Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Exposing the divisive subject

(67 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Sat 10-Jul-21 12:06:16

I'm putting this here in empathy for all who have lost their friend or loved ones as a result of taking the covid jab.
There is so much misinformation - and the associated fear and rumours are especially cruel.

I know of lifelong friends abandoning the friendship, of teens not allowed to visit their friends anymore, of families split down the middle - meaning children are growing up without the generations of family members to care and look out for them and older generations are missing them.

Double jabbed along with most of my family and friends, it seems we have all lost someone due to covid- but because we have chosen to have the covid jab they wash their hands of us believing us to be contaminated, about to die.

Why will no one confront these lies and rumors, spread by the uneducated? Why are people allowing fear to make them turn their backs on friends and family?

In these forums we already have enough Estrangement- and now there is estrangement of family, friends and loved ones as a result of making an informed and (the best decision possible) for our own bodies. Even if no one comments on this, at least I hope this makes someone feel less alone because no one wants to say their best friend abandoned them or they can't see their family- it's said in a whisper and not generally discussed- but it's happening all the time and it should not be.

aonk Sat 10-Jul-21 12:12:29

I’m sorry for your situation. However I can honestly tell you that I know of very few people who have made the choice not to have the vaccination. I can only think of 2 people. One is a colleague of my DH who only works at home and the other is a distant relative whom we rarely see. All our family, friends and neighbours are vaccinated. We are lucky that we all feel the same way.

CafeAuLait Sat 10-Jul-21 12:18:49

It is sad, though I don't personally know of anyone who has made the decision to stay away from people based on Covid vaccination status.

I have made the decision that I have done the best to be protected by getting vaccinated. Having done that, I will get on with life. Otherwise why did I bother? I respect the decision of my family members who have chosen not to get vaccinated and will still see them. I also support the right of anyone to choose not to see someone who is not vaccinated.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 10-Jul-21 12:22:42

At first, I thought you meant the people who have died because they had the vaccines. You mean the alienation that’s come from people having the vaccines? Is that right?
I personally have no experience of this, but agree it’s very sad. I’ve been confused at times, on reading the ‘ advice’. It’s seemed so conflicting and contradictive.
I don’t know anyone who has refused the vaccine. Not even heard on the grapevine.
You ask why no one confronts the uneducated. You’ve seen what it’s like just on these forums, with differences of opinions. If people close their ears, there’s not much you can do.
We will endeavour to look after ourselves and our family, and pray for everyone else.
Keep safe Onwardandupward.

Lin52 Sat 10-Jul-21 12:28:06

So sorry if this has happened to you, and I cannot comprehend why people would do this, why people not listening to the experts on this, but rather the mischief makers that are always present on social media. The scaremongering around the Oxford AZ, four of my family have had, two under 50, no problems whatsoever, from Europe, initially , without research behind the claims, the claims re aspiration blood clots, much has been made around the awful consequences for some vaccinated people, as opposed to the millions that have been successfully vaccinated. I would suggest they read the peer reviewed evidence, freely available on the internet, you can lead a horse to water but not make it drink, they have made up their minds not to listen to reason. It is very sad people are missing out on support when they most need it.

Delila Sat 10-Jul-21 12:28:30

Why would anyone estrange someone because that person has been vaccinated? I’ve not come across this.

And why would friends/family abandon someone because they believe that they’re about to die (from whatever cause)?

This doesn’t seem to be about avoiding people who aren’t vaccinated.

Have I misunderstood the OP.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Jul-21 12:30:51

I don’t really understand your post but maybe that’s me being dim I thought the first sentence meant people dying from having the vaccination but you don’t mean that do you ?

