Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a Pear ? the sequel part 2 !

(1001 Posts)
NanKate Sun 01-Nov-20 20:35:42

On 08 May 2018 I started this thread for those who wanted to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle. Many people have joined up and many pounds lost and a few gained.

However the 2 Gransnetters who have stayed the course from the beginning are Fourormore and Shirleyw who have helped to keep me on the straight and narrow, most of the time ?, and kept up our spirits.

We now have some other excellent new regulars who have joined our ranks and they have brought new ideas and support. Many thanks girls what would I do without you all.

Do join us the rules are simple.

Choose your own style of diet plan.
Check in regularly with a report of the highs and lows of the diet.

Have an occasional binge but get back on the wagon ASAP.
Pass on any useful diet tips.

So for example I started calorie counting with the NHS Diet Plan. I now eat what I like but make portion control my mantra.

You have nothing to lose, other than weight, on this thread.

Please join us at this difficult time in all our lives with the Pandemic.

So Onward and Downward girls ??

Sarahmob Sun 08-Nov-20 09:39:38

Whiff I was sad to read your post, conflict in families is awful, I know from personal experience! It does hurt and can affect your mood and diet. Just rest assured that your friends are here for support.

My weight this week maintained, blaming DGS birthday cake and fish and chips! I enjoyed every mouthful so I’m not sorry. I’ve noticed that I’ve become more mindful about the things I eat so if I do deviate from the diet as long as I enjoyed what I ate I don’t beat myself up over it and just get back onto the diet again at the next meal.

fourormore Sun 08-Nov-20 10:53:37

Another 'maintained' this week - the scales actually say I've lost 0.4 of a pound so I'll take that!
Sarahmob you and I must be soul mates as husband and I have now fallen into a Fish and Chip Friday pattern blush He cooks all week so it's a treat!
These strange times are causing us all stress and worry so we need to be good to ourselves and understand our own feelings - we need a treat every now and again. However we have very little else all day on Fridays now, so it seems to work for us?
Those who have known me from the beginning know that I have 'Sinday' instead of Sunday each week. I am good from Mon to Sat inclusive but on Sindays I allow myself treats! I don't go mad but ............ hmm
During this pandemic we have had a very frightening time with terminally sick relations and having to shield means no swimming etc. I am so pleased to say that I have stayed with a window of about 2lbs so no great losses but no great gains either.
We need to be kind to each other during this horrible time but we need to remember to be kind to ourselves too!
Whiff Capt Tom says Tomorrow will be a Good Day - hang on in there - we are all here for you and thanks to all who have been here for me too!
Good luck everyone KEEP SAFE flowersflowersflowers

Good luck everyone

Whiff Sun 08-Nov-20 10:59:30

Dorset thank you for your support and everyone else of course.

I'm back to my normal self just my body playing up. But it will go back to its normal level in a few days.

Well my weight has finally moved unfortunately up a pound but after Friday I expected more . But back on track today.

Shirleyw it's funny how dogs always know their limits. One of my neighbours has a lovely little dog. She will only turn right coming off the drive will never go left. My next door neighbour has a beautiful German shepherd. He doesn't bark at people but you know if there is a dog he doesn't like as he barks at them but not at every dog. Never been a dog owner it always fascinates how much they are like people with their likes and dislikes. Strangely only one cat owner in the whole street.

Well hope you all have a good week.

Whiff Sun 08-Nov-20 11:11:26

Sarahmob and fourormore we crossed posts. Thank you both for your support. Captain Tom or should say Sir Tom is a wise man. And in his own way has united most of the country. Don't say all as there are those who have no intention of following the rules. Always the minority trying to spoil it for the majority.

Dread to think what chaos Trump is going to cause before Biden takes over.

Glad we live in this country.

Stay safe.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 08-Nov-20 12:52:43

That sounds like a lovely celebration sarahmob?. Very wise words too,its important I think to enjoy treats but get back on it.
Yes, I think its vital we are kind to ourselves and others fourormore. I must admit whilst watching the service at the cenotaph I was saddened to see the Queen looking a little older,a little frailer. I'm not a flag waving royalist and some of them annoy me but the Queen is a one off! I suppose it's easy to assume her life is easier in many ways. However she too has been forced into isolation, trying to work from home,worried about family. No amount of servants and palaces can quite make up for that. In fact seeing her on that balcony looking very human made me feel more than any speech we are all on this together. Sir Tom,there are no words, a true inspiration!
I've dug out my very old weight watchers cook book so I can make their parsnip and pepper goulash, lovely! Have a wonderful week everyone ?

Shirleyw Mon 09-Nov-20 04:59:17

Mornin' all....lost another 2lbs. BMI is looking better lol...

i like the queen too dorsetcupcake and a few of the royals, but like you, not a flag waver ???....I like Charlie boy and the eldest son, not struck on the youngest Lol....

Yes, sad to see the cenotaph service atm.....the poppy appeal must of suffered dreadfully this year....as all charities I know but the poppy appeal is different ...also, shall have a little gripe whilst on the subject....when life was 'normal' I used to get irritated if in a shop on or before armistice if they played Christmas music, and m&s was a culprit of this....I really think Christmas music and decs up should be after armistice....

