Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Christmas alone

(52 Posts)
Gingerrice Thu 03-Dec-20 00:08:48

My daughter and son's family have both informed they will be in their fathers bubble this year . We have been divorced 10 years and in the past have ' shared' them over Christmas though none of my sons ever come to stay overnight at mine always preferring their dads place. Admittedly he has a much bigger house with ensuite bedrooms etc so why wouldn't they? But this year it really hurts that none of them even asked me if I would be alone and just made their plans almost secretly. In fact I only found out when I asked my son if I could meet up with him and he admitted that he was hiring a car and would actually be 3 miles from my house not 2 hrs away as I had thought. I am not sure how I will get through Christmas Day and will not even tell my friends as I feel such a failure . This has been such a horrible year due to a bereavement and Covid I am really struggling. I would love to hear from anyone in similar position to know I'm not alone at least.

FlexibleFriend Fri 04-Dec-20 14:17:16

I don't understand why you'd feel a failure, have you fallen out with them because you didn't mention it. You should tell friends you'll be alone that way you may get invites or at the very least phone calls to lighten the day. I'd spoil myself by buying myself treats and do whatever I want on the day. I'd certainly still cook myself Christmas dinner. I was in this situation the year following my divorce and tbh I had a lovely day. Spoil yourself and don't give anyone else a thought.