Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Old age spread? Any solutions.

(40 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Sun 20-Aug-23 11:37:04

Since I turned 70 last year, I have noticed that my middle area has expanded. I'm not overweight, have a healthy BMI (recent health check), eat healthily and exercise regularly - including weight and pilates classes. But, although my weight hasn't changed, clothes that used to fit me are now tight round the waist, and I find that I have to wear looser fitting clothes. Is this just something that I have to learn to live with (a bit frustrating as it will mean getting rid of some much loved dresses) and be thankful that I'm fit and healthy, or has anyone found a manageable solution that works?

LJP1 Mon 21-Aug-23 20:06:28

Try substituting fruit, vegetables, nuts & whole grains (widest possible varieties) for bread, pastry. cakes & sweets and taking a bit more exercise. You will feel fuller and after a few weeks will be fitter.

I'm afraid the rest is just ageing. Good luck shamrock

Shizam Mon 21-Aug-23 21:49:02

Have the same problem. Bit younger than you.
I still weigh the same, but everything has shifted into middle area. If I could rearrange it, I would!

lizzypopbottle Mon 21-Aug-23 23:05:20

I can't believe it's just ageing. That excuse makes it easy to just give in and give up. I'm 71 but I'm not giving in. Don't give in folks!

M0nica Tue 22-Aug-23 07:27:43

give in and give up what LPB?

The fact that my shape has changed, and in my case, increased by osteoporosis, doesn;t mean I have given up on anything. I stillkeep my weight within recommended bounds, put as much thought into how I dress and present myself as ever and keep fit. I never had much of a waist anyway, it is my build.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Aug-23 07:41:37

Up to the menopause I was the same weight all my adult life - since the menopause my weight has increased but once again I have remained the same weight for the past 25 years - I am now classed as overweight - I have attempted dieting - but every time my body returns to exactly the same weight to the lb. Even say over Christmas when I put on a few lbs. It just settles back to my usual weight after a couple of weeks. I have clothes 25 years old and all wearable.

So that’s the weight I am and content with.

lizzypopbottle Tue 22-Aug-23 10:38:14

Give in and give up on life M0nica of course! We can say, "I'm too old for sky diving." That's an excuse. We can say, "I won't go sky diving. It's too dangerous." That's a decision. So many things people say they are too old to do! That's why others are ageist and tell us we are too old.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Aug-23 10:48:45

There are things that I know I can’t attempt because of my age 78. I simply don’t have the strength I had as a 20-30 year old. But I’m content with that fact. Age I find brings other attributes that I did not have when younger.

M0nica Tue 22-Aug-23 10:53:20

I have never been heard to say that I am too old for anything - and I never will, but what that has got to do with my body having gone through the normal aging process that leads to me being shorter than I was and having a smaller waist, I cannot work out.

Oreo Tue 22-Aug-23 11:02:52

Whitewavemark2

There are things that I know I can’t attempt because of my age 78. I simply don’t have the strength I had as a 20-30 year old. But I’m content with that fact. Age I find brings other attributes that I did not have when younger.

I’m much younger than you (Mum is 81) but admire your attitude.Nothing much any of us can do about ageing, best to accept it.Mum has def shrunk a couple of inches and she calls herself an all rounder 😂 but dresses to suit her shape, wears make up going out and has her hair done regularly and always looks great in my view.She’s cheerful and good fun to be with which is always attractive.Fatter older women seem to look younger to me, Mum has a thin friend who looks years older than her real age.A bit haggard if you know what I mean.

JENMA Tue 22-Aug-23 11:20:25

I put on weight during the pandemic and 2 years waiting for a hip op. Some of it on crutches hence no exercises, whereas I usually walk my springer. have just done the human being diet, brilliant lost 2 stone. I feel great, slim, energetic and have also come off my diazepam and dropped my pregabalin, both for depression. I cannot recommend it highly enough. A bit hard but now I enjoy it and the way I feel makes me want to continue as I am so much happier. Take a look. T
he human Being Diet by Petronella Ravenshear. Many people have felt healthier and dropped their medications, even severe ones. Good luck Jenny

oodles Tue 22-Aug-23 12:56:13

Have a check at your docs just to make sure that there is nothing underlying this, there probably isn't, but when my mum started having this happen it was fluid retention, caused by heart failure and went away once she was put on meds. There can be a lot happening inside that we don't know about. A blood test and a chat to the doc is maybe a wise precaution even though it is probably unlikely to be anything out of the ordinary

M0nica Tue 22-Aug-23 13:17:32

I know my shrinkage is partly caused by osteoporosis, otherwise I do not have any medical problems, just natural shrinkage.

lizzypopbottle Tue 22-Aug-23 13:25:40

M0nica

I know my shrinkage is partly caused by osteoporosis, otherwise I do not have any medical problems, just natural shrinkage.

I won't deny I've lost an inch in height, M0nica I think it's partly postural. I keep telling myself to sit and stand straight. I'm doing it now! 😆 But there's no denying my spine has probably compressed a bit. Oh well, it only stops me towering over people of 5'5" and I can still look down on people 5 '4" and under! 😂😂😂

dogsmother Tue 22-Aug-23 13:39:41

Oh Gundy! Unlucky, thought I was bad at 8 (42) .