Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Do you weigh yourself every day?

(120 Posts)
JennyNotFromTheBlock Wed 02-Sep-20 06:14:49

The other day I saw an article devoted to how weighing yourself everyday can help you with weight loss and so on- here it is . Do you really believe that? It also says that weighing every day helps to "increase awareness of your weight and weight-related behaviors" but what about it increasing your anxiety? Have any of you felt it or is it just me being nervous about weighing myself every day? As a result I gave up doing it that often and now I walk up to my scales once a week. Am I the only one being scared of the scales?

Calendargirl Wed 02-Sep-20 07:06:37

Just get weighed once a week.

fevertree Wed 02-Sep-20 07:12:13

Hi JNFTB welcome if you're new to GN.

I can think of no reason why anyone would want to weigh themself every day. Or even once a week. I believe there is such a thing as 'data bounce' or natural fluctuations which is not conducive to scrutinising one's weight on a daily basis.

Perhaps someone who knows more than me will come along soon to comment with more authority.

I weigh myself once in a blue moon ... smile

Lexisgranny Wed 02-Sep-20 07:35:38

Can’t claim to have any authority on the matter, but my DH and I both weigh ourselves everyday and have done for years, the only time that I stopped, I gained nearly two stones.

We have found that despite daily exercise and having the same fluid intake, that various foods affect our weight more despite taking their daily calory/fat/carbohydrate content into consideration.

By checking daily, we know that the next day we should cut down. Despite what we read and what Everyone tells us, we cannot control our weight by weighing once a week my DH had a tendency to rapid weight gain for years, but now only varies by a pound or so.

I am not advocating that anyone should do this, we follow it for medical reasons and it works for us, just as weekly weighing, or indeed not weighing at all works for others, I would certainly not dismiss any other view out of hand, it is whatever works for you

M0nica Wed 02-Sep-20 07:54:31

I weigh myself every other day. I find it reassuring. When you see how much your weight fluctuates from day to day, you realise how much weight can vary - and still be in normal bounds.

It has also enabled me to see the range my weight should be with in. If I start to see the upper figure rising slightly, then I know it is time to make a couple of minor changes to my life to get back within my normal range.

I found the problem with weekly weigh ins is that if one week you record an exceptionally low weight and the next week an exceptionally high one - and you cannot know that - then you can get unduly depressed because you seem to have gained a lot of weight in a week despite eating sensibly, when the result would have been entirely different if you had weighed yourself the day before or after.

I am so used to weighing myself every other day, It is as much part of my routine as cleaning my teeth that I do not have any concerns about it, nor does it bother me even if the scales show, say a 5lb weight rise in two days, I know it will be back down 2 days later.

It is the trend in your weight that matters, not your weight on any particular day.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 07:58:34

I do weigh every day but not a lot of point as I’ve stayed the same weight give or take for donkeys years.

I have really ancient clothes that still fit perfectly.

Hetty58 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:08:10

I've read that weighing every day has a positive effect psychologically on controlling weight gain. Therefore it could help the overweight.

However, there is no logical physical reason for it. Our weight would vary depending on food and fluid intake, elimination etc.

I never weigh myself but it's done at the yearly doctor's check up.

Curlywhirly Wed 02-Sep-20 08:08:57

I have weighed myself every day for years; if I put on a couple of pounds, then I know to be careful for the next day or two. Works for me, I have only put 6 pounds on since I got married 44 years ago!

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 08:10:45

No. There’s enough depressing news every day as it is.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:14:47

Lucca

No. There’s enough depressing news every day as it is.

?

Gelisajams Wed 02-Sep-20 08:23:40

I find it helpful as I’m trying to lose a few pounds. I’ve lost a stone since lockdown when I managed to get motivated with both diet and exercise. I’ve got 5 pounds to go to reach my BMI. If I’ve gone up a bit, my scales measure in quarter pounds, I consider what I’ve eaten the day before and vice versa if I’ve lost. This morning I’ve gained over a pound, but we called in Mc D’s on the way home and I ate a couple off luxury chocolate biscuits, so no surprises there!
I’ll eat sensibly today and hopefully I’ll be back down tomorrow. DS2 is seriously overweight but avoids going on the scales. I think it reminds him how overweight he is and he doesn’t want to change his eating habits even though he knows he should!

travelsafar Wed 02-Sep-20 08:24:14

Yes first thing every morning. I then know i have to cut back or try and move more if i have gone up a bit. I have stayed the same weight for the past 18months so it works for me.

