Gransnet forums

Education

Young women's Tatoos

(159 Posts)
jennyvg Wed 22-May-19 16:43:10

Yesterday whilst out shopping I noticed an attractive young woman with heavily tattooed arms, she also had some sort of flower design going up her neck, it crossed my mind that it seemed a shame to in my mind disfigure herself in this way, but her choice nothing to do with me, then I started thinking what is going to happen when these young women become old women like me, skin gone a bit wrinkly and flabby, will they then become depressed and want the tatoos removed? If so is this going to the next great strain on NHS resources? Just a thought what do others Gransnetters think?

nanny2507 Wed 22-May-19 21:10:25

in japan there are natural hot springs that you sit in totally naked...however some do not allow you in if you have tattoos as they believe that tattoos are for gang members.

BradfordLass72 Wed 22-May-19 22:45:53

Littleannie That's an old joke - my Dad used to tell it !!

Here in NZ, it is culturally appropriate for people to have tattoos, often full facial 'moko' and I have many friends with this.

Outside cultural mores, if you choose a pattern appropriate to your personality: roses, butterflies etc., I can't see why your thoughts about it would change as you get older.

I can see how having the name of a partner can be a bit tricky but many tattoo artists will try to dissuade clients from this anyway.

Miep1 Thu 23-May-19 08:39:54

I can't stand full facial/all over head tattoos, often animal faces etc. Always makes me think the person doesn't want to work as I would imagine there aren't many firms who would put up with this in a client meeting, for example. But as others say, each to his/her own!

Tweedle24 Thu 23-May-19 09:23:10

Personally I would not have one but, no-one has said it is compulsory to have them so why worry?

henetha Thu 23-May-19 09:23:25

I just think, each to his own. It's harmless. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Gagagra Thu 23-May-19 09:24:58

I have scars on my arms and I would love tattoos to cover them , but having very sensitive skin I think I would have a reaction.

omega1 Thu 23-May-19 09:25:27

I think if someone wants to have a tattoo why not use non permanent ones. The type you can put on to match a dress and remove at night. I don't like them and wouldn't have any as I think they are disfiguring and ugly. Why do young girls spoil their lovely skin by putting ink on it and why do they consider it attractive.

Harris27 Thu 23-May-19 09:25:39

Could if cried the day my youngest son came in with one in his arm his dad loved it and said he would like one much to my distaste, but each to their own I think they look dreadful!! The girls at work have them 50/50 in our classrooms but it's each to their own isn't it?

jaylucy Thu 23-May-19 09:28:13

I personally don't have tattoos - although I would actually like one, my son has 2 - the first he was really worried what I'd say when I saw it - both are in memory of my parents.
I often see young women with a "sleeve" tattoo that covers the arm, or across the chest and like you, I wonder what they will look like when they are older and crinkly!
I just think it is their choice when all is said and done but something that makes me wonder - what happens when they have to have a blood test ? I know the vein is usually found by the nurse or phlebotomist by touch, but would have thought that being able to see it would help!!??

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 23-May-19 09:32:22

It's a matter of personal taste. I don't have any myself and am not keen on them.
One of my friends said to her children when they became teenagers, ""Wear your hair how you like, the clothes, make up and jewellery you like, but don't do anything permanent as fashions change and you may go off them.
I believe that Ferne Cotton has tattoos and says that she regrets everyone of them. OTOH there are worse regrets to have and we must learn to live with our mistakes if we can't change them.

Rowantree Thu 23-May-19 09:33:44

I'm not keen on seeing them but that's my own prejudice and my problem. I do wonder how expensive it is to get them done. Personally I would avoid doing anything invasive to my body which couldn't be reversed if I changed my mind. Sometimes I dye my hair green and plenty of people would cringe at that, but that does fade pretty quickly!
It's a fashion thing, and as ever it's personal choice.

