Gransnet forums

Estrangement

"Yes. I’m talking to you EC." -- Well, I am an Estranged Child and I'm willing to listen...

(159 Posts)
HolyHannah Fri 31-Jan-20 07:03:12

Here's the message:

I went over and visited a few other sites that are dedicated to the children of estrangement. I noticed a whole lot of finger pointing and accusations of Narcissism especially among mothers. Some brought up this website as if a narcissistic parent would spend time looking to resolve their grief online. No kiddos. Let me tell you what a narcissistic parent looks like. A mother that neglects her children to go out to bars, feeds her kids the same meals day in and day out to buy cigarettes and beer for her man. A mother that tells you that you should have died instead of your sister. That’s just the very teeny tip of the iceberg of my relationship with my mother. I could post things here that would make most people’s heads explode. The point is that as screwed up as my mother was all my life, as immature as she still is, I stand by her and help her when she is sick today. I don’t turn my back on her because I came to realize as I got older that we all tend to reflect our own upbringing. My mother was raised by an undiagnosed paranoid bipolar parent. She was physically abused herself and emotionally terrorized. Perhaps that kept her in a perpetual state of adolescence. I don’t know for sure but what I do know is that there was nothing I did as a child to deserve maltreatment. I could walk away from my mother but I do the right thing by letting both of my parents off the hook. I don’t wish for them to die knowing that they were hated by me. Now if I can forgive my parents who I promise you were absolute monsters to me growing up, maybe you can stop feeling sorry for yourselves and do the same. When they are gone you will never have the chance to clear that up. Now I don’t recommend reconciliation in the case of sexual abuse but if you are keeping yourself away for things such as your mom was too nosy or she embarrassed you a few times, get over it. It happens to all children and guess what, if you have kids you’re bound to screw up without even intending to. Lord knows I had that first time my daughter told me I was stupid and that she hated me for being mean. It will happen to you! Furthermore, you say that you have gone no contact but what have you done in return that is actually quite dangerous. You’re putting the strangers online own personal biases as support for your complaints about parents. You’re relegating yourselves to impersonal support chats instead of trying to mend the relationships with the people that kept you alive and kept your tushies clean for the first few years of your existence. Children, adult children and parents will always have friction. Lower your expectations and see your parents as the people they are and not just as solely your parents. It is disappointing when you first realize your parents are not the idealized versions we see on television but you owe it to yourself to at least try to have compassion and understanding for them just as you would any other person on the internet.

Smileless2012 Sun 02-Feb-20 14:23:37

So your saying my post isn't believable are you Yennifer, what are you saying then, that I'm a liar?

None of our mistakes have led to a bad relationship or estrangement with our other son so what's your point? I hope you're right I really do, that any mistakes you have made wont ever result in a bad relationship of estrangement with any of your children.

We never expected to be estranged from either of our sons, but we are.

Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 15:10:31

Wait what? We aren't talking about people here? We are talking about people like the OP. I don't know everything you have shared here Smileless2012! Why did you decide I meant you without just asking? x

Chewbacca Sun 02-Feb-20 15:31:39

I think people sense the arrogance of others sometimes, the total absoluteness of their wording that they are the only ones who are right and lacking ability to hear any other point of view.

Ain't that the truth. And if only we were born with a mirror in our hands. Xx

rosecarmel Sun 02-Feb-20 15:39:20

Yennifer, I can't say with any certainty that what I'm about to say is true, but it appears to be-

Sometimes clarity is mistaken for arrogance- And when mistaken, there's defensiveness- There's the mistaken sense that people aren't equal, instead of it simply being a case of a person, any person, being better at "one" thing than another-

For example, when people are clear about what they will or will not allow, resulting in the establishing of a healthy boundary, their effort is often mistaken for arrogance instead of compassion, compassion for all involved-

With clarity, one can assume responsibility for their actions-

Smileless2012 Sun 02-Feb-20 15:43:13

Were you talking about people like the OP Yennifer? You certainly didn't make any reference to the OP in your post which directly followed mine.

Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 15:47:49

There is a big difference between talking about things we have seen and heard and things that have been directly said to us as our own experience and saying that can't have possibly ever have happened because it is outside our own experience. Or like OP saying that they did things a certain way so all must be able to achieve the same. We are all different people and it's arrogant to think otherwise. It's arrogant of OP to define abuse when we all know that there are so many kinds of abuse that are damaging. All my comments on this post have clearly talked about what I have seen and heard elsewhere and why I like it here rather than there... Maybe I was wrong about that or maybe some buttons have been pushed but its me doing the pushing x

Starlady Sun 02-Feb-20 15:50:40

I don't want to get in the middle between you, Smileless and Yennifer. I just want to say that, in general, I think we often need to be clear about who we're addressing or referring to. It can be so easy to misunderstand on these online forums where we don't hear intonation or see body language, etc.

Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 15:52:33

Starlady I do do that if I am talking to someone and not just adding to the conversation x

Starlady Sun 02-Feb-20 15:54:46

By "we," I mean all of us here on this forum.

Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 15:55:31

Ha ha not me doing the pushing I meant to say! Now I sound like an arse eh x

Starlady Sun 02-Feb-20 15:57:26

No, Yennifer. We just need an edit button. LOL!

Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 15:57:55

We do!

Smileless2012 Sun 02-Feb-20 15:58:43

Yes we do need to be clear Starlady.

Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 15:59:24

Maybe I forget to use people names when answering sometimes actually Starlady. I can see why that is a huge problem actually as, sometimes I read something and go to the reply box before I look at comments after. Not a good idea x

rosecarmel Sun 02-Feb-20 16:09:32

Chewbacca, we are born with mirrors- Our minds are mirrors, sometimes clear, sometimes fogged, sometimes wavy and distorted like a funhouse, sometimes cracked .. smile

Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 16:16:10

Smileless2012, I've clarified. Why are you still badgering me? It's annoying x

Chewbacca Sun 02-Feb-20 16:16:24

And sometimes so completely covered with bullshit that they're no use to anyone. Xx

Smileless2012 Sun 02-Feb-20 16:22:10

What I find extremely annoying is being accused of badgering a poster when that is not what I am doing Yennifer. I agreed with Starlady about the need to be clear. How can that possibly be construed as badgering you?

Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 16:23:43

I'll tell you one thing, I'm not easy to hurt. I've never met another human being that could cut me like my mother. The OP only hurt by reminding me of my mothers words and if I knew who the OP was I'd not be bothered by them in future. Gaslighting, invalidating comments and passive aggression in general I'm not really fussed by honestly. You'd have to try pretty hard to out do the woman who raised me lol x

Smileless2012 Sun 02-Feb-20 16:26:19

It's good to know you're not easily hurt Yennifer. After all that we've been through, neither am I.

Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 16:26:40

OK Smileless2012 that's fine x

Chewbacca Sun 02-Feb-20 16:36:03

Yennifer I've noticed that you've used the term "badgering" several times this weekend. On each occasion that you've accused someone of "badgering" you; teven when they've only mentioned something to you once. I know this because you've done it to me and I've come to recognise it as an avoidance tactic.
So, for the avoidance of doubt, " Badgering is to bother. Persistently. So please get it right. Because it's an annoying to be accused of something one hasn't done, isn't it? . Xxx

Starlady Sun 02-Feb-20 16:40:55

"I could have put up with so much if she had just loved me. I would have put up with so much less if I hadn't loved her. "

This comment really got to me, Yennifer. I can't even find the right words to express why. Just sending you lots of hugs!

rosecarmel Sun 02-Feb-20 16:41:24

Starlady, to be fair, you failed to point out that all Smileless had to do was ask-

Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 16:46:44

Thanks for the hugs Starlady x