I don’t have any family or friends not meeting me because I ve been jabbed in fact I know no one in this situation and haven’t heard of anyone in this situation and I have a very wide variety of friends and acquaintances I ve never heard of any children growing up without seeing their vaccinated relations …this all sounds very over egged
but it's happening all the time and it should not be I think this is a huge exaggeration I ve never heard of anybody not seeing vaccinated people
I only know one person who hasn’t had the vaccination because she’s a very ‘anti anything’ sort of person She still sits at the lunch table with all the rest of us school friends who meet …16 of us 15 vaccinated one not, she’s still welcome

Chewbacca Sat 10-Jul-21 12:36:19

Why would anyone estrange someone because that person has been vaccinated? I’ve not come across this.

Me neither. How would friends or family even know that you've been vaccinated unless you tell them? And what's the bit about vaccinated people are contaminated? Is this even a thing?
To be honest, if I had wackos in my family or friendship circle who thought I was contaminated I'd been vaccinated, I might well heave a sigh of relief that they'd moved away. Madness!

Soozikinzi Sat 10-Jul-21 12:45:37

I am aware of this situation so I feel I should comment in support of OP . My SiL has fallen out with her sister because she is so antibacterial ans her sister persuaded their brother not to have the vaccine . Sort from anything else one of their nieces works in ICU and another is a radiographer . So you can see how much the family is divided. It’s such a shame because they were a close family before.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 10-Jul-21 12:46:57

Soozikinzi

I am aware of this situation so I feel I should comment in support of OP . My SiL has fallen out with her sister because she is so antibacterial ans her sister persuaded their brother not to have the vaccine . Sort from anything else one of their nieces works in ICU and another is a radiographer . So you can see how much the family is divided. It’s such a shame because they were a close family before.

Yes, me too. I’ve heard of it. I’m sure there’s been threads about it on here.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Jul-21 12:48:05

But it must be rare soozik the original poster implies it’s happening all the time

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 10-Jul-21 13:07:30

I hadn’t heard of this before. How awful. May I ask, OP, is this attitude more prevalent in some ethnic minority communities? I’m not being racist, I genuinely have no idea. At least you’ve done what you can to protect yourself and those around you, which is a good thing. I hope those who avoid people who have been vaccinated see sense and that they don’t catch Covid.

geekesse Sat 10-Jul-21 13:42:13

I wonder if the OP is in the US, where conspiracy theories and fear-mongering are more common than in the UK.

sodapop Sat 10-Jul-21 15:02:49

I know there have been disagreements within some families about whether or not to be vaccinated. Not heard much about estrangement though, Brexit also caused similar problems. I'm sorry if you have been hurt by this sort of disagreement Onwardandupward

OnwardandUpward Sat 10-Jul-21 20:02:48

Yes, the alienation that has come after a vaccination. Not the losses as you would expect to lose someone by death, but when they say you are dead to them because you got vaccinated.

Last night another friend told me in a whisper that she had been abandoned by a lifelong friend. This is not a shameful secret or something the abandoned should be ashamed of. The ones who should be ashamed are the ones getting their news from TikTok, Telegram and The Unconventional Parent, among other similar beliefs.

As I pointed out to my (unvaccinated and fearful neighbour) yesterday, the ones spreading fear and division are NOT the ones with a medical degree- and those who recieved the vaccine first WERE the Doctors and nurses.

Instead of our newspapers spreading stupid stories about The Unconventional Parent, please someone with the voice of reason say something public to address and expose this nonsense.

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes I lost someone unexpected, but I'm not the only one. I probably wouldn't say anything if I thought I was the only one.

Galaxy Sat 10-Jul-21 20:09:20

One of my friends, who I have known since I was 3, is a full on conspiracy theorist, we live at opposite ends of the country so havent seen each other since the pandemic. I do wonder how we will interact when she realises I have been vaccinated, as according to her Facebook posts anyone who has the vaccine is unable to think for themselves, a sheep etc etc. I actually dont think it's that uncommon.

OnwardandUpward Sat 10-Jul-21 20:11:01

Chewbacca

^Why would anyone estrange someone because that person has been vaccinated? I’ve not come^ across this.

