t focus too much on the scales, I read that if a fat cell gives up its fat it replaces it with water for a while. What about NSV’s are your trousers getting baggy in the bum, not so tight to fasten, spare material in your bra, even no loss on the scale can show in inches or cm for the younger among us

Shirleyw Wed 27-Feb-19 19:34:35

Lost one pound this week.....slowly and surely....was hoping for two and a half as I been strict this week.....funny how it pans out...