Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

WHY CAN'T I LOSE WEIGHT?

(49 Posts)
Madmeg Wed 29-Dec-21 01:00:51

I grew up skinny. I was 7st 4lb when I married. I am now twice that. My first pregnancy left me 2 stones heavier that never went, and my second added another stone. That was despite no "eating for two" and attending exercise classes for 4 years afterwards. I've never had a big appetite - people remark on it - and eat lots of fruit and veg and few cakes or biscuits. We never have either a starter or a dessert for our meals. We do have a supermarket take-away once a week, but hardly ever eat out.

I am now trying to diet again. I did this 6 years ago and despite a calorie intake of no more that 1500 a day and walking 5 miles a day it took me 3 years to lose 35 lbs. 1lb a month. No alcohol, no sweet stuff, no fried food, no potatoes or rice or pasta. A steak once a week but otherwise fish or veg meals. Why so slow when all the advertised diet advice says 2lbs a week - why did I manage only 1 lb a month?

How on earth am I going to handle losing 3 stones to get into a size 14 or probably a 16? I am currently a size 20-22. It is soul-destroying.

Some of you might mention thyroid problems. Well I have no thyroid gland - it was removed 35 years ago and I take the hormone tablet daily.

Hope someone can help.

Meg

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 29-Dec-21 01:09:32

I’m dieting at the moment and my Calorie intake is between 900/1000 calories a day.
My normal Calorie intake is around 1500 and I can’t lose weight on that.

Pepper59 Wed 29-Dec-21 01:53:35

It's very difficult. I have thyroid issues and it makes it so much harder to lose weight. I try to stick to three meals a day and no snacking.

tanith Wed 29-Dec-21 07:22:39

I realise it sounds too simple but the best way I managed to lose almost 2 stone was smaller plates and portions, no desserts or snacks or bread. Plenty of water it worked for me. I know it’s not easy but you can do it.

BigBertha1 Wed 29-Dec-21 07:27:38

I sympathise Madmeg I need to lose weight and have trying for over a year but decided I need support and a fresh approach so I joined Slimming World. Might a fresh approach work for you?

CafeAuLait Wed 29-Dec-21 07:30:01

Maybe insulin resistance?

I couldn't lose weight. I switched to a Mediterranean diet. It's now falling off.

BlueBelle Wed 29-Dec-21 07:44:39

I m not overweight but at the top end for my height and feel sluggish so need and want to lose weight at least half a stone but when you live alone it’s very easy to use food as a companion and I know I do
So you have all my empathy and hopefully we ll all get there

Sarahmob Wed 29-Dec-21 07:51:56

If you want some support in your ongoing efforts to lose weight, I recommend the ‘I’m a pear’ thread. Great bunch of losers who are really friendly and encouraging ?

TillyTrotter Wed 29-Dec-21 08:03:08

That’s a great idea Sarahmob. I’ve always found that losing weight within a supportive group (or thread) is a really good way to get started.
I am still working on getting rid of that “lockdown stone”.
Good Luck to us all.

Riverwalk Wed 29-Dec-21 09:03:57

With Christmas over it's a good time to start a new health and fitness regime. My thoughts

Walking is good for general health and helps to clear your head, keep fit, good for the bones, etc., but alas it does very little to reduce weight - takes about an hour to walk off two pieces of toast! I walk every day for at least an hour and find it helps me psychologically to keep on the straight and narrow, diet wise.

As has been mentioned there are various clubs, diets, just try to choose one that suits your tastes. I do a combination of low-carb and calorie count, all logged on MyFitnessPal.

1,500 is quite high - it's amazing and sad(!) at how little we actually need to function well. I'm a believer in getting a good result quickly to get off to a positive start, so drastically reduce my intake, this gives impetus and encouragement. As you found out. plodding along on one pound loss a month is soul-destroying and hard to maintain.

Stock up with the relevant foods and don't buy what you know are your weakness.

Dieting takes effort and discipline - not easy I know! But worth it.

hulahoop Wed 29-Dec-21 09:17:00

I have recently lost a stone on 16/8 regime .

JillyJosie2 Wed 29-Dec-21 09:18:35

It might be worth looking at some of the Michael Mosley books or videos. I agree that 1500 calories is potentially quite high, as we get older our metabolism slows and we need less. I probably live on 1200 calories a day and I eat quite a restricted diet and need to watch it or weight creeps on.

I also don't mean to sound discouraging but walking may not be enough exercise to lose much weight. You really need cardiovascular exercise to a significant rate to raise your metabolic levels. Again, Michael Mosley is good on this. You probably hate the thought but a couple of gym sessions a week, with a trainer if you can afford it, will help. I was once 2 stones over weight and it took a very determined effort to lose it and keep it off. Good luck.

V3ra Wed 29-Dec-21 09:33:29

My husband's GP prescribed him a free 12 week course at Slimming World. He's lost 3 1/2 stone so far and has finally understood what he can eat and what he should avoid. He seems to enjoy the cameraderie of the weekly meetings.

I personally find it easier to use the 16:8 method of eating.

Something will click in your mind, but an eating plan where you feel deprived will only leave you feeling resentful and won't be sustainable.

Good luck ?

