Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a Pear ? the sequel part 2 !

(1001 Posts)
NanKate Sun 01-Nov-20 20:35:42

On 08 May 2018 I started this thread for those who wanted to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle. Many people have joined up and many pounds lost and a few gained.

However the 2 Gransnetters who have stayed the course from the beginning are Fourormore and Shirleyw who have helped to keep me on the straight and narrow, most of the time ?, and kept up our spirits.

We now have some other excellent new regulars who have joined our ranks and they have brought new ideas and support. Many thanks girls what would I do without you all.

Do join us the rules are simple.

Choose your own style of diet plan.
Check in regularly with a report of the highs and lows of the diet.

Have an occasional binge but get back on the wagon ASAP.
Pass on any useful diet tips.

So for example I started calorie counting with the NHS Diet Plan. I now eat what I like but make portion control my mantra.

You have nothing to lose, other than weight, on this thread.

Please join us at this difficult time in all our lives with the Pandemic.

So Onward and Downward girls ??

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 03-Dec-21 07:07:16

Good morning fellow pears, dancing pears-I love that!
Well done Shirley W. It may be the 4lb lost that you put on,but I think that shows even greater determination and that you are back on track!
Well done on the exercise class Whiff,its sounds lovely and so positive. I'm sure your gifts were so appreciated.
I am making sugar scrub and little cherry chocolates for close friends this year. I have never made sugar scrub before but it looks easy enough-that said i havent got the sugar yet. The cherries are a recipe i last made in the 90s. They are very simple,you take a morello cocktail cherry ( one of those in jars), wrap in a thin layer of marzipan and dip in dark chocolate. They really are incredibly yummy. They also have the advantage of being easy to store! The year before last i made popcorn seasoning!
I must admit i find myself at the beginning of December and at the usual stage of ? as the weeks will fly by!
My daughter and family loved their advent box. For once I was ahead as it contained knitted items I made last year-normally this year I'm frantically knitting something ?.
Eldest grandson 5 loved the santa hat which had a white tinsel wool trim and pompom and wore it to school! Youngest one who's nearly 3 loved his elf hat which had a bell on so made lots of noise?.
I also sent them separately a thank you card for my birthday gifts. As soon as they saw the letter my grandsons knew it was from me. It's a sign of the times that mine is the only post they get. I often send little post cards or letters as they

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 03-Dec-21 07:35:39

Oops pressed post-it least I didnt lose post!
Yes I send mail as they live in Surrey and so dont see them as often in person!
I hope you have a lovely day with your grandsons Whiff,it sounds magical♥️.
I personally had a slight shock yesterday. I was in the office and at about 9.30 we were told we were closing due to Coronavirus.
I went home and did a LF test which was positive?. Sooo I'm working from home until results of PCR test.
A year ago I probably would have collapsed with fear. A year on I'm calmer. I've had both jabs and booster over 2 weeks ago. For over a year I've taken supplements such as vitamin D and actimel to boost my immune system. Covid is bad news for diabetics but my blood sugars are okay and I'm following a very healthy diet currently.
I actually feel fine at the moment so fingers crossed. I did wonder if the LF could be wrong but my daughter who has done them to many times to count has found them reliable!
I'm curious but not blaming of where I could of picked it up-one can never be sure. I had contact with 2 people at work who went home but one was outside and the other with masks on. Two friends came to dinner on Saturday. On Tuesday we were given a lift to a funeral. We wore masks in the car and during the funeral but none for the 2 hours we were at the wake!
Covid is crafty,we weat masks when we move around the office and touch point areas are cleaned. We have a perspex screen between us and the customers.
That said we dont wear masks when sat at our desks. I'm sure covid isnt just going to avoid that space!
I never stopped wearing a mask in shops or in public transport!
So yes,I will admit it feels rather surreal but I am feeling quite calm albeit cautious!
I will be WFH as long as i feel well enough or if get a negative PCR test.
There are a few things next week,my teams xmas dinner and a meeting with four friends tomorrow. Tomorrow is obviously cancelled. I dont know if i will be back for the dinner on Tuesday. A large part of me wondered how advisable it was anyway,and in light of recent events I wonder if it will be cancelled.
I do have the dentist on Wednesday and hairdressers next Saturday but rebookable!
I find working in the office better but there is a part of me that relishes not having to rush in the mornings etc!
On the positive side,pardon the pun- I have lost 1 and a quarter pounds this week! I weighed in a day early but thought i would grab a good result whilst there?.
Stay safe fellow pears!?