Well, hope you all have a good week....looks rainy this week after a lovely few days.....

CocoPops Mon 09-Nov-20 05:32:56

Hello everyone, I've shifted 1 of the 2 lbs I gained over Halloween and weighed 131 lbs this morning. My physiotherapist has told me to swim more, bike more, do more "yoga for back pain" (DVD) plus his exercises. Flippin' time consuming when I walk my dog for 1 1/2 hrs + too! So I'm swimming twice a week, cycling 3 times and doing his (boring!) daily exercises. Need to motivate myself for yoga though....The good news is I have reduced the pain meds by half. The bad news is all this makes me feel hungry!
We're having a rise in Covid 19 cases and 2 weeks of stricter rules. No social gatherings allowed so I have no excuse not to conform to fizzo's plan!

Whiff Mon 09-Nov-20 06:18:53

Shirleyw and Cocopops well at your loses .

This is the first year I haven't brought a poppy. But will make a donation on line. My dad served in the South Staffordshire regiment and saw service in Egypt, India , Burma and Naples. He would only talk about the funny things and a few sad things that happened. But never what he had to do. He always said they were at war and did things because they were ordered and they were fighting for their country and people's freedom. He would never claim his campaign medals he never approved of having a medal to fight. Medals for bravery and courage yes but not anything else. He was 17 when he joined up. And his war like thousands of others didn't finish when Germany surrendered. He was so proud to march with the British legion every remembrance day after he was de mobbed. Every time he heard a marching band he would well up.
His time in the army instilled a need to help others and he was a member of St John's Ambulance service for over 30 years.

I don't know what he would think about all these idiots marching against wearing masks etc.

My friend in the Midlands is in isolation for 2 weeks because one of the workman who was at her home on the 28 th has tested positive for Covid . All the others tested negative. The builder phoned her on Saturday.
She had kept her distance while they worked so hopefully she will be ok.

Cocopops great news you have been able to reduce your pain meds. But like everything to do with medication there is always a down side. Just have low cal treats to hand or my be suck a sugar free sweet. That might help.

My down side to my anti seizure tablets is when the pain flares it's worse than ever but I will put up with that not to have the seizures. I always try to find a positive out of a negative. Sometimes hard to do but usually find something ever if it's a pretty cloud.

As you can see I am back to my normal self. No more self pity. Hate that about myself. Don't let it over whelm me usually, I do know why it happened.

Anyway have a good week everyone.

Whiff Mon 09-Nov-20 06:19:49

Meant to saw well done. Doh!

Sarahmob Sun 15-Nov-20 07:06:18

Hope everyone is bearing up while we are under these extra restrictions (if you’re living in England of course). I’ve had a 2.5lb loss this week, which puts me on exactly 2 stone since the beginning of August. My BMI is looking lots healthier and I feel so much better. I’m getting bored now though which is my danger time, so I need to look for ways to switch it up a bit. I miss bread and find lunches difficult in the winter. Any ideas you lovely ladies?

NanKate Sun 15-Nov-20 07:08:19

How are we all doing ?

Christmas isn’t that far away and I always try to cut back before then so that I can have a bit of room for indulgence over the holiday. In the dim and distant past I used to overeat for about 10 days! However in recent years 2 or 3 days max.

NanKate Sun 15-Nov-20 07:11:35

Well done Sarah. Now is the time to keep going especially with Xmas not far off. I like soup for my lunch no doubt some of the cooks amongst us will give some good recipes. Keep up your resolve ?

Whiff Sun 15-Nov-20 08:45:22

Sarahmob well done that's brilliant. Glad you are enjoying the benefits of losing 2st. My lunch everyday all year round is my whatever soup. Red lentils, veg Oxo and whatever veg I have in fresh or frozen. I do ring the changes by instead of lentils put in a tin of pulses. Or soup size pasta. If using pulses I still blitz it . But if using pasta blitz the cooked veg and then add the pasta for 20-30 mins. I put it into a big container and store it in the fridge. It always seems to thicken up. So I put my allotted number of spoons into the pan and then put in some extra water to loosen it. Bring it to the boil. That way it takes longer to eat. This week I didn't have my usual bread as I am cutting it out for a while. If I do want some I will make a soda bread. But using low fat yogurt slacked with skimmed milk. Butter milk to high on calories. My last 2 dinners have been fish pie 2 more portions left. Only 287 cals portion.

