Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

NanKate Fri 10-May-19 11:53:20

I've read FatGran that taking a short break from a diet regime (not going mad or anything) can help trigger a weight loss when you return to it.

I follow my own regime of eating everything I want but in far smaller quantities. The weight lost has been slow but steady.

Shirleyw Fri 10-May-19 19:53:01

Are we the three Musketeers?
I think so nankate....

thats fabulous dontaskme, well done...

fourormore Sun 12-May-19 10:51:00

Hello everyone!
Having been a faithful member of the 'I'm a Pear' club since it started, sadly, I have been in a black hole for a while for various reasons and of course some of the weight went back on sad
Light bulb moment! I have started having knee pain which my GP reckons is the start of arthritis. Altho I am not horrendously overweight I am on the wrong side of healthy. I have decided to fend off the arthritis for as long as possible and taking away a bit of weight that my poor knees have to support can only help.
Fatgran I have been following the slimfast diet for two weeks now and have lost a total of 5.4lbs so far. I certainly don't intend to stay on it forever but it has given me a good start.
NanKate Dontask and Shirley you all seem to be making progress so hopefully I can encourage you and you me!!!

NanKate Sun 12-May-19 21:48:08

Good to see you back Fourormore. Family problems can easily distract us from weight loss, we are only human. The good thing is you have returned to us small band of losers.

Onward and downward ? girls.

Shirleyw Mon 20-May-19 04:59:44

Forgot to write in Wednesday but ....as expected...I put on one and a half pounds....see what this Wednesday brings lol....

Shirleyw Mon 20-May-19 05:01:08

......hi fourormore.....nice to see you ..

fourormore Mon 20-May-19 14:15:20

Aww thank you NanKate and Shirleyw for your welcome back. We really are a lovely little band of losers!
I am still on course, but unfortunately we had a weekend away which kicked it all to touch. I missed my usual Sun morning weigh-in and my 'unofficial weigh-in' this morning was 3lb up sad
That was to be expected tho so I am not recording it 'officially' as I am back on track today and it was a lovely weekend away!!!
Hopefully the scales will be kinder next Sunday!

Dontaskme Mon 20-May-19 21:51:16

Hello NanKate, Shirleyw and fourormore - sorry about your "blackhole" four and good idea re: helping knees/arthritis.
I haven't been on for a few days as we've been away visiting family. Dread to think how much I've put on but it will be 100% a fair few lbs as I've had "treats" galore again, tut tut smile.
I really must stop having these spells of stuffing my face. Twice in the space of not very long is just not good enough and my 46lbs lost will soon diminish!
All the best everyone

NanKate Mon 20-May-19 22:02:30

I know how easy it is to slip backwards Dontask but at least you are back on the thread and thinking about losing again. Keep going, our small band of losers need you so that we can all encourage each other.

I have had some butterscotch choc tonight and I am not proud of myself.

Dontaskme Tue 21-May-19 12:57:07

Butterscotch smile
I've actually found it easier now I'm back home and alone again -DH is at work. Visiting family is all well and good but when they insist on wafting smells of wonderful delights around the kitchen its too hard to resist! I'm on gallons of coffee today which will suffice.
I just wish someone would actually notice that I've lost - bumped into a neighbour this morning who I haven't seen for ages but they made no comment. Silly that I need that affirmation but as you all know its hard blooming work so would be nice to know it shows! Ah the vanity!
Docs tomorrow for something totally unrelated but I'll get him to weigh me. We can but hope its not too bad. I'll let you know.
All the best everyone

Shirleyw Wed 22-May-19 16:15:37

I know what you mean dontaskme....it is nice for people to notice and comment.....
Lost 3 and a half pounds this week, well pleased...also two stone exactly .

Dontaskme Wed 22-May-19 21:24:46

Well done Shirleyw, 3 and a half pounds in a week is fabulous smile

I am flabbergasted to be able to report that when I got weighed by GP today I'm the same as I was before my latest face stuffing episode! I've had odd days of complete fasting in between so I suppose that's why. Still at a 46lbs loss, phew.

Want to lose another 10lbs over the next 4 weeks to make it 56lbs (4 stone) in 5 months. Wish me luck please smile

All the best everyone

Abuelana Wed 22-May-19 21:41:22

Gosh what a great post. I’ve been to the cardiologist tonight as I think my BP way to high - he says no more meds but lose weight. 5 kilos to start - so please may I join you in your journey. I’d be happy to support everyone.
I’m starting by eating only 60 grams of bread a day. 4 pieces of fruit and more water at least 1 1/2 Litre then healthy menus.
There's a great book called Pinch of Nom with excellent recipes in it runs sort of with SW so I can post some easy recipes out of the book if that helps anyone?

crazyH Wed 22-May-19 21:46:45

I am a pear.....I know I am because my children tell me ....they never lie ?

NanKate Wed 22-May-19 22:31:14

Hi there Abu and Crazy welcome to our thread. We are a small band of losers but we are all reducing bit by bit.

We all are following different diets that suit us. I started on the NHS diet plan and now I am eating everything in smaller portions. It works for me.

We all come off the wagon occasionally but the important thing is we get back on again.

Our slogan is Onwards and Downwards ?

Abuelana Thu 23-May-19 06:38:36

Great happy to be part of I’m a pear when in fact I’m fat so not sure what’s under the blubber.
Starting today and feeling supported onwards and downwards works for me.
Minimum 2 stone to lose.

NanKate Thu 23-May-19 08:12:24

We are here for you Abu during the downs and ups of this weight loss business. Not easy but well worth doing.

Abuelana Thu 23-May-19 20:49:50

Nankate
Thank you thank you will be checking in regularly and all good wishes for everyone’s weight loss

Oldandverygrey Fri 24-May-19 17:50:13

WHOOPEE today I gained my three stone weight loss certificate! taken me nine months - another three pounds to go.

NanKate Fri 24-May-19 20:09:43

Very well done Oldandgrey you quite rightly should be proud of such an achievement.

fourormore Sat 25-May-19 12:14:51

WOW! Well done Oldandverygray What an inspiration to us all you are! And only three more pounds to go - I'm not jealous (muchgrin)
It is great when any of our small band of losers reports success - it spurs us all on and we also sympathise with others when it's not going so well.
Tomorrow morning is my weigh-in. Last weekend we were away on a long-weekend break and my unofficial weigh on on the Monday was 3lb up. Not surprising with a 3 course dinner on the Friday evening and then the 'buffet type' munching over the weekend and coach journeys there and back. I am hoping tomorrow morning will show that I have lost last weekends gain - can I hope for a bit more??? hmm
Speak to you tomorrow losers grin

Oldandverygrey Sat 25-May-19 17:32:39

Thank you Nan and Four - sometimes life gets in the way of our food plan expectations! but we must battle on, way to go.

NanKate Sun 26-May-19 09:10:43

I must 'fess up I have put on one and a half pounds, back to the drawing board.

fourormore Sun 26-May-19 10:08:46

NanKate hang on in there it is a blip - you will recover flowers
This morning = minus 2.8lb sadso just short of losing what I put on following last weekend's binge.
This past week was a 'short' week though and I have got back on track so I am reasonably happy to be back where I was before going away.
Only four weeks now to our holiday so I'm on the starting blocks for a last purge.
Good luck everyone - keep going we will succeed!

crazyH Sun 26-May-19 10:18:53

Thankyou Nankate......I love my food ....I'm a fridge-raider, no will power?