Whiff Fri 03-Dec-21 09:05:11

Dorset people forget Covid is air born. I know it lands on surfaces. But wearing masks and jabs are best line of defence and of course hand washing.

I have been doing Lateral flow test every Saturday since the government said about testing. I have found the reliable . But of course the PCR test will pick up the smallest amount of Covid.

Well done with the weight loss. At least you can work from home. Hopefully you will be negative and can go to your planned events.

Those cherries sound delicious. But no idea what sugar scrub is?.

You have changed a lot since you first posted. Your confidence has grown and you are a strong woman. I well remember how you didn't want to go out and your battle with your old employers. You should be very proud of yourself.

Sarahmob Fri 03-Dec-21 17:18:23

Wow brilliant loss Shirley, well done. You sound like you’ve had a good week Whiff, - I’m like you, I love to give things that haven’t cost much but time. I make some of my friends a Christmas pudding and jars of homemade cranberry sauce every Christmas. They’re always so appreciative. Will be doing some sweet treats this year for my mum and dad too as mum has given up in the kitchen and reminds me frequently that my dad likes a bit of homemade cake with his tea ?. Yet another meal out this evening with a group of friends - think I’ll be squinting at the scales this weekend. Although I surprised myself at the Italian last week I enjoyed what I had as my main course, but passed on the pudding as I just didn’t fancy what was on offer, so the result wasn’t too bad after all. Will weigh in as usual on Sunday ?

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 04-Dec-21 09:30:02

Hi there. Thank you for your kind words Whiff. Also a timely reminder of however difficult times may seem things eventually improve! Often it is all too easy to be pessimistic about future events,in reality it hardly ever is as bad as imagined and if it is we somehow get through it!
Sugar scrub is basically a skin exfoiliant. You can buy some very fancy ones,personally I'm never keen on faffing about in the shower?.
Years ago I used to mix a little salt with olive oil and massage into hands. You then wash it off and it did leave hands super soft.
Sugar scrub is the same principle. Basically just mix brown sugar,oil,and essential oil etc and put in a pretty jar. The oil and scent depends on what you prefer/ use it for. I'm making a gingerbread one and going to say it's a hand scrub. The recipients are keen gardeners and artists so will come in handy. I dont fancy doing body one in case anyone slips in the shower! To my sugar and all I'm adding ground allspice and ginger. I've never actually made it before so fingers crossed!
Sarahmob you post made me quite hungry. My Christmas cake is a last minute recipe-thank goodness?. I might treat myself and make a few chocolate cherries for us!
I think one of the most satisfying moments on our journey is when you realise you are starting to break old habits and eating sensibly including treats but steering away from the "because its there" scenario. It can be a long process but so cheering when realise tastes and unhealthy habits changing.
Have a lovely Saturday one and allxxx

Sarahmob Sun 05-Dec-21 08:41:56

Good morning Pears, it’s really cold and windy here today - I’ve been watching the last few leaves determinedly clinging to the magnolia in our garden but think they’ll all be gone soon. I love watching that tree tell me the seasons, it’ll soon be spring and I’ll be looking at the beautiful purple flowers again!
I had a lovely time on Friday evening and must have made some good choices because the scales this morning record a half pound loss, so I’ll take that. Busy week ahead for me, we’re venturing to the cinema this evening to see the screening of ‘Anything Goes’ - there were only 2 seats already booked yesterday when I booked ours, so I’m hoping that it really won’t be too busy. Then meeting DD and the grand babies tomorrow to go and see Father Christmas, our 4 year old is so excited! He’s loving the build up for Christmas this year. Then it’ll be swinging into Christmas relief parcels at church, I’ve ordered food for 175 families and 50 single people, there will also be toys that have been donated to wrap for each child, so a busy couple of weeks ahead. That’s when my Christmas really starts and I always think of them on Christmas morning opening the gifts we’ve selected and hope that they are thrilled with them.