Peasblossom Wed 29-Dec-21 09:42:43

I wanted to size 14 for my sons wedding four years ago.

I followed JoeWicks “Lean in 15” and it really did work. I was never hungry.

Basically it’s cutting the carbs and weights for toning.

Kim19 Wed 29-Dec-21 09:43:23

I too found the 16/8 worked beautifully for me. The other help was that I didn't aim too high. 1lb a week for a year and I was sorted. Bonus is I didn't put any of it back on and I think that was because I grew into much healthier eating habits gradually and they became my norm. I ate less of everything but excluded nothing. This was nine years ago and I bless the day someone on here mentioned the 16/8. Happily it fitted perfectly with my lifestyle. The other bonus I had was that, with the gradual loss, nobody noticed and it didn't become the topic of conversation. Wonderful. Fact is, had anyone suggested that I would be eating the things I do now (and loving them) I would have laughed them out of court. Weight loss has been life changing for me. I thought I was fit(ish) and healthy(ish). Not so. The improvement has be dramatic. All inspired and motivated when I was told I was going to be a GP for the first time all those years ago.

Shropshirelass Wed 29-Dec-21 09:50:56

I follow the Ketogenic/Low carb way of eating and it really suits me. I have zero sugar, no bread, potatoes, rice or pasta, but eat butter, cheese, cream, fatty meats and leafy greens. I am never hungry and don’t crave sweet foods. I too had my thyroid removed some years ago. Although fruit is said to be healthy, it contains huge amounts of sugar, I used to eat a lot of fruit, now just have a few berries occasionally. My friend is a nurse and she struggles to convince some of her diabetic patients to cut down on the amount of fruit that are eating. It might be worth looking at this as carbohydrates and sugar are the main cause of weight gain. Good luck.

GrannySomerset Wed 29-Dec-21 10:01:16

I think this thread is especially for me. During the past eighteen months while being sole carer for increasingly ill DH I have comfort eaten for England and need to shed several stones as I pick up some sort of normal life now that DH is in a nursing home. Slimming World has worked for me in the past but think that 16/8 would suit me, especially as at the moment I have no interest in food and wouldn’t cheat. So thank you all for the nudge I need!

HowVeryDareYou Wed 29-Dec-21 10:06:06

1,500 calories a day is quite a lot. How active are you every day?

I need to lose a lot of weight, but am recovering from a stroke (July) so although I can walk, I can't walk miles nor walk fast. I can't do the exercise classes I used to enjoy. I'd trying to limit my calories to 900 a day before Christmas, and will get back on the diet again by this weekend

Urmstongran Wed 29-Dec-21 10:12:17

I’ve got 2st to lose ? and a diabetes prevention course starting at the end of January.

I remember years ago a nurse saying “you don’t just wake up fat on morning. It comes on gradually with bad eating habit so make sensible changes to your diet and watch the pounds come off gradually. It’s not a “diet” it’s a reset”.

LadyGracie Wed 29-Dec-21 10:17:17

DH and I started the Fast 800 diet last February by July I'd lost 19lbs and DH 21 lbs, we didn't join the 'club'. I bought 2 recipe books and we followed these, the recipes are varied and very tasty. Along with walking it's been an easy way to lose weight for us. We have both put on a couple of pounds over Christmas but will soon get that off. If it ever stops raining.

MerylStreep Wed 29-Dec-21 10:22:03

MadMeg
I’m ok with my weight but I’ve watched my OH struggle for years. He’s extremely active, doesn’t have a sweet tooth, has a drink now and again has the same size meals as me, I’m 8st.
Yet he could literally make weight eating an apple ?
He was diagnosed with type2 and realised that although he loathed the thought of going to the gym he had to do it.
It was hard, not physically as he’s still a very strong man but mentally.
It worked ? He goes everyday for an hour and actually enjoys it, not something I ever thought I’d see.

Kali2 Wed 29-Dec-21 10:24:35

Is he on insulin MerylS? Insulin makes it very difficult to lose weight.

Blossoming Wed 29-Dec-21 10:24:58

I’ve started the diabetes prevention course that Urms has mentioned and have lost a few pounds by reducing carbs and increasing veg. We have had a Christmas break and I have eaten norty snacks, so have probably put some of those pounds back on! Our next meeting is on 10th January, so after New Year I will get back on track.

HowVeryDareYou like you, I can’t walk very well, due to a brain injury. Check out the Different Strokes Online Pilates Class on YouTube. It’s designed by stroke survivors and you should find something you can manage. Losing weight will help your mobility so it’s worth sticking with it. Wishing you all the best with your recovery.

Madmeg Wed 29-Dec-21 11:01:20

Hi everyone. Thanks for all those useful comments and advice. I made a mistake with the 1500 calories - that's what I tried to stick to before I started the serious dieting, but aimed below 1000 for the three years of dieting. It was relatively painless cos hubby joined me but he hasn't put much on since.

The internet doesn't help in that it tells me I need 1,400 cals a day to survive in a warm bed, and the NHS site suggests an intake of around this in order to lose around 2lbs a week so maybe I've just not been strict enough.

Yes, it is a marathon. I'll check out all your suggestions.

Meg

Smileless2012 Wed 29-Dec-21 11:03:31

What is the 16/8 regime hulahoop?