Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Eggshells

(55 Posts)
HolyHannah Wed 11-Dec-19 18:47:03

In my experience, 'walking on eggshells' and 'holding your tongue' are not the same things AT ALL. Some people use the terms interchangeably but I disagree.

Walking on eggshells to me is when you are in a situation you cannot 'escape' (like minor child/parent) and you are watching every 'step' so you don't 'crack any more shells' (induce their rage).

Having to 'hold your tongue' to not get a "bad reaction" is just common sense and polite behavior. If someone is getting annoyed at the tone or content of what you are saying to them, then stop. NOT being able to say whatever you want (regardless of intent) is not the same. The annoyed party, "not hearing you out" (continue to put up with comments/behavior unwanted) is not the same either.

Chewbacca Wed 11-Dec-19 18:37:02

To answer your question is it worth it, I would say, without hesitation, no, it's not Madgran. I can only liken it to having beaten your head against a wall for years and years and years and then suddenly, you stop. And all you feel is a blessed relief and sense if calm. It takes a little while to get used to because, for so long, the egg shell walking and sense of trepidation before you see or speak to that person, has become the norm. I was just relieved that it was all over and I wouldn't have that "pit of my stomach" feeling ever again.

Summerlove Wed 11-Dec-19 18:33:01

I find eggshell walking interesting.

It seems to come in a range of forms. A version I see often though is that someone has to “walk on eggshells” and “hold their tongue” about things that aren’t really their business to discuss anyway. A lot of cases it’s just being polite, but people dislike not being about to say whatever thought comes into their minds.

Bbarb Wed 11-Dec-19 18:26:02

I see where you're coming from, but there's nothing worse to bear than a family relationship that is irretrievably broken.

Madgran77 Wed 11-Dec-19 18:21:56

So often I see references to people "walking on eggshells" to maintain relationships. Often they reference a fear of estrangement that keeps them doing it, even though they feel annoyed at being in that position.

Over time there have been posts from AC who say that they tread on eggshells with their parents and posts from Parents who say they tread on eggshells with their AC. Some have said that they have ended up estranged and are glad that the eggshell treading has gone.

Basically anyone who is treading on eggshells to maintain a relationship is not able to be themselves in that relationship. Is it worth it?