Have a good week everyone ?

fourormore Sun 05-Dec-21 10:24:34

Morning everyone, it's been lovely reading about all the successes and lovely times we are managing to have during these very unsettling times.
Sadly Covid, work and family issues do get to us at times but we never fail to come through with the love and support of all our fellow pears!
Once again I have stayed the same weight-wise but that's the problem when we plateau isn't it. I am hoping that If I stay at this level Christmas won't do too much damage! To be honest, we all expect a little weight gain and we deserve some treats and to spoil ourselves!
Keep up the good work everyone and especially, we will keep up the encouragement and support we all receive from this lovely thread! Thanks NanKateas always for starting it !!!!

Whiff Sun 05-Dec-21 10:57:37

Morning fellow pears. Sitting in my kitchen watching my lemon and orange marmalade cooking. Everywhere smells very Christmasey.

Weight stayed the same but after last week's loss didn't expect to lose.

It was our last exercise class of the year on Wednesday. Did the whole class without using my stick . Emily made an obstacle course. And for part of it we had to use an egg and spoon. Both plastic but if you dropped the egg it broke open and a plastic egg fell out. Pleased to say I was the only one who didn't drop it . Which is amazing as both hands tremor.

Just realised may have already said this but can't go back a page as I will lose this. Anyway will continue. Our instructors opened my little gift . It was just a scented candle and some handmade soap from Esty. They will give the other instructor hers . There are always 2 instructors .

My fellow exercise buddies I gave a jar of my marmalade. Everyone was surprised and delighted to have it. I love giving gifts but must admit I worry about people giving me one. Especially family and friends as I worry about how much they spend. My husband loved buying me things for birthday and Christmas and because I would never say what I would like. Dragged the children round getting them to help him choose. He was easy to buy for as he would never by himself clothes. And I brought him Ian Rank

Whiff Sun 05-Dec-21 11:10:57

Hand tremor struck again.

Ian Rankin books which he loved.

I must seem an idiot not realising sugar scrub was a beauty item. But I don't wear makeup or even perfume. Simple fact I always look like a clown when I put make up on. And all my perfumes lost there scent due to age never bothered to replace them.

Sarah well done with the loss. Especially after eating some goodies. Hope the film is good and not to many people there.

Four staying the same is an achievement. Especially will all the Christmas food in the shops. Why is it the shops always smell so inviting at Christmas do they have special air fresheners?

Busy week again. Expecting a present for my grandson from his parents to be delivered here tomorrow. Talking to an old friend. Tuesday Covid booster. Wednesday probably recovering from jab. Thursday exercise class Christmas party all groups getting together . Been promised food hot ,drinks, fun,games and a quiz. My daughter is dropping me off. Friday going with my daughter and grandson's to see father Christmas lunch out and babysitting. Sunday at AF clinic and Monday U3A meeting. Phew.

Got to go marmalade ready.

Whiff Sun 05-Dec-21 12:38:08

That's 11lbs of lemon and orange marmalade made. It's in the hands of the setting god's now.

Been making jams, marmalade and chutney for decades. But until they are cold you never know if they will set.

Also I don't like jam or marmalade to sweet so don't put in as much sugar and just boil it longer to set. Only use fruit , lemon juice and sugar in my jams . And I cook the fruit for my marmalade the day before . Gave up shredding peel years ago took me hours. So I take out pips and using my hand blender blitz the whole fruit. And use cooking water and sugar.

But it always tastes good. I give most of it away to friends and family .