MeolstoLA Thu 23-May-19 09:33:59

I'm tempted to try out "fake" ones eg henna or even the pullon sleeve type just to see the family reaction. I know they'd disagree with each other and would be so funny to hear what they think. I'd probably never be brave enough to actually endure a real one.

Pollyanna2 Thu 23-May-19 09:34:50

Don't think the NHS would necessarily pay for tattoo removal these days would they? Not without an extremely good reason anyway...

Annaram1 Thu 23-May-19 09:35:42

No tats and never will have, and none of my family have any either.

Framilode Thu 23-May-19 09:37:37

Nanny 2507 I was not being judgemental in my post, even though personally I don't like the, I was just saying that, rightly or wrongly, judgements are made.

monkeebeat Thu 23-May-19 09:37:39

Classed as ‘cosmetic’ the NHS only remove tattoos if causing severe psychological distress.

A figure of £330+ spent by NHS since 2010 seen on internet.

I toyed with the idea of tattoo but disliked the permanence of it - fashions and my own perception’s change so too risky, for me.
There are some beautiful tats out there...and also some horrific misspellings, mistakes and poor art. But - personal choice.
We treat people who self inflict other diseases eg smoke/lung cancer, become obese/circulation isdues so why not tattoos?

Framilode Thu 23-May-19 09:37:58

them

Pamster1 Thu 23-May-19 09:40:55

why so critical of others. just be happy in your own skin and leave others to do the same

Laurensnan Thu 23-May-19 09:44:47

Some people have them for a particular reason which is very meaningful. I got my first and only tattoo art the age of 50. Everyone can see it as it's in the to of my wrist. It has my son's name. I see it everyday in front of me and I know that everyone I meet will see it too, even without realising. I lost him to cancer age 26. My tattoo carries him with me in everything I do.

Esspee Thu 23-May-19 09:45:10

My sons have told me that they would never have been able to progress in their careers if they had visible tattoos.
I believe that anyone who makes themselves unemployable through covering themselves in tattoos should be denied unemployment benefits.

inishowen Thu 23-May-19 09:45:12

My late dad had his arms tatooed when he was a young man in the army. There was a mermaid on one arm which I loved. Sadly dad grew to hate his tattoos as he grew to middle age. My son also had a tattoo on his back when he was in Australia aged 20. He too regrets it. He won't take his tee shirt off when we're on holiday. I think a lot of young people will be sorry when the trend for tattoos is over.

Pat1949 Thu 23-May-19 09:46:20

Not keen myself, but I suppose it’s each to their own. They do have removal on the NHS if it’s causing great distress

Deni1963 Thu 23-May-19 09:47:13

I'm 55 with 4 and having a 5th. I always place where wrinkles will be less likely. They tell a story and I love mine.

Teetime Thu 23-May-19 09:56:23

My daughter (the recently widowed one aged 49) already had a couple of hidden tattoos but since her husband died she had a memorial one of a flower on the inside of her wrist and up her arm. This week she had a large black rose on her shoulder she said to cover up another tattoo that she didn't like. Well she is my daughter and I love her but she knows I think these things detract from her looks and limit what she can wear, although she doesn't agree with me about that either. Not for me.

Craftycat Thu 23-May-19 10:00:31

On the train going up to town to see the Van Gogh exhibition at Tate last week we got chatting to a delightful girl with a gorgeous dog. She was very pretty but her whole body- what we could see of it which was quite a hot as it was a hot day- was covered in tatoos. It seemed such a shame that this beautiful girl had defaced her body with so much ink & it must have cost a absolute fortune.
My son got tatoos when he was 16 ( yes I know but he looked older so got away with it). I did not know for a whole year as he kept covered up at home. He regrets it so much now especially as they were football related. He had them covered with a fish design but they still look awful He tells his children all the time never to even think about getting a tatoo.
I'm needle phobic so not a chance I'd ever consider it but I did have my sparse eyebrows micro-planed & they look great.