My weight has stayed the same as last week. Haven't taken off the pound I put on. Haven't exercised this week. Got another UTI. On antibiotics for 3 days. Hopefully they will do the trick and not end up having to have 3 lots like September.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 15-Nov-20 10:17:12

That's brilliant Sarahmob,well done?. I think winter lunches are much harder as a salad isnt always such an enticing option . Soups are wonderful,Whiff has described the process brilliantly. They are also so nutritious and great fun can be had experimenting with flavours. I too am a big fan of lentils and pulses or a little pasta to make them even more nutritious and filling. Sourdough bread is brilliant although I have never made my own. I typed low carb bread into my supermarket search with Asda and it came up with a polish sliced loaf which is lovely and only a pound.! There are also some interesting crisp bread type things that look a bit like poppadums and are favoured by slimming world. I know slimming world also have recipes for something called cloud bread which my daughter says is fine.
Pinch of Nom are very good and many of their recipes are online.
I must admit my go to lunch is often oatcakes with tinned mackerel. Its not particularly low in calories but I tend to go for a brunch anyway,and it's very filling!
I think NanKate the secret to Christmas is that it's not a non stop treat from the first of December. It will be interesting this year as many of the occasions where treats are all part of the experience will be limited. I suppose its choosing the things you particularly enjoy and enjoying those. Strangely over the past months I have gone off chocolate,I dont dislike it but dont crave it! So,I wont be buying an overload of chocolate just because that's normally what you do?.
I hope you feel better soon Whiff. Have you tried cranberry juice?
I lost half a pound which a step in the right direction! Thinking about salads has made me realise I quite fancy some so will add to my order!
Have a good week everyone ?

fourormore Sun 15-Nov-20 10:46:06

A loss of half a pound this week so I'm happy with that. I know that I am not always as strong willed as I would like during these uncertain times but I am happy if I 'stay the same' as I have too much to worry about without fretting over my weight. I know I am not getting my usual exercise so cannot expect to lose can I hmm
Everyone is doing so well - Sarahmob is regularly losing a couple of pound which is amazing - don't give up or allow yourself to slip now!!!! But remember - a slip does not mean failure! I've lost count of the number of times I've fallen off but I have got back on again.
Please keep safe everyone!!!
Onwards and downwards! flowers

Whiff Sun 15-Nov-20 11:09:48

Well done Dorset and fourormore with your loses. I have a glass of cranberry juice every day. I had a total hysterectomy when I was 38. And read a Swedish study that said it cut down the UTI s in patients with spinal injuries. As after my op had 6 infections after having it. That's 24 years ago now. Thank you Dorset for suggesting it.

Shirleyw Mon 16-Nov-20 04:50:43

Morning girls....well done on the loss sarah dorset & four..I lost 3lbs this week...week 15 calorie counting.
It's been a couple days where I been really fancying something to scoff but I did refrain from it thank goodness...it's sooo easy to give in , depends on how the brain is feeling lol....
Take care

CocoPops Mon 16-Nov-20 06:14:29

Weight the same as last week..
Carrot and ginger soup recipe Serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
3 cloves chopped garlic
2 heaping cups roughly chopped carrots
1 .5 tsp chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3-4 cups veggie stock
1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
salt and pepper
Saute onions, add garlic and carrots and saute.
Simmer 30 mins. and liquidise. Serve with a swirl of yogurt. Freezes well.

Whiff Mon 16-Nov-20 08:09:05

Shirleyw well done brilliant weight loss.
Cocopops never put ginger in anything other than cakes or chutneys. Can you taste it in the soup or does it just give it a spicy flavour?

CocoPops Mon 16-Nov-20 16:56:06

Yes Whiff you can taste the ginger. Mixed spice would work too. We are on a "covid circuit breaker" here and advised not to gather with another household. My daughter and family live nearby but now we can't eat together, I do a weekly soup delivery instead. The kiddies like Granny's soup after playing soccer on Saturdays. Will make veggie soup with a few puy lentils thrown in this week. I love making bread so will make some bread rolls too.

Whiff Tue 17-Nov-20 06:45:12

Cocopops it's wonderful your family still get your soup. Sounds like it is a family tradition. Granny's soup after football. It will be something they remember fondly when they are adults.

Sarahmob Tue 17-Nov-20 15:17:38

Shirley that’s a brilliant loss, well done! Thanks for the recipe CocoPops I’ll give that a go.

Shirleyw Tue 17-Nov-20 18:52:33

thanks sarah, i think i have made good use of the lockdown with no restaturants to frequent lol....you have also done brilliantly....not easy is it?

Sarahmob Sun 22-Nov-20 07:29:47

I’ve had another good week with 3lb loss so thanks for your encouragement to stay on the straight and narrow ladies. I can honestly say that I’m never ‘hungry’ which points to much of my overeating as being emotional/boredom/habit eating previously. I think this time round of dieting (which I want to make the last!) I’ve looked at the psychology of my eating as well as restricting calories and upping the exercise in order to make long term changes.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 22-Nov-20 09:25:38

Well done Sarahmob, a brilliant achievement. ?.
I have stayed the same. After the loss last week I'm not disappointed. I am in some ways surprised though. On Tuesday I ended up on antibiotics. They are quite specific in that have to take 4 a day and have to be one hour before or two hours after food. It does take a little bit of planning and cuts out potential for an impromptu snack! Maybe I will see the benefit next week!
I must admit I am very much enjoying American festive cookery shows at the moment. Maybe I am somehow absorbing the calories ?.
Good luck everyone!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion