Gransnet forums

Estrangement

I don’t know who I am

(34 Posts)
agnurse Fri 05-Jul-19 04:29:27

This is a problem. It's not healthy to allow yourself to be defined by another person. This is why it's very important for women, especially, to find a way to fill the time when their children are grown.

As an example, my mother homeschooled us starting when I was in Grade 4. She continued homeschooling and online schooling until my youngest brother started Grade 10. By this time she had been a SAHM for 25 years. But when Bro4 started at the local high school, she started taking cello lessons (she is a pianist, organist, and singer already), joined a cello ensemble, and started taking language classes at the local uni (she is fluent in French, with a B.A. in French and an M.A. in political science; she started taking German classes). Today she and my father teach a course in scientific writing for people who are ESL speakers, and she is the current president of her church women's group. She was proactive in developing her own interests, which I think is fantastic.

I do sometimes wonder if this is why some women start "taking over" when they become GMs, even if it's against the AC's wishes.

kittylester Thu 04-Jul-19 20:11:30

Weird to out it on Estrangement though.

M0nica Thu 04-Jul-19 20:09:30

Did she start, change her mind and post rather than delete?

I do hope Lfranc72 comes back with more confidence to let us know what her difficulty is so we can offer her help and advice.

Many women who have deoted themselves to their families, do find as they age and children and grandchildren no longer need their care and concern that they fell lost and DHs are not always that helpful at times like that.

aggie Thu 04-Jul-19 19:48:31

I am who I am , I was mrs A s wee girl , bs big sister , mr o s wife and now am Ks Mother , ( poor lassie is my image ) and Mros widow ............... sigh

annodomini Thu 04-Jul-19 19:43:55

Why?

EllanVannin Thu 04-Jul-19 19:27:05

Well if you don't know who you are by now there's not much going for you is there ?

Gonegirl Thu 04-Jul-19 18:49:12

So, are you estranged from yourself?

You got married when you were 33. HTH.

SalsaQueen Thu 04-Jul-19 18:47:34

I'm 60 and have been married for 39 years. What's wrong?

Lfranc72 Thu 04-Jul-19 18:33:13

I am 72 and have been married for 39 years.