Gransnet forums

Education

Young women's Tatoos

(158 Posts)
jennyvg Wed 22-May-19 16:43:10

Yesterday whilst out shopping I noticed an attractive young woman with heavily tattooed arms, she also had some sort of flower design going up her neck, it crossed my mind that it seemed a shame to in my mind disfigure herself in this way, but her choice nothing to do with me, then I started thinking what is going to happen when these young women become old women like me, skin gone a bit wrinkly and flabby, will they then become depressed and want the tatoos removed? If so is this going to the next great strain on NHS resources? Just a thought what do others Gransnetters think?

nanny2507 Wed 22-May-19 17:09:09

I am 51 and i had my 13th tattoo only a few days ago. i am already wrinkly and flabby and they are just fine grin. i think it depends where you have them too

Littleannie Wed 22-May-19 17:24:55

This reminds me of an article I read by a journalist a few years ago. He was sitting next to a young woman at a bar, who had heavy black Chinese script tattooed over her back. He asked her what it said, and she said "beautiful lady". He didn't have the heart to tell her that he had lived in Hong Kong for some years, and could read it. It actually said "fat cow".

notanan2 Wed 22-May-19 17:32:16

Nope. Plenty of older women have tattoos that don't cause them "depression" hmm
I know a woman who just got a huge tattoo for her 60th. She has older tattoos. You are allowed to have tattoos and wrinkles

& since when is tattoo removal free on the NHS.

Sounds like you are clutching at ways to make your pearl clutching sound like concern

Joyfulnanna Wed 22-May-19 17:35:35

I know someone who had tattoos to cover up her varicose veins on her legs. Whilst it is a trend, I don't think it's particularly attractive on the majority of people, and what's worse is that people have too many.. Its like once they start they don't know when to stop. Interestingly I spoke to a young German couple who told me they thought the British take them to extremes and that its not as fashionable in their country.

fiorentina51 Wed 22-May-19 17:49:54

Just carrying on a long British tradition. The Romans named these islands Pretani or Land of the Painted People.

notanan2 Wed 22-May-19 17:52:39

Tattoos can help with anxiety about body issues. Some women who have has masecyomies get their scar tattooed.

Lots of people use tattoos to make scars positive rather than negative

Beckett Wed 22-May-19 17:53:50

I once asked a friend who had several tattoos whether she thought she would regret it later in life - her reply was to ask why she should regret having a good time and enough money to do what she wanted!

notanan2 Wed 22-May-19 17:55:02

www.breastcancercare.org.uk/about-us/news-personal-stories/eight-inspiring-mastectomy-tattoos

notanan2 Wed 22-May-19 17:56:56

P.s. OP why did you think that your opinions about tattoos warrented a place in "Education".

Who are you looking to educate?.

boheminan Wed 22-May-19 18:16:47

Oh no! Not this again! shock

Many years ago the subject of tattoos came up on GN, and very few women here approved. The few members who were proud to have any body decoration (myself included) were vilified as attention seeking, cheap, tarty body torturers!

How refreshing that times and opinions have changed. A sign of a more tolerant future here? Hopefully hmm

pinkquartz Wed 22-May-19 18:26:57

I have no problem at all seeing other women with tattoos.

It's their body.
When they are old and wrinkly they will have old and wrinkly bodies and the tattoos might look a bit less attractive but most old and wrinkly bodies don't look so good anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I would have one myself but I have poor health and I would almost certainly have a reaction to the dyes. So I don't have one.

Framilode Wed 22-May-19 18:36:25

I just think it is such a shame when young people do it. If you want to do it when you are older, fine. My daughter is a partner in a large City law firm and they won't consider anyone with visible tattoos for a trainee solicitor post. This may be unfair but I'm afraid it's the way it it. These posts are so sought after they can afford to pick and choose. Why rule yourself out by making a decision like that at such an early stage in your life?

Luckygirl Wed 22-May-19 18:37:42

It is a matter of taste - I hate them, and cringe when I see a beautiful young woman disfigured by them. But presumably she does not see them as disfiguring and I would fight for her right to do this if that is what she wants.

I have to say though that when I think about how my taste in clothes and style have changed over the years I would be very reluctant to do anything that could not be changed.

fairisle Wed 22-May-19 18:40:57

I don`t like Tattoos,i haven`t got any. Each to their own!

BBbevan Wed 22-May-19 18:43:10

Waiting in the queue to go for dinner on our cruise, there was and extremely beautiful middle aged lady near us. Lovely hair, superb makeup. And her gold pleated dress just wonderful. She turned around and the dress had a very low back,. Might have looked fantastic but for a large snake tattoo with another in its mouth across her shoulders

quizqueen Wed 22-May-19 18:45:18

It seems, on this site, everyone can have an opinion about how idiotic people are to vote for Brexit, but no one can have an opinion on how unsightly it is to cover yourself in permanent artwork, some more attractive than others.

BlueBelle Wed 22-May-19 18:58:26

I think they were more attractive when less people had them it’s now become too common ( I don’t mean class common I mean overcrowded common) it’s no longer original I don’t have any and don’t really want any I m particularly anti to sleeves and neck tattoos especially on women All my children have one fairly small one each Second oldest grand daughter has a small one on her hip they are ok My daughter in law has one at the bottom of her spine and has hated it ever since she got it
I can live without them Good luck to those that like them

nanny2507 Wed 22-May-19 19:24:09

Framilode how very judgemental. tattoos do not define a person

Chewbacca Wed 22-May-19 19:30:32

My friends son got married recently and his young bride looked absolutely stunning as she walked up the aisle. As she removed her veil, she revealed back, neck, upper arms and chest tattoos and there was an audible gasp from the congregation grin

Personally, I don't like to see young women with tattoos either but I'd fight to defend their right to do as they wish with their bodies. Each to their own and all that.....

Sara65 Wed 22-May-19 20:05:23

I don’t like them at all, but each to his own

MawBroonsback Wed 22-May-19 20:08:02

Is there a reason for this to be under “Education”?
Do you see a correlation?

jennyvg Wed 22-May-19 20:50:08

Notanan2 I hate Pearl's so definitely won't be clutching any, my point was maybe in the future people may try to have them removed on the NHS thus putting more pressure on resources, I have no idea why my comments are under education I certainly wouldn't be trying to educate anyone. Thankyou for pointing out the benefits that some ladies gain by having a tatoo after having a mastectomy I know several ladies who might benefit from knowing this. I do think that you sound a very angry lady my comments were not ment to cause any upset to you or anyone.

jennyvg Wed 22-May-19 20:52:08

MawBroonsback I have no idea why my comments were under education

Day6 Wed 22-May-19 21:06:53

I remember the days when a tattoo was about being an individual and being different from the crowd. Now, when almost every other person seems to be covered in them, it's those without who are the individuals and stand out for not following a trend! smile

I don't like them, I think they are disfiguring, but two of my adult children have them. Like Chewbacca I too believe we should be free to do whatever we want with our bodies but I have yet to see a person whose look is enhanced by tattoos.