Have a good day everyone. Getting close to 1,000 posts again.

mollyanne Sun 05-Dec-21 16:15:02

Hi I will engage with this discussion and contribute later . thanks

CocoPops Mon 06-Dec-21 03:49:36

Hi Dancing Pears and congratulations to losers,
Whiff Thanks for your advice about white cats and sunburn.
I told my son about it.
Sarah You are doing brilliant work with relief food parcels.
Dorset You have inspired me to make some sugar scrub with GC. Thanks. I hope you are feeling alright?
I was away on Gabriola Island last weekend with DD,SIL and family. It was so good to have a change of scenery, fresh air and enjoy the wildlife. No bears on Gabriola! Lots of deer, turkey vultures, sea lions, seals. bald eagles and more. Kiddies and dogs were very happy. Family going over again for 2 weeks at Christmas and I will go over for a few days.
Well, I finally shifted the stubborn pounds and reached my target of 130 lbs.(BMI=21) for the second time so I hope I can maintain the loss this time.
Have a good week Pears x

Whiff Mon 06-Dec-21 06:45:13

mollyanne looking forward to reading your posts. Pears are a great bunch and this is a lovely thread no nasty posters here.

Cocopops well done reaching your target. Your holiday sounds lovely. What a lot of wild life. When you said no bears made me chuckle. We don't get any dangerous wild animals over here. There are wild cats in Scotland but they not a danger to people. Beavers have been reintroduced to a few areas. But we don't have bears or wolves .
But you do have some lovely wildlife and birds.

Have a good week everyone

NanKate Tue 07-Dec-21 08:18:31

Morning Pears.

Thanks for your comment Four.

Welcome MollyAnne you will find our group small, friendly but very supportive.

I see we are on the brink of another new thread, who would have thought it.

Onward and downward you lovely lot. ??

JoMarch1962 Tue 07-Dec-21 20:33:37

Hello all Pears, dancing and otherwise
Must admit to loving the idea of dancing Pears. Does anyone else remember the “Roly-Polies” from the ‘70’s that used to be on Les Dawson and similar shows? Fairly sure we could give them a run for their money! In fact between Oct 2018 - Dec 2019 I was a Belly Dancing Pear ( ambition ticked off list) but sadly, I was rubbish, not because my hips wouldn’t lie ( thank you, Shakira), but mainly because I couldn’t remember any sequence of steps longer than about 4 different movements. Then COVID struck… and ( to my family’s great relief) granny hung up her jingle jangly hip scarf. Oh well. It was seriously good for the core though, girls. Leslie Sansone is my guru now, but she doesn’t quite make me feel like I’m releasing my inner Bedouin goddess!
As ever, I’m finding December a difficult month to “ make good choices” in. DS’s birthday ( he of the split up- now angry rather than sad as it transpires ex played loose with his affections), MIL’s birthday ( 91, v impressive, pub lunch at the v least ) DD and SIL’s 2nd anniversary’s- (gosh, sooo lucky to get that and circumnavigating once in a lifetime honeymoon in under the radar before lockdown 1,-lockdown 2 being responsible for advent of Darling GS -) all occurring. And of course CHRISTMAS, and all attendant feasting. So busy, greedy month. Heigh ho. May just have to take it on chin ( or hips) and come back in January for a spot of mea culpa and remorse ( not going to go as far as self hatred, that really doesn’t help, been there, bought the T-shirt etc etc) Also would like to add ( may have said exactly same thing last year- apologies for being predictable!) but Christmas does NOT end until the 6th of Jan - 12th Night. Baby Jesus needs his pressies! Do not leave the Magi out in the cold! Epiphany comes with cake and festivities all over Europe, and I will not be taking down the tree ( which isn’t up yet!) or starting on any remedial eating plans til then.
A very merry, loving and happy season to you all. Xx

Shirleyw Wed 08-Dec-21 01:52:12

Good morning….damp and cold in Bedfordshire…..put on a lb, was away a few days supporting a group to Thursford, full English and all that ?…….they call it a spectacular show and spectacular it was too, fabulous. Came back with a cold though, cough is a pain at night but hey ho…..(did a test came back negative) ….just the run of the mill cold…..
Well done reaching target cocoa….
sarahmob half a lb is good.
Yes jomarch, December is a tricky month to keep control of eating.,what with meals out etc and the food about. Some lovely grub in M&S as per……
soon there will be open boxes of chocolates and biscuits at work, that’s going to be difficult to not pick at.
Keep going pears…..

