Gransnet forums

Education

Young women's Tatoos

(159 Posts)
jennyvg Wed 22-May-19 16:43:10

Yesterday whilst out shopping I noticed an attractive young woman with heavily tattooed arms, she also had some sort of flower design going up her neck, it crossed my mind that it seemed a shame to in my mind disfigure herself in this way, but her choice nothing to do with me, then I started thinking what is going to happen when these young women become old women like me, skin gone a bit wrinkly and flabby, will they then become depressed and want the tatoos removed? If so is this going to the next great strain on NHS resources? Just a thought what do others Gransnetters think?

moggie57 Thu 23-May-19 22:52:38

personally i dont like tattoos. but its the persons choice whether they have tattoo's or not.some ladies have tattoo's...because they had/have cancer and have a tattoo on their chest or ever......

Nanny41 Thu 23-May-19 21:52:22

I am not keen on tattoos,I saw a young mother the other day, with her armms completely tattooed she looked as thought she had two black sleeves, she was otherwise wearing a short sleeved T shirt, certainly not attractive in my humble opinion.(I am now ready to be hung)

sluttygran Thu 23-May-19 21:49:52

I dislike tattoos intensely and wouldn’t have them, however, I can’t criticise those who like them, so long as they don’t make me submit to the process.
I do like my pearls, and assert my right to clutch them convulsively whenever I feel like it! wink

Joyfulnanna Thu 23-May-19 21:44:48

I get that it's a personal thing and each to their own. It's so commonplace now but if I'm honest, I'd I see tattoos on a professional person, I am a little surprised. I genuinely think that people have them to enhance their looks but I don't think it does that. Makes me a bit judgmental and can't help that I'm afraid.

nanny2507 Thu 23-May-19 21:24:30

Esspee... as i said before tattoos do not define a person. If employers wont employ people with tattoos then they could be losing a fabulous employee and a wonderful person, why should it be classed as making themselves unemployable.

jennyvg Thu 23-May-19 20:55:33

MawBroonsback When I started this thread I obviously put it under the wrong heading, something you seem to have taken offence at, I can only apologise to you for this I will try to do better in future. I am beginning to wish that I hadn't posted the thread in the first place I didn't think it would generate such unnecessary unpleasantness, But I think that enough is enough now though don't you? I don't know you you don't know me, but I feel this has started to get personal so can we agree to let it go?

Solitaire Thu 23-May-19 20:41:03

I can't understand why anyone thinks this is a good look??
I absolutely hate tattoos.

4allweknow Thu 23-May-19 20:40:25

Can't say I can understand the yearning to have tattoos plastered all over. I do feel if someone had an accident that left them covered in marks similar to tattoos, it wouldn't be long before there was a demand to have them removed.

Nograndsyet Thu 23-May-19 20:32:42

I have 4 small ones which all mean something personal to me. I was careful to have them done where I will get least wrinkles. Like most people who have tattoos, I actually forget that I have them. I have 4 brothers none of whom have tattoos but they’ve never said I shouldn’t. Most tattoos are works of art and should be respected as such

Sassieannie Thu 23-May-19 19:23:15

I'm not keen on them, but my daughter is covered. Linked in part to low self-esteem. As for the NHS removing them.... dermatology appointments are like hens teeth and Drs have to apply for funding to make referrals for some natural skin conditions, let along self-inflicted ones.

Mapleleaf Thu 23-May-19 19:03:09

It's personal choice, isn't it? My personal choice is not to have any as I think they look unattractive when they are smothered all over the body. However, that's just my own personal opinion, other people feel differently, and as a few other posters have said, "each to their own".

ladytina42 Thu 23-May-19 18:41:38

My step son and his wife each had verses tattooed down the side of their bodies about how they had met and how in love they were etc... including each other’s names....they are now divorced...oh the folly of youth.

