Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

Shirleyw Thu 30-May-19 04:38:43

Well done oldandgrey that's fabulous.
Snap nankate ...I also unsurprisingly put on one and a half pounds....I did go a bit wild at the weekend, tbh, I thought it would of been more ......SP for the next 7 days....
Hope everyone else is having a good week....

Oldandverygrey Thu 30-May-19 16:18:55

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks, another trip to the Fat Club tomorrow, think I will stay for the happy clappy session.

Shirleyw Thu 30-May-19 21:06:14

LOL oldandgrey i occasionally stay but it is a bit of a strain clapping at every half a pound lost lol...but that half a pound is very important to people, I take it you go to slimming world like me? I would prefer more time on a talk on SW related topics...I havent stayed for a while, i am not struck on the taster week either when people bring in food they have made so we can try, no syn food....i know its good of people to do this but i am a bit fussy, i do wonder what the kitchen/ hygiene side of things are like....

MawBroonsback Thu 30-May-19 21:26:10

I have given up on SW and gone back to online WW. I like the ability to work out the points for my own recipes for home made meals as I try to avoid ready prepared food as much as possible.
I have lost 4lb in the first week and find it easy to stay well below my daily Points allocation.
Onwards and downwards!

merlotgran Thu 30-May-19 21:32:24

Online WW is brilliant. I've managed to keep off the two and a half stone I lost so haven't renewed my subscription which ran out last month but I'm sticking to the rules and recipes. If I start to gain weight I won't hesitate to join up again.

Shirleyw Fri 31-May-19 03:55:57

I like the SW cook books, i always cook my own meals too, I have never bought or tried a SW ready meal...that doesn't appeal to me...

Oldandverygrey Fri 31-May-19 15:44:28

Shirley - at the Fat Club (aka Slimming World) you get a round of applause if you gain weight!! why I do not know, mystery to me, I also have not tried SW ready meals, prefer to being a slave to the cooker! (that in itself deserves a round of applause!)

Shirleyw Fri 31-May-19 15:53:18

Lol oldandgrey,

fourormore Sun 02-Jun-19 09:38:17

Bit disappointed as I was hoping for more (don't we alwayssad) but at today's weigh in I have lost 1.2lb.
The encouraging thing is that my numbers on the scales now start with 17!!! Ok it's 179.8lbs but at least the horrible 18 has gone.
Only 3 weeks to holiday now so hoping for a better result next week.
Good luck to all fellow losers! flowers

NanKate Sun 02-Jun-19 09:45:29

You are going down Fourormore so although it is a disappointment it's still in the right direction.

How lovely you will be going on holiday a slimmer version of yourself.

Shirleyw Wed 05-Jun-19 17:55:06

That's still good Fourormore.

I managed to knock off 2lbs this week.

Oldandverygrey Wed 05-Jun-19 18:32:40

Well done Shirley, keep going.

NanKate Thu 06-Jun-19 07:42:29

Weighed myself today and scales gave 3 different readings ! Still just about same weight dependent on which result I accept ?

Shirley ?

Dontaskme Thu 06-Jun-19 08:43:17

Morning all - I know exactly what you mean NanKate, that's what happens with my scales and old floors. I've been going to the GP's surgery every month or so to be weighed instead.

I've now lost another couple of pounds but its really slowed down. I don't really actually want to lose much more as my skin has gone sooo saggy and my face has changed from being smooth and plump to being wrinkly and crepey. I now look in the mirror and see my Mother looking back at me sad

I'll keep going until I've lost the 4 more lbs to make it 4 stone in 5 months but, and I think I may have said this before, I wish I'd stayed a fatty as I 100% looked younger and more healthy than I do now!

All the best to everyone and well done all.

NanKate Sun 09-Jun-19 08:15:12

I know what you mean Dontask. I see my Nan staring back at me in the mirror ?.

The health benefits of being slimmer are numerous and so getting to a healthy weight is very important IMO.

Keep going folks.

fourormore Sun 09-Jun-19 11:13:09

Life is a ***** sometimes isn't it! sad angrysad angrysad angrysad angry
After a determined week a loss of sad angry 0.6lbs.
I think I am a victim of not listening to my own advice as I admit skipping a couple of breakfasts (maybe more?) this week and been extra strict for the rest of the time, so probably not eating enough?
Anyway I'm now just a week and a half away from my holiday so I will not skip meals but be good for the next ten days in hope!
It's a pain when you plateau but with the great support from my fellow losers on this thread I will succeed.
Good luck to everyone else flowers flowers flowers

NanKate Sun 09-Jun-19 14:57:59

You are right you can plateau when eating too little Four. Back to the drawing board. Losing weight is not an easy business, but so worthwhile.

Our small band of losers are definitely winners, KEEP GOING ?

Shirleyw Mon 10-Jun-19 04:51:09

Morning. Not had a good weekend food wise....I haven't pigged out exactly but I tried out a couple new recipes and just had to try them ...one involved a dessert and the other lovely cheese lol....also my son came and cooked us a full English yesterday....how can I say no to that!! ....so Wednesday the scales will tell what I had lol.....but week days I have been good.
Do you guys think weekends are the worse time to 'over indulge'?... It's like it's programmed in to me ?

NanKate Mon 10-Jun-19 15:29:43

Yes I always have a drink or two at the weekend. ?

Are you always up so early Shirley ?

Shirleyw Mon 10-Jun-19 18:13:05

LOL Nankate, my sleeping patterns are erratic at times and when i wake silly hours i make a cuppa and take back to bed with me plus my ipad, once i browsed a bit i put my ear plugs in and watch or listen to something light and i drift in and out of sleep again lol...

NanKate Mon 10-Jun-19 20:32:10

I listen on YouTube to a free 30 minute crystal bowl meditation Shirley and I usually drift off. Tibetan bells are also sleep inducers.

Shirleyw Mon 10-Jun-19 21:32:59

Oh that does sounds good nankate , will look it up, thanks for that.

Dontaskme Tue 11-Jun-19 06:13:37

ShirleyW me too! I've 100% put on but I'm going to fast for a bit now to get it back off!
Had a special meal out and have felt really hungry lately. Went food shopping with DH and he got "goodies" which I found myself unable to resist. I've realised that I haven't been drinking enough which has made me feel hungry, so am now being more sensible and keeping hydrated along with banning DH from the food shop.
I've just posted on another thread that I've had fillers in my face! I just couldn't bear looking at myself and was really regretting losing weight as my face had changed so much I looked positively ancient! Now plumped back up and I look like me again. Still a bit swollen and bruised but its only been 4 days. I'm so glad I had it done as losing weight is hard and didn't want to be disappointed with the result.
I know some people don't agree with injectables but I love it and each to their own. My face, my money, my reward to myself for losing the weight smile

All the best to everyone

NanKate Tue 11-Jun-19 06:44:54

Go for it Dontask. I’ve had my teeth whitened and am very pleased with the results. Someone said you could have a short holiday with the money it cost. It’s all about doing what is right for you.

I don’t know if it was the cold, wet weather yesterday but I definitely had some extra snacks yesterday, must get back on track today.

Shirleyw Wed 12-Jun-19 17:10:01

Like nankate said dontaskme go for it. I'm not keen on needles but a good friend of mine has botox etc, she does look good. My neck is getting a bit wrinkly i suppose, i might change my mind one day and have it ironed out lol...