tickingbird Wed 02-Sep-20 08:27:28

I do these days. First thing in the morning after getting out of bed. Nip to the loo and hop on the scales.

janeainsworth Wed 02-Sep-20 08:33:29

I do. I agree with Lexisgranny and M0nica <waves, lovely to have you backsmile> that it’s more about certain foods, and the range of your weight than a target weight.
I like to keep my weight within a 1kg range & if it goes above my upper limit for any length of time it’s usually due to portion control having got a bit out of hand.
In my 50’s I gradually gained weight & didn’t realise until I found my clothes wouldn’t fit any more. This was partly due to being hypothyroid but also poor eating habits when I was working.
It took 5 years of portion control & not snacking to get to the size and shape I wanted to be. In the process I lost 10kg and there’s no way I want to risk putting all that back on again because I feel much better at the weight I am now.

silverlining48 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:42:49

I weigh every day for the same reason as others who do this too, and record weight weekly in my old SW book. I have done this since losing 2 stones 9 years ago and it keeps me on track.

Maggiemaybe Wed 02-Sep-20 08:47:42

I weigh myself daily as a matter of routine. If my weight is up a pound or two consistently over a few days, I know to cut back slightly on my eating. It works for me.

And of course, the weight registered before I get dressed is so much more acceptable than any showing with my clothes on at a GP check. smile

EllanVannin Wed 02-Sep-20 08:57:22

You shouldn't weigh yourself every day as weight will fluctuate due to water in the body and besides, you'll end up paranoid.
This way, what you see as a gain could quite possibly be water.
Just eat less and exercise more, it's the only way. You can train yourself to only have small amounts and over time your stomach will learn to accept smaller portions.

CorneliaStreet Wed 02-Sep-20 09:11:49

I don't weigh myself... well, at all. Lucca is right- there’s enough depressing news every day.
By the way, I've heard that weighing every day really does increase your anxiety if you already have any issues connected to your weight or eating disorders. Also your weight can fluctuate due to different reasons like hormones, water and so on. Here is a good post about weighing every day and there are several cons mentioned, so maybe you should check it out, Jenny. Basically you just make yourself nervous about the numbers that sometimes aren't even true. Maybe it's better to weigh yourself once a week or even less often?
If you are loding weight and want to track the progress, the numbers on the scales don't really matter but your body measurements do. I'd suggest taking pics of yourself and then combining them into a photo collage in some collage makers like this to see the difference, or just get yourself a pair of jeans to compare how they look on you now and how they will look on you in a month. Here is a good article on tracking your progress and this list doesn't include weighing wink

Riverwalk Wed 02-Sep-20 09:13:24

Yes I do - keeps me on the straight and narrow. It's just part of my morning routine.

Marmight Wed 02-Sep-20 09:32:11

I haven’t weighed myself in years. The shock would have been too much! However, 3 weeks ago after 4 months of slobbing & pigging, I embarked on the fast 800 ‘diet’. I will know when I’ve lost weight but friends persuaded me to weigh myself So I did, 2 weeks in, and was quite surprised. I thought I was much heavier. I’ll weigh myself every week from now on. Maybe it’ll spur me on ..... ?

janeainsworth Wed 02-Sep-20 09:37:10

Well, I’m happy to assure you ev and Cornelia that I’m neither paranoid nor anxious about my weight and I’m pretty sure that Riverwalk, Maggie and others who weigh themselves every day aren’t either.

Glorybee Wed 02-Sep-20 09:52:10

I agree janeainsworth, it really isn’t a big deal for me either. I weigh myself everyday as I’m trying to lose another stone, but it’s more ‘keeping an eye’ on it than anything else.
It’s just a part of my morning routine now.

shysal Wed 02-Sep-20 09:53:38

I am another who weighs every day of my life. If it has gone up one day, even by just 1lb, I am more careful that day. I put on nearly a stone at the beginning of lockdown, due to baking too much, but over the last 3 weeks I have managed to lose 9lb on Michael Moseley's plan.
I plot the progress on a daily graph, very satisfying to see the downward trend.

Maggiemaybe Wed 02-Sep-20 09:54:40

janeainsworth

Well, I’m happy to assure you ev and Cornelia that I’m neither paranoid nor anxious about my weight and I’m pretty sure that Riverwalk, Maggie and others who weigh themselves every day aren’t either.

And you’d be quite right, janea, about me at least. smile

grannyrebel7 Wed 02-Sep-20 10:09:44

I weigh myself every day. It's a good way to keep a check on your weight. If I gain a few pounds then I'll cut back on food and up the exercise for a few days.