Gransnet forums

Estrangement

I have some questions

(64 Posts)
Yennifer Mon 23-Dec-19 20:51:53

So I've been spending the last few evenings reading through the conversations here. I've noticed some things that I am curious about. Please forgive me if I muck up the abbreviations. Please don't think I mean any offence. It really is curiosity and thinking about how a lot of what I read here made me feel.

1. There seems to be a lot of distrust between EPs and EACs and animosity at times. Why is that?

2. Reconsiliations stories are seldom and don't seem to be very happy, trust doesn't seem to come back and there doesn't seem to be much effort to repair the rift with wider family. Why is that?

3. I've seen comments from some saying that there is no justification for estrangement, is that genuine or just anger talking?

4. There are a few EPs who seem genuinely empathetic towards EACs and vice versa but relationships here appear to break down over very small things and become irreparable. Why is that?

5. I feel a little sense of competition, like one scenario might be more painful than the other. Which do you think is more painful and why?

6. I've also noticed an underlying thread of "just get over it". Why is that?

No obligation to answer. Very sorry if I am being very nosy. I'd like to stay but I feel worried I will fall into some sort of trap if I don't understand the dynamic. Thank you.

HolyHannah Tue 24-Dec-19 18:15:47

Yennifer -- Conflicts arise when people gas-light and pretend they are not doing it.

More conflict arises when people say things like, "I will always 'side' with..." based on their situation and when called on it/it is pointed out? More gas-lighting and rug-sweeping/denial from some.

The real conflict arises when some can see right through the same dysfunction we grew up with and they don't like it. I have no problem with seeing a bird floating on the water and quacking and calling it a duck. And if a duck doesn't want to be seen as such, perhaps it should stop fluffing its feathers, preening and quacking while floating on a pond and it won't get called a duck.

Happy Holidays to All.

Smileless2012 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:17:53

I hope you enjoyed your bubble bath Yennifer; the "pre bedtime madness" sounds wonderful. Christmas needs children to make it really magical.

You're right GN is "a tiny bit addictive"tchsmile.

'Merry Christmas' x

Smileless2012 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:21:47

"Conflict arises when people gas-light and pretend they are not doing it" absolutely HolyHannah and such a shame when it happens on Christmas Eve.

Let's hope that any lighting is now kept for our Christmas candles.

Merry Christmas.

Madgran77 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:23:22

Problems also arise when people's stories are not believed. Sometimes this seems to be because the story does not match the experience of another poster. It is a pity when that happens as of course there are so many different scenarios in estrangement. In then end estrangement is sad, even when it is the right and necessary thing for an AC/AP or GP to do.

notanan2 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:27:22

There is a horrible unhealthy trend here of some EP threads "approving" some EACs who have laid bare their war wounds to them and have been deemed sufficiently abused to be the right kind of EAC.

It is disgusting and deeply unhealthy.

Madgran77 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:32:15

notanan There is a horrible unhealthy trend here of some EP threads "approving" some EACs who have laid bare their war wounds to them and have been deemed sufficiently abused to be the right kind of EAC

Which threads notanan ...I haven't picked up "approval" or otherwise, just an ongoing tendency for threads to descend in niggling and arguments, which I think is such a shame.

notanan2 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:42:15

Ones where a bunch of EPs tell a (usually vulnerable/fragile) EAC poster that they have been sufficently abused to be the kind of EAC who is deserving of their "support"

Madgran77 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:46:09

Ones where a bunch of EPs tell a (usually vulnerable/fragile) EAC poster that they have been sufficently abused to be the kind of EAC who is deserving of their "support"

I haven't seen any quite like that. My observation would be that it is how posters (EAC/EPs/EGPs) express themselves that quite often causes the problems, not the "level/sufficiency of the abuse they have suffered. .

Smileless2012 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:56:00

No, I haven't seen any threads like that either notanan.

I agree with you Madgran, it has nothing to do with how much or how little someone has suffered, it's how those experiences are expressed, and whether they can be expressed without lashing out at others who are also suffering.

notanan2 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:57:47

There have been plenty of posts where EAC are told that NC is "allowed" if they have improbably machievellian disney villan parents.

Some more vulnerable/damaged posters then seek approval and lay their wounds bare to get "yay" or "nay"ed. Very unhealthy situation for a person who craves approval due to it lacking in their own upbringing.

And if approved, they are used as a stick to beat posters OWN AC with "well I never did THAT to MY children, so they dont pass the threshold for acceptable NCing"

So while there are some ACs "accepted" on EP threads, it is not a good/healthy place for them to be!

notanan2 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:59:14

Smileless, you of all people have DEFINITELY seen the unhealthy threads I have seen being an active contributer to them! (And having personally driven posters from same)

HolyHannah Tue 24-Dec-19 19:08:05

Gas-lighting -- "Yes let's ignore anything that's off topic and let's ignore posts that bring into disrepute the claims that a poster made about EAC not being wanted and being bullied, when they weren't."

But some have been and ARE. SO...

tidyskatemum Tue 24-Dec-19 19:26:10

I have a friend who is semi- estranged from her DD. Although they had always had a good relationship, after a 2 year stay in the USA the DD became convinced that all her problems (the stress of 2 children under 3 and a part time job) were down to her mother, and was encouraged by others to go NC. It hasn't entirely happened yet but friend has not seen her DGC for 6 months, despite DD and husband having returned to the UK earlier this year. Forgive me if I appear naive but the US cultish encouragement of going NC seems to be damaging to so many relationships. From posts I have seen GN appears to endorse posts from supporters of NC in the US, which is worrying. I can understand that there are genuine cases where people are better off without family influences but so much of the input from US posters is so entirely negative that it cannot be healthy. I shall stand by for the onslaught from the mortally offended brigade.

notanan2 Tue 24-Dec-19 19:33:08

Wow tidy, in your friend's opinion, your friend is not the bad guy in her version of events! Fancy that what a turn up for the books!

Madgran77 Tue 24-Dec-19 19:36:36

There have been plenty of posts where EAC are told that NC is "allowed" if they have improbably machievellian disney villan parents.

I have seen posts where EAC have been offered support and have not villified for their decision.

Some more vulnerable/damaged posters then seek approval and lay their wounds bare to get "yay" or "nayed.

I'm not sure what the "yay" or "nayed" constitutes? There are arguments yes, but I don't see, or have missed, where EACs are told that their Non contact/estrangement decision was specifically not valid.

HolyHannah Tue 24-Dec-19 19:40:41

No Contact in my experience has IMPROVED my relationships because the ones I have now are healthy. My 'mom' may FEEL that she is the injured party but there is one common 'person' whenever relationship issues came up in my FOO. Her. So from her perspective No Contact is hurting HER but she doesn't CARE that contact with her hurts everyone but her.

And how does one determine who is 'American' or not unless they have stated?

notanan2 Tue 24-Dec-19 19:41:14

I have seen posts where EAC have been offered support and have not villified for their decision.

Yeah... me too... once they meet the GN threshold of suffering disney villan type abuse, and have grovelled for a resolution till it near killed them!

People who just walk away because life is better without someone in it that with... but wasnt beaten black n blue daily and never fed or clothed... not so much!

Madgran77 Tue 24-Dec-19 19:59:59

*Yeah... me too... once they meet the GN threshold of suffering disney villan type abuse, and have grovelled for a resolution till it near killed them!
People who just walk away because life is better without someone in it that with... but wasn't beaten black n blue daily and never fed or clothed... not so much!*

I will spend a bit of time re reading some estrangement threads I think as this is not a consistent pattern of response that I have observed. Each estrangement scenario is individual to each person so I suppose responses would adjust accordingly but I think you are saying that sympathy is given only if a person has suffered physical abuse, rather than long term emotional abuse.

notanan2 Tue 24-Dec-19 20:09:49

Nobody has any right to approve or otherwise another person's relationship end. It is not down to individual circumstances, nobody has to stay in a relationship with anyone they dont want to be with.

Two have to consent to remain in a relationship, but you do not need both party's consent to end it. And that is how it should be.

The giving of aproval which isn't yours to give is an unhealthy dynamic.

Chewbacca Tue 24-Dec-19 20:18:38

Yeah... me too... once they meet the GN threshold of suffering disney villan type abuse, and have grovelled for a resolution till it near killed them!

I have no recollection of that ever happening to me notanan. And I'm an EAC. But then again, I've never insisted that the pain and sorrow of being an EAC is in any way worse or "more valid" than that of an EP/EGP. I've recognised that, whoever you've become estranged from, and whatever your reason is for being where you are, the sadness and misery it causes is the same for all.

Madgran77 Tue 24-Dec-19 20:23:43

Notanan I am not trying to give approval atall, why on earth would I! As you say that is no-ones right. I am simply saying that you have presented me with a specific perspective on a pattern of responses that you have observed on this forum. It is not a pattern that I have observed and therefore I will spend a bit of time to see if I can see what you mean.

By individual circumstances I meant that the circumstances that made someone decide to estrange which will be individual to them. Of course no one has to stay in a relationship if they don't want to, I don't think that I have suggested that anyone should.

Madgran77 Tue 24-Dec-19 20:50:37

No Contact in my experience has IMPROVED my relationships because the ones I have now are healthy

Yes Holy Hannah, quite a few estranged posters have said that. I suppose that it is inevitable as one is removing oneself from an unhealthy relationship and therefore can focus only on healthy ones that both parties want

Sara65 Tue 24-Dec-19 21:12:31

No one needs anyone’s permission to estrange from a parent, especially not the approval of anyone on this forum.

Not everything is a massive drama, heinous acts of cruelty or abuse don’t have to be the story behind an estrangement, although I’m aware they often are. Sometimes, it’s knowing you are neither liked, nor approved of, that you have not a single happy or warm memory of being with that parent, when being with them brings you down, and you know you’re a worse person when you’re with them.

Then it’s best to walk away, you don’t need to get anyone’s permission.

Madgran77 Tue 24-Dec-19 21:20:57

No one needs anyone’s permission to estrange from a parent, especially not the approval of anyone on this forum.

No-one needs anyone's permission to estrange from anyone, parent, child, grandparent, friend! Noone has suggested that they do. I am unsure why my comments appear to have been read as if I am suggesting that anyone needs permission. I have not suggested that and do not think it.

Chewbacca Tue 24-Dec-19 21:22:40

Yet again Sara65, you've said precisely what I've tried, rather clumsily, to say. This, for me, says it all:

Not everything is a massive drama, heinous acts of cruelty or abuse don’t have to be the story behind an estrangement, although I’m aware they often are. Sometimes, it’s knowing you are neither liked, nor approved of, that you have not a single happy or warm memory of being with that parent.

Thank you Sara65.