AlisonKF Thu 23-May-19 18:26:20

Count me in with tattoo dislikes. Particularly ugly are those on arms and neck on young women, guaranteed to ruin any attractive dress especially wedding dresses. OK I suppose if you want to marry in dungarees as an eco warrior, but many also want the fairy princess look. You cant have that with tattoos. Actors should steer well clear, or lose parts in anything set before about 2005.

varian Thu 23-May-19 18:19:40

I think it is so very sad to see a beautiful young woman in a strapless wedding dress exposing acres of flesh disfigured by tattoos.

MawBroonsback Thu 23-May-19 18:17:44

I have no idea why my comments are under education I certainly wouldn't be trying to educate anyone

In case you had forgotten ( Wed 20.58)

MawBroonsback Thu 23-May-19 18:14:42

If you are so obsessed with the thread being under the wrong topic please feel free to get GNHQ to change it your self

No, jennyvg you started the thread in “Education” despite claiming that you had no idea how it came to be there confused .

MawBroonsback Thu 23-May-19 18:11:35

As I said jennyvg -
Overthinking.
And what on earth makes you think I don’t read newspapers or watch TV? <shakes head>
Your extrapolation from depression in the young to depression in the elderly exacerbated by their wrinkly tattoos is breathtaking.
Also frankly, irrelevant.
Why don’t you just admit you don’t like tattoos and let those who do and those who don’t and those who don’t give a fig, either way, just have their own opinions.

sazz1 Thu 23-May-19 17:45:54

One of my nieces has the date if her daughter's death tattood in Roman numerals on her back. Trouble is I can read Roman numerals and the year is written wrong but I can't tell her. The tattoost obviously didn't know how to write it. Personally I think they make women look rough but good luck to all that want them each to their own.

nightswimmer Thu 23-May-19 17:45:36

Up to the individual.

sodapop Thu 23-May-19 17:35:12

It's a very personal thing isn't it. I don't like them but its up to each of us to decide what we do with our bodies. My daughter had a friend who had tattoos everywhere including his face, he was one of the kindest people I know. We do tend to equate tattoos with anti social behaviour and of course this is a sweeping generalisation.

jennyvg Thu 23-May-19 17:33:03

MawBroonsback you ask when did depression come into the equation, perhaps you don't watch TV or read newspapers but at the moment depression especially in the young is a very serious & much talked about & discussed subject. I suppose that is probably what got me thinking about what would happen if the now young women when old got depressed about their tatoos

Merryweather Thu 23-May-19 17:25:31

I don't like tattoos, but each to their own. I have seen some really nice artistic ones that have made me think twice.
I am covered in scars and disfigured by them, however, if I were to have a tattoo and then another op or accident the surgery to repair any damage would disfigure the tattoo and make it look awful.
So I guess my question is what happens when you have surgery or stitches over an existing tattoo?

Annaram1 Thu 23-May-19 17:18:15

I refused a date with an otherwise lovely man because he had a lizard tattooed all up the side of his face.
There seem to be a lot of tattooed Grans on here!

GreenGran78 Thu 23-May-19 17:10:48

An amusing footnote to my other post. An acquaintance of mine, born female, but who always identified herself as male, finally decided to have the sex-change surgery. (S)he had a religious tattoo on each forearm. Skin was used from there to build the necessary male appendage, resulting in much hilarity from all who knew. Not many men have a 'you-know-what' decorated with part of a crucifix!
True story! He is now a much happier person, and has had new tattoos to hide the scars on his arms.

jennyvg Thu 23-May-19 17:04:37

MawBroonsback I was not moaning about young women I was merely commenting on the fact that in later life they may get depressed & would then maybe seek help from the NHS to get them removed. Nothing wrong with wrinkles I already have them myself. I am entitled to my opinions as you are yours. If you are so obsessed with the thread being under the wrong topic please feel free to get GNHQ to change it your self. One thing I would like to add I am not prejudiced against anyone with a tatoo I have 2 nieces who both have tatoos they know how I feel about them & don't seem to mind, in later life they are depressed about them & I am still around & have the means to help them get rid them I will certainly do so.