Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Understanding estrangement

(242 Posts)
Allsorts Tue 13-Jul-21 06:19:40

I have joined this to try to understand the reasons behind my own estrangement, so won’t have a lot to contribute just yet but need to know I’m not alone with this dreadful problem. I have been been estranged a long time, so not looking for reconciliation, too late, just like minded people if that’s ok.

MayBee70 Thu 29-Jul-21 14:11:36

It can happen in the blink of an eye. Thankfully, for me, it did resolve itself but I never dreamt that it could happen to me as I’m never confrontational with my family.

March Thu 29-Jul-21 14:43:15

Therapy isn't for everyone.
It's helped immensely for me though, it's gave me understanding on healthy boundaries, communication and self worth.

I struggled alot with communication and was a people pleaser, couldn't say no and suffered.
As I had little to no relationship with my in laws I was definitely seen as the difficult DIL and my MIL was the devil in my eyes, throw a baby into the mix and it's not good.

We are thankfully back in touch now after alot of talking and we are all on the same page. We communicate alot better and there was blame on both sides, I couldn't see it then.

Smileless2012 Thu 29-Jul-21 14:50:17

OnwardandUpwardflowers it's horrible to feel that you are being judged and even on an online forum like GN, on threads specifically about estrangement, it takes courage to share even just the tip of your experience.

You're spot on about the importance of learning the grieving process. Estrangement is referred too as a living bereavement and I think that acknowledging that we are grieving for what we've lost is very important. Doing so can hopefully enable us to be kinder to ourselves, to realise and understand that this is not something we can just get over. It may be something some will never get over and there's no shame in that.

I can in a way identify with that Sara, despite it being our son's decision to estrange us, I don't want to see him or talk to him anymore, and have felt this way for some time.

I'm not happy with his choice, we lost not just him but our only GC but have found peace (most of the timehmm) and happiness in my life without him.

You couldn't make it up could you Whiff. You moved closer to your son and D and lost your son, our ES and his wife moved closer to us, just 15 doors away, and we lost him.

I agree cornishpatsy that it's important to accept what has happened and move on, whether you're the one who estranged or the one who has been estranged. That said, it's a difficult process and for me, being able to share with others not just what I have and continue to experience in terms of the actual estrangement, but the things we have done to move forward with our lives, has been immensely beneficial to my well being.

Simply knowing that you've shown someone else that they're not alone, that you and others understand their pain and suffering is testament to there being some good that can come from something so awful.

Smileless2012 Thu 29-Jul-21 14:53:21

March and Maybee it's good to hear from those for whom estrangement wasn't permanent and that relationships can be savedsmile.

Sara1954 Thu 29-Jul-21 15:07:33

Smileless
You handle your sadness with such dignity.
I have never seen you write an unkind or reproachful word.
I know you have had time to get used to it, but you are always supportive and calm, I’m sure you have helped a lot of people come to terms with things.

Smileless2012 Thu 29-Jul-21 15:09:46

Thank you Sara, what a lovely thing to saysmile.

OnwardandUpward Thu 29-Jul-21 23:37:02

CafeAuLait

OnwardandUpward

Hang on, Whiff! You mean they aren't talking to you because they wanted you to live closer? I'm assuming that's for babysitting duties etc? So sorry that's how it is, but it's really silly of them to want more and end up with nothing! I think a lot of these kids don't look at the bigger picture and might be quite impulsive (perhaps don't know how to back down after their stupid mistakes?)

People can be strange like that. My MIL did the same. Wanted more and decided if she couldn't have it, then nothing was better.

Oh wow, that's mad!

OnwardandUpward Thu 29-Jul-21 23:49:01

Smileless2012

*OnwardandUpward*flowers it's horrible to feel that you are being judged and even on an online forum like GN, on threads specifically about estrangement, it takes courage to share even just the tip of your experience.

