Gransnet forums

Education

Young women's Tatoos

(159 Posts)
jennyvg Wed 22-May-19 16:43:10

Yesterday whilst out shopping I noticed an attractive young woman with heavily tattooed arms, she also had some sort of flower design going up her neck, it crossed my mind that it seemed a shame to in my mind disfigure herself in this way, but her choice nothing to do with me, then I started thinking what is going to happen when these young women become old women like me, skin gone a bit wrinkly and flabby, will they then become depressed and want the tatoos removed? If so is this going to the next great strain on NHS resources? Just a thought what do others Gransnetters think?

Orangedog Mon 27-May-19 16:18:30

I have 8, regret them all so I'm getting them all removed. Some good deals for removals on coupon sites like Groupon, seems a bit.. Well, wrong to use NHS resources for it.
I got them when I was slim, had crazy coloured hair and it really suited me. Now I'm a mother, a bit chubby and in a professional setting, they don't suit me in the slightest. Don't mind them on others though.
My sister has a very beautiful smallish one on her ribcage and it's so 'her' I can't imagine her without it.

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 18:44:39

*Someone I know was recently interviewing for a teacher at the primary school he was a governor for. He said one candidate had tattooed arms beneath his shirt, and rightly or wrongly that put him, the interviewer, off that person.
Don’t know who got the job.*

Wrongly. HTH.

Calendargirl Sat 25-May-19 18:28:26

nanny2507
I agree!

nanny2507 Sat 25-May-19 17:43:51

going off subject by quite a lot but...I hate it when people go abroad for surgical enhancements or work cos its cheap and then when it goes wrong they go to the NHS to sort it!!!

varian Sat 25-May-19 11:33:48

At one time my job took me into a prison where I had a conversation with an inmate who had been in and out of prisons all his adult life. He complained that many of the other inmates did not accept that he was a proper criminal because he didn't have any tattoos!. He said "I just don't happen to like tattoos so why should I have to have them just to prove I'm a real villain?"

Admittedly that was many years ago, at a time when, in general, only sailors or criminals had tattoos. I know times have changed and many perfectly law-abiding people are tattooed these days, but I think many others, especially older people, can't help being prejudiced against them.

Anniel Sat 25-May-19 09:02:19

It is breathtakingly unthinking to state that if you no longer like your tattoos you can get them removed by the NHS free. I can only hope the remark was ironic or in levity. You can do what you think is attractive to your own body but to suggest the NHS will remove them free is not true nor desirable in my opinion. Take responsibility for your decision.

Calendargirl Sat 25-May-19 07:44:50

P.S.
Realise this thread is about women’s tattoos, although my comment concerned a man.

Calendargirl Sat 25-May-19 07:41:32

Someone I know was recently interviewing for a teacher at the primary school he was a governor for. He said one candidate had tattooed arms beneath his shirt, and rightly or wrongly that put him, the interviewer, off that person.
Don’t know who got the job.

Lilyflower Sat 25-May-19 05:15:42

Tattoos make me feel nervous and ill.

They are always making a statement but it is never the one the wearer thinks they are making.

lmm6 Fri 24-May-19 21:42:27

They only look ok on old sailors.

varian Fri 24-May-19 19:25:46

I am just so grateful that none of my children or grandchildren have tattoos.

nanny2507 Fri 24-May-19 18:37:56

its a great thread gives everyone chance to voice their opinions and thats brilliant x

jennyvg Fri 24-May-19 12:37:27

Tedber Thankyou, we are definitely in the minority on this site, & has been pointed out to me several times each to his or her own.

Tedber Fri 24-May-19 11:20:58

I think I actually have a PHOBIA about tattoos like some people have phobias to spiders! I just don't 'get' why people think they enhance their appearance at all. I see a lovely looking young woman in a beautiful say white/cream dress and these truly ugly looking ink stains all down her arms/chest/neck/legs wherever. Makes me shudder. I want to wet a hanky and rub them out!

I have actually yet to see a tattoo I think looks nice. And yes, it does seem to become an addiction - once people get one they seem to carry on!

Thank you jennyvg for bringing this up and letting me voice my disapproval about tattoos. I am definitely in the minority but there do seem to be a fair few folk who agree with me too.

SirChenjin Fri 24-May-19 11:17:58

I dislike them intensely for many different reasons and have yet to see one in real life that looks tasteful, but that's just my opinion - as long as they aren't offensive, don't interfere with my life or create demands on overstretched NHS resources (which they won't, I'm sure) then it's up to the individual what they want to do with their bodies.