Sarahmob Sat 11-Dec-21 06:55:43

Good morning pears, it’s good to read and catch up on all of your news. I’ve had a tricky week this week, I seem to have picked up a viral infection (according to the surgery nurse who hasn’t seen me as is usual these days) which has given me vertigo. So bouts of dizziness accompanied with a perpetual feeling of nausea have meant lots of time lying on the sofa. On the plus side, I’m now 1/2 pound away from my target weight and if I could stand up without feeling like I’d fall over I’d dance a jig. I wanted to achieve it by Christmas and it looks like I’ll manage it now. Of course I’ll be sticking with you all even after target as maintaining will then become the goal, and of course I’m expecting to see a gain over the festive period.

I do hope that today finds all of you in good health and mood - I’m just hoping that this virus soon goes away so I can get back to normal! (Whatever that might be). Have a good week everybody.

NanKate Sat 11-Dec-21 19:41:40

Sorry to hear you are not well Sarahmob feeling dizzy is awful. If you are feeling sick too ginger in any form, especially ginger beer, usually settles me.

Only half a pound off your target weight, excellent. I’m about 8lbs from mine and if course with Xmas around the corner it could be more. ?

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 12-Dec-21 08:04:06

Good morning lovely pears?. I do hope you are feeling better soon Sarahmob, sounds horrible . Well done on getting close to your target though. Indeed well done all of you,very inspirational. It's so lovely to hear from all parts of the UK and indeed the world?.
Eek less than 2 weeks to go until the big the day and as usual I'm playing catch up. I have all my presents but not wrapped. I think the local delivery drivers are exhausted. I noticed Amazon have reintroduced their knock and leave policy due to covid. My driver last night was so quick he was like Usain Bolt!
Today I'm finishing writing cards . Did the letters that go with some of them yesterday. I will also make the sugar scrub . Never done before so let's hope it's as super simple as looks!
I do like to complicate things by doing hand made cards for close friends- be doing that today as well?. At least I have a good excuse in that I work FT . I will confess I was always the same when worked part time?. I dont know about anyone else but I find that time between Halloween and mid December is gone in a blink.
I was bought sharply into reality when checking the desk plan at work. I coudnt understand for a few moments why I didnt have a a desk in 2 weeks time. Then had a sharp reality check-its Christmas eve and I'm on leave!?.
My PCR test,and my daughters came back negative.Of course it was a relief but I must admit I was surprised. My daughter had a lot of Covid symptoms. I just felt a bit unwell. Of course psychology can play a big part or indeed a different virus. My daughter definitely had a temperature. I know at the end of October there was a bit of a scandal when test results from my area were wrong and thousands of people wrongly told negative when positive! Both of us have done LF which negative and I WFH just in case.
I was quite expecting to be WFH next week but apparently not! We are an essential service even though the job was done from home last week!
Finally I lost one and a quarter pounds this week. I was pleased as WFH means less walking! So that's half a stone since October-with a blip for my birthday! It does make me cautious about Christmas, I really dont want to put it back on!
Have a wonderful week everyone. Stay safe?.
Ps Whiff your marmalade sounds awesome!

Whiff Sun 12-Dec-21 09:12:05

JoMarch I loved the Les Dawson shows. The Roly polys could really dance. Little Mo on her points amazing. Enjoy all your do's.

Sarah sorry you are ill. That vertigo feeling is awful. Viral infections can knock you for six. Hope you feel better soon. And don't have any lasting effects from it. 4 years ago I had jaundice left me hearing my heart beat in my left ear. Very annoying especially when I heart my missing heart beats. Half a pound from your target brilliant.

NanKate 8lbs from your target as well . Well done.

