Gransnet forums

Education

British Humanist Asociation and church schools

(41 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 27-Jan-16 17:26:18

This from their latest newsletter:

"We proved that 'faith' schools across the sector are breaking the law

...and now Government is going to extreme lengths to shut us up

Last year, we published an in-depth, statistically robust report for the Fair Admissions Campaign which showed that the School Admissions Code was being broken in various ways by religiously selective schools in England, including through direct discrimination by race and gender, taking into account things like sexuality, medical history, past behaviour, and parents' marital status, and failing to prioritise children in care and children with special needs.

At the time, church groups rubbished the report with disingenuous press releases, but before long they were pleading to Government to protect them from our fastidious work to expose unlawful discrimination against disadvantaged children.

On Monday, the Government announced it would seek to ban us from raising concerns about 'faith' schools admissions to the proper authorities, claiming that secularists (us) made too many 'vexatious' claims against religious schools – an odd choice of words considering that all our complaints were upheld.

This is nothing less than an assault on democracy and the rule of law, and one which robs families of their best means of securing justice and access to local schools. A consultation has yet to be released, and we are still considering our next steps, including the possibility of legal action.

Latest news
Government moves to ban organisations from exposing law-breaking schools unfairly restricting access to children and parents
The Government has demonstrated it is willing to support 'faith' schools to break the law. This is a complete travesty: signalling that the Government is fully committed to placing the interests of the religious lobby over and above the rights of parents."

I thought that some people might find this interesting in the light of an earlier discussion.

granjura Thu 28-Jan-16 12:08:28

Exactly jingl- which is why it is best if they all go.

Elegran, agreed- But in villages there is usually only one school.

And whatever you do, the better off parents, the more influential, the better educated, etc- will always input into the schools their children attend even more funds, even better facilities, etc, through donations, fundraising, etc.

Where all children go to the local school, the above parents continue to support, donate, fundraise, etc, and not just their own children benefit- but all. ALL- children deserve excellent schools.

But yes, this thread is about the current Government stiffling and preventing information being shared with the population- and THAT is totally wrong, undemocratic and even dangerous.

obieone Thu 28-Jan-16 12:10:46

I dont get your points Elegran.
You are suggesting that faith schools have their funding from LAs descimated?

obieone Thu 28-Jan-16 12:15:20

And is it proved that more funding for sink schools improves their performance educationally?
In which case, all sink schools can get out of being sink schools by mere money.

Luckygirl Thu 28-Jan-16 12:18:54

varian - I am glad that you have grasped the point of the discussion. It is indeed an attack on civil liberties.

Leticia Thu 28-Jan-16 16:06:57

All the talk about faith schools are generally about cities. Most villages have C of E schools and they take everyone in the catchment area . There is no choice, rurally you may only have church schools in a 20 mile radius. In 1870 Education Act Board Schools filled in the gaps where there wasn't already a school.

granjura Thu 28-Jan-16 20:16:38

If you agree that trying to silence the British Humanism Association from exposing the truth- do try and make a donation to the campaign.

All children deserve excellent schools.

granjura Thu 28-Jan-16 20:19:11

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Alea Thu 28-Jan-16 21:15:40

I don't think touting for financial support is appropriate!

granjura Thu 28-Jan-16 21:20:32

Touting?

Why ever not make people aware f the campaign and possibility to donate? I am not even a member of the BHA anyhow- but feel strongly about the Government trying to prevent them from exposing unfair and illegal pratctices- and decided to donate. Some here might feel the same.

granjura Thu 28-Jan-16 21:22:03

Didn't notice that Moderators had deleted the link. Many have given links for donation to charities before I believe. Off to re-read the rules.

granjura Thu 28-Jan-16 21:26:06

Just checked and I am even more puzzled, Did my post include any of the following:

That said, we will remove posts we believe to be obscene, racist, contain personal attacks or break the law once they are brought to our attention.

Really?

Rules do include something about not being allowed to change name, very clearly stated, and yet it happens all the time, again and again. Goose and ganders?

Alea Thu 28-Jan-16 21:28:20

confusedconfused

Ana Thu 28-Jan-16 21:29:10

And you changed your name, granjura - not by accident, as you have claimed in the past. Can't you just accept that your link was considered inappropriate by GNHQ?

granjura Thu 28-Jan-16 21:39:03

granjura- juragran- didn't fool many did it?

As said, checked rules and etiquette- and providing a link to a Charity for fundraising is not included.

If anyone would like to make a donation, I am sure they will find the link to the BHA themselves.

Penstemmon Mon 01-Feb-16 11:27:48

What do people find so worrying about having all schools as community schools, funded equally per pupil, with a weighting maybe for areas of deprivation? If the status of schools was equal then all this faffing and anxiety about where your child goes to school would be reduced.

At the moment there is about a £3k difference in spend per pupil in LA schools depending on the education authority area, this makes a huge difference to staffing, maintenance and resourcing etc. It is not dependent on faith or non-faith!

City schools that benefitted from a huge injection of "city challenge" money now tend to outperform other similar schools that did not receive the funding. Money does make a difference but it is not the only thing.

e.g advertising in the Times Educational Supplement costs about £4k for a small advert. Many small schools do not have this at their disposal but some schools have full page ads!! The ability to recruit the best can cost!