I'm just very relieved that neither of my elder 2 DCs (both early 20s) have them or have any intention of getting them as your tastes change so much when you're young. If it was down to me at that age to make that sort of decision I'd now have enormous permed hair and heavy black eyeliner in my 50s!

boheminan Fri 24-May-19 07:44:04

Oh dear...same old vitriol after all sad

HannahLoisLuke Fri 24-May-19 07:42:37

My younger daughter had a small seahorse in her shoulder. As she got older she hated it and had several expensive laser treatments to get rid if it. All that did was leave her with a very smudgy faded seahorse!
She then had a tree tattooed on top of the old one but would still rather not have it at all.
She sometimes uses a scar covering makeup on it if she wants to disguise its presence and that works really well. It is a small tattoo though, don't know how well it would work on bigger ones.
By the way, I don't think it's judgemental not to employ people with visible tattoos in professions like the law. It can still give a false impression to clients.

Kandinsky Fri 24-May-19 07:29:32

Tattoos on men ......can look quite sexy.

Tattoos on women......99% of the time they look cheap, tacky, & chavvy.

If you want your body to look like a badly graffitied public toilet then go ahead.

Susiewakie Fri 24-May-19 07:27:44

I think everyone should do as they please my reason for not having any tattoos was this :I was 18 on a Greek island with a group of girls and a old lady called us over to get her a drink we did then got chatting She lifted her very old arms and showed us her tattoos by stretching the skin out and then showed us more .She then said girls I am 89 look at these tattoos don't get any ! It just stuck with me But daughter and Daughter in law have them x

Saggi Fri 24-May-19 06:50:28

If you are stupid enough, or dissatisfied with who you are ,enough to get yourself tattooed then getting them removed is cosmetic surgery and the person should pay to have it done privately! That’s why there is a minimal age limit for tattoos....an age when you have supposedly grown out of childish stuff!

Dockersgirl1955 Fri 24-May-19 05:51:53

Your not being unreasonable at all if that's your opinion. Personally I love tattoos my 3 adult children have them everywhere my 2 sons do my daughter has a a few but in good taste she has 2 little bows just under her collar bones on her back she has a horse shoe with my late fathers name around the outside of the horse shoe in the middle she has written Grandads little girl as she adored him and took his death extremely hard but this tattoo means the world to her and I know my father would give her the ??Up as my / brothers were Jockeys and myself and my father owned racehorses so this tattoo is powerful in its meaning and my 2 sons have on their bodies stories as each tattoo to them means something important. It's actually body art in its finest form

absent Fri 24-May-19 05:28:42

There is a long tradition of elaborate tattoos in all the islands of the southern Pacific, including New Zealand where I live. In the past, it was always women who did the tattoos which both represented all kinds of stories about their ancestry and beginnings and celebrated the power of women. Once Europeans arrived, these women were side-lined and tattoos became a male thing.

Tattooing is an art form here often using subtle colours and highly detailed original designs. My daughter has the most beautifully delicate spray of flowers on the back of her neck as well as a unique Celtic design on one arm to celebrate her Irish ancestry. She and her father also have the same design of two bees – their shared initials.

I do not have tattoos, partly because I am already old and wrinkly and partly because these sorts of tattoos take a long time to do – sometimes more than one session of several hours each. They also cost a lot of money. However, I am hugely impressed with the sheer beauty – no other word for it – of the tattoos that decorate the bodies of both my daughter and son-in-law, including one each from their holiday in Bali. No barbed wire, bright red hearts and tatty roses with a name banner beneath in this part of the world.

Missfoodlove Thu 23-May-19 23:20:26

I would not employ anyone with visible tattoos in a customer facing role.
I cringe when I see a tattoo.
I do not understand why anyone would permanently ink themselves.
I wish I felt differently and I understand how some people think it’s creative, expressive etc.
I just think it looks awful.

Resurgam123 Thu 23-May-19 23:18:41

I hate them as well. There is a guy in a local pub who has the most horrible tattoos. They are all over his arms little arrow all over his arms and legs and snakes etc.
Another awful one I saw was a woman with half a black unfinished swooping angel.

To me they look very aggressive.
If you want to do that to yourself it's up to you.

moggie57 Thu 23-May-19 22:53:03

wherever. sorry.