You're spot on about the importance of learning the grieving process. Estrangement is referred too as a living bereavement and I think that acknowledging that we are grieving for what we've lost is very important. Doing so can hopefully enable us to be kinder to ourselves, to realise and understand that this is not something we can just get over. It may be something some will never get over and there's no shame in that.

I can in a way identify with that Sara, despite it being our son's decision to estrange us, I don't want to see him or talk to him anymore, and have felt this way for some time.

I'm not happy with his choice, we lost not just him but our only GC but have found peace (most of the timehmm) and happiness in my life without him.

You couldn't make it up could you Whiff. You moved closer to your son and D and lost your son, our ES and his wife moved closer to us, just 15 doors away, and we lost him.

I agree cornishpatsy that it's important to accept what has happened and move on, whether you're the one who estranged or the one who has been estranged. That said, it's a difficult process and for me, being able to share with others not just what I have and continue to experience in terms of the actual estrangement, but the things we have done to move forward with our lives, has been immensely beneficial to my well being.

Simply knowing that you've shown someone else that they're not alone, that you and others understand their pain and suffering is testament to there being some good that can come from something so awful.

Thanks Smileless. I don't know how you get to the point where you stop wanting to see them, but I'm not there yet. I really miss what could have been, but realistically there's a part of me that accepts things had got really bad (I don't want to explain because it's identifying) I was saying nothing and keeping quiet so I didn't risk losing them- but there came a point where I couldn't keep quiet anymore about the injection and they cut me off. It was not my choice to be estranged and I had put up with a lot of nonsense for a long time just to have them as my family. I don't miss what they put me through but I do miss the good times- and I know I did my best. There wasn't anything more I could have done. Is that how you feel?

I want to believe people can change- and they can, but only if they want to. So here we are back to ourselves again and the only person we can change is ourselves.

I've been thinking lately that it must be a painful thing to be a child who estranges from their parents and that they must see things differently from their parents. Like in the war the French thought they were right, but the Germans thought they were right.

A phrase I've heard a bit lately is "hurt people, hurt people" and I've thought maybe the Estranged get their feelings hurt and then lash out in a hurtful /impulsive way but lack the self awareness to back down or have too much pride ?

Whiff Fri 30-Jul-21 06:37:54

I am the stage where if my son wants to talk to me he will have to come here and face me. And he will have a lot of questions to answer. I will not let him take the cowards way out. Like he did in the first place.

We didn't raise him to be cruel or cowardly. Unfortunately he has become that himself. What a wonderful example to set my 3 grandson's. Have a problem send a vile email and letter. Fill both with lies so you don't feel bad about what you have done. Make your mom to be the the evil doer.

Tell the biggest lie of all by saying you love her . Then call her vindictive and manipulative and you don't want her influence anywhere near you or your family and zero contact .

Well he's got zero contact. Hope he's happy.

When I was at the hospital Monday night and didn't get home until Tuesday afternoon. Sitting in the waiting room with a group of people you are with all that time and all feeling ill. You get to talking. When anybody asks I always say I have 2 children and 5 grandson's. I have never denied I have a son. As we talked it came out what my son had done. I am glad I talked about it. A wonderful young man had been keeping our spirits up and making us laugh. But he told me when he was little his mom stopped speaking to her dad and they had nothing to do with him. She would never say why. But when he was 16 he decided to contact his granddad . He told his mom she wasn't happy but said he was old enough. He said he was glad as he has a relationship with him. And told me my grandson's will one day want to know me. He said it was strange growing up other children had a granddad and he didn't. But his mom would not talk about him.

He told me all this and said don't give up hope. If that happens I have a long wait as my grandson's will be 5 and 3 soon the 2 I know and the youngest has to be 1 now. But patience is something I have lots of. Time will tell.

But I will not live my life waiting incase that happens. I promised my husband to live the best life I can and I do. I have never broken a promise I made him. He is still my husband and always will be. He would be so hurt if he knew what our son had done. But then again he wouldn't have put up with what I have from my son and daughter in law over the years.