Dorset glad you and your daughter haven't got Covid. Hopefully people will be more careful especially with this new variant. Brilliant weight loss.
Had all my presents wrapped since beginning of last month and wrote all my cards 2 weeks ago. Just need to get the stamps to post them.

Put on .75 lb this week but knew I would. Tuesday had Covid booster it made me very tired kept falling asleep . Went to bed at 6.30. Had a very sore arm until yesterday.

Thursday it was exercise class Christmas party. My class and 2 others. Plenty of lovely food and hot drinks. So had what I wanted. We played skittles,egg and spoon obstacle course and a quiz we came third everytime but didn't care we had a lovely time. It was nice meeting
the other classes and instructors. My daughter took me and a exercise buddy took me home. Our classes start again 12th January and I move into the maintenance class on 19th same instructors just a different time.

Friday went to a lovely garden centre to see Father Christmas with my daughter and grandson's. The older one chatted with Father Christmas but his brother didn't like him. So no picture of them with him. The grotto was lovely. They had really good presents. When my daughter takes me out she won't have any petrol money so I pay for lunch. Had a lovely toasted sandwich ,chips and coleslaw followed by caramel chocolate brownie and 2 hot chocolates.

With what I ate on Thursday think I got off lightly only putting on .75 lb.

Going to AF clinic this afternoon. Hopefully they will be pleased with me on this new heart tablet and discharge me into my GPs care .

Shopping in the morning and U3A meeting. Group will be singing. Mince pie and tea afterwards.

Have a good week pears ?

fourormore Sun 12-Dec-21 11:36:40

At last I have dropped below the 172lb mark - only by 0.8lb but it's the lowest I've been for a long time so I'll take it!!!

After so many weeks of staying the same it is a lovely feeling but all I have to do is keep it off this week. Plateaus are horrible and so frustrating aren't they.

I still have over a stone to go but it is a marathon not a sprint and with Christmas fast approaching I know I will put on a bit but that's life - if I can lose another pound or so 'pre-C' I'm ok about it.

Another positive is that I discovered during my initial 'looking out of clothes' to take away over Christmas (Covid and Boris permitting!) I am actually able to fit into a couple of dresses than have been too small for ages. That's a psychological boost!

Lovely to hear all your news. Get well soon all of you with a few problems at the moment - and please stay safe and as healthy as possible fellow pears. 2022 must bring happier times surely but whatever happens we will all stick together and we will succeed!

Whiff Sun 12-Dec-21 16:45:51

Four well done with the weight loss and even better getting into those dresses. I hope you can go away you and Mr F need some quality time together in a different setting. Romantic getaway. ?.

Got discharged from AF clinic today. But if I have any problems they will see me anytime. Will see the cardiologist is about 4 weeks with the results of my heart MRI. So been a good day.

Shirleyw Mon 13-Dec-21 02:38:32

Morning all….better be honest, have not got on scales today , Made mince pies yesterday, with a lovely orange shortcrust and homemade mincemeat (Delias). I had 4…yes 4 ? I didn’t go silly after that though lol……

Hope your feeling better sarahmob not a nice feeling dizziness.
Good your discharged from AF whif
Well done fourormore especially for this time of year as well.

Off to highclere castle today for afternoon tea and tour so I’m sure a lb or 2 will go on . Also family down Friday and we are all going out for a Christmas meal so I can’t see me standing on scales next week either ?.

Have a good week girls….and no going to any wild parties ?

NanKate Mon 13-Dec-21 07:34:03

Hello Pears.

You are human Shirley. I know you will get back on track so nothing to worry about.

Unbelievably I see we have reached 1,000 again. Great going all of you.

Will start another continuing thread later today as I am off to visit my friend with dementia and need to get moving.

See you later ?

Sarahmob Mon 13-Dec-21 19:00:57

Good evening Pears,
Thank you all for your good wishes, I’m pleased to report that I’m feeling much better - the dizziness is occasional and the nausea has gone completely.
I’m so envious of your visit to Highclere Shirley, I hope you had a lovely time, it’s on my to-do list.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion