Gransnet forums

Estrangement

New member question

(52 Posts)
Armadillo Tue 22-Dec-20 12:22:22

Hello

I'm trying to heal from my mum being abusive but I have a question I just can't answer. It's the question that keeps making me doubt myself and think that maybe I'm crazy.
Why did my other family allow her to abuse me? Why didn't they stick up for me? They know everything I'm saying is true because they were there for a lot of it but they either play it down and say I am too sensitive or tell me it didn't happen. Why do they lie about it?
My family won't talk to me unless I forgive mum but why then do I need to forgive her if it's me being out of order?
If my family had stood up for me my mum wouldn't have been able to abuse me in the first place. Why would people side with an abuser over their own daughter/sister?
I just don't understand it, I just wanted her to stop certain behaviours or I couldn't have relationship with her and when she wouldn't stop and got worse, I had no choice but to walk away.
Why do people allow abuse? Surely if they didn't there wouldn't be any?

Armadillo Tue 26-Jan-21 13:20:36

I didn't want to be in this situation.
I wonder if she would change or maybe that she wasn't that bad really when there has been distance.
I will try not looking in the future.