Me neither. How would friends or family even know that you've been vaccinated unless you tell them? And what's the bit about vaccinated people are contaminated? Is this even a thing?
To be honest, if I had wackos in my family or friendship circle who thought I was contaminated I'd been vaccinated, I might well heave a sigh of relief that they'd moved away. Madness!

For your sake I'm glad. Unfortunately I have been written off and excommunicated as have some of my friends - all because we are " contaminated"

Its ridiculous and sad that secret groups online are controlling these people and telling them they cannot mix with the vaccinated. It seems cult like how much they have been brainwashed and are now living in fear of the vaccinated.

I have always believed what someone does with their body is their choice and that others should respect your choice- whether its a medical treatment, a body piercing or tattoo. Its our body! To mark and avoid someone because of their medical choice is cult like. I believe they fear us and believe us to be dangerous. Sad!

LauraNorder Sat 10-Jul-21 20:12:13

I’ve never heard of this. Very strange idea.

theworriedwell Sat 10-Jul-21 20:13:08

I don't know anyone who has refused the jab. I heard today that the last of my 4 kids has had his second jab. Everyone I work with has. My siblings and their kids. I can't think of a single person who hasn't had it and been keen to get it.
Seems mad not to want it and even madder to reject people because they have.

I hope they see sense.

OnwardandUpward Sat 10-Jul-21 20:13:15

Galaxy

One of my friends, who I have known since I was 3, is a full on conspiracy theorist, we live at opposite ends of the country so havent seen each other since the pandemic. I do wonder how we will interact when she realises I have been vaccinated, as according to her Facebook posts anyone who has the vaccine is unable to think for themselves, a sheep etc etc. I actually dont think it's that uncommon.

The more I read social media posts, the more common I find it is.

Its so sad, but I believe they are the ones in fear. As I said to one, its more brave to have the vaccine than to be in fear of it. It went down like a lead balloon, as you can imagine.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Jul-21 20:13:30

Are you in a U.K. onward?
Is not something I ve heard if at all

OnwardandUpward Sat 10-Jul-21 20:20:55

Lin52

So sorry if this has happened to you, and I cannot comprehend why people would do this, why people not listening to the experts on this, but rather the mischief makers that are always present on social media. The scaremongering around the Oxford AZ, four of my family have had, two under 50, no problems whatsoever, from Europe, initially , without research behind the claims, the claims re aspiration blood clots, much has been made around the awful consequences for some vaccinated people, as opposed to the millions that have been successfully vaccinated. I would suggest they read the peer reviewed evidence, freely available on the internet, you can lead a horse to water but not make it drink, they have made up their minds not to listen to reason. It is very sad people are missing out on support when they most need it.

Three of us have had double doses of AZ and no medical problems.

Vulnerable souls are being singled out online and recruited to these groups. I believe they are being brainwashed and it seems cult like.

They cannot see it, but its they who are blind and fearful, following their leader. Meanwhile, we who are vaccinated have listened to scientists and Dr's then made an educated choice.

OnwardandUpward Sat 10-Jul-21 20:21:49

Yes I'm in UK, but this started in America apparently Bluebelle. Its getting out of hand.

OnwardandUpward Sat 10-Jul-21 20:24:05

theworriedwell

I don't know anyone who has refused the jab. I heard today that the last of my 4 kids has had his second jab. Everyone I work with has. My siblings and their kids. I can't think of a single person who hasn't had it and been keen to get it.
Seems mad not to want it and even madder to reject people because they have.

I hope they see sense.

Thats wonderful BlueBelle!

All of my family has had it bar one who shares these beliefs and wants nothing to do with the rest of the family. Whoever is separating people from their families and friends is very evil indeed because they wont have any support except the echo chamber they find themselves in.

OnwardandUpward Sat 10-Jul-21 20:28:21

So sorry about your friend Galaxy.

I dont know how common this is in UK, but its happened to me and at least 2 other families I personally know. I also read on GN of people its happened to on a previous post.