Nothing prepares you to be widowed at 45. I have always done the best I could after he died for the children. Always treated then equally like we had always done. But the grief I still feel for my husband over shadows the grief I feel over the lose of my son and grandson's.

As Smiles and the rest of you have helped me . I try and pay that back by helping people on the beveveament forum with my experiences over the last 17 years.

I don't know if it's still the doctors code. But it used to be something like do no harm. I have always lived my life like that. It's easy to be cruel and hurt people. But that is not how I want to be. If it was my husband and me ,then just me wouldn't have put up with all the hurtful and cruel remarks we suffered from his parents and then just his mom after his father's death. All the pain they inflected we never gave up on them and they saw us and the children every week. And helped when they needed it.

My parents where complete the opposite of his parents. He was finally loved and told how proud they where of him. Like my dad when he met my mom he found out what a family was. We gave that to our children. Unconditional love and lots of attention . The things children need. Like my parents told my brother and me everyday we told our children how much we loved them and how proud we where of them.

Only once did I tell my son I was ashamed of him . He must have been about 15 he drunk a whole bottle of vodka and had to go too hospital to have his stomach pumped. This was while his dad had cancer. He had the nerve to blame us for him drinking the vodka. I told him never make me ashamed of you again he promised he wouldn't. He has broken that promise.

None of us know how long we will live so we have to make the most of each day. I have no time for what if's. I live for the now. It's how I face each day without the other half of me. Grief for my husband does not get easier as the years go by but I cope. Other widows will understand that.

As per usual I have rambled on. But talking to you helps. And hope I make sense. Thanks for listening. ?

Smileless2012 Fri 30-Jul-21 09:47:34

Yes absolutely OnwardandUpward, we know we did our best from the moment he was born and for 27 years we had a wonderful relationship. He really was the loveliest son anyone could have wished for.

"hurt people, hurt people" I totally agree with that. Our ES's wife did have a difficult child hood. Her mother and I were friends for sometime before they met, in fact it was she who 'arranged' their first meeting.

Interestingly the things I was falsely accused of, were incidents from her childhood. Such was the strength of her projection that when our ES relayed a particular incident to his brother, and another to Mr. S., he did so as if he had experienced them himselfshock.

He's never spoken directly to me about them, so perhaps he knows somewhere deep inside that he could never look the mother who adored him in the eye and lie.

I think a lack of self awareness and too much pride are factors when it comes to our son. I wonder if the former was present when he emailed me following the death of my mum, and has emailed his dad now his mum has died.

Was there a moment before hitting the 'send' button that he thought perhaps it wasn't appropriate, that 7.5 years and now 8.5 years after telling us we were no longer a part of his life and were to stay away? Did he think that we may not want to hear from him or was he more concerned with 'doing the right thing' and possibly easing his own conscience?

So much of what you post resonates with me Whiff, especially your first paragraph. The young man you met at the hospital sounds lovely and of course he's right. We have no way of knowing what decisions our GC will make when they're old enough.

TBH I really don't think I'd want to one day have one, or possibly two handsome young men turn up on our door step, perhaps looking like their dad, that for me would be very painful but of course I wouldn't turn them away.

CafeAuLait Fri 30-Jul-21 10:23:07

It's really hard to know what to do when it comes to death and estranged relatives. When my BIL died I wasn't sure what was appropriate. My DH called my MIL and she told him to come to the funeral. We did but I think it was a big mistake and actually not appropriate. I wouldn't do that again.

Smileless2012 Fri 30-Jul-21 11:10:08

It is hard CafeAuLait. Apparently our ES had seen his GM a few times but not for the last 2 years. We weren't aware of this as Mr. S. had asked her not tell him if she'd seen our ES and GC as it was too hurtful.

Losing a GM is painful of course, but losing your mum even at the age of 92 is heart breaking and I just hope that our ES will put his father's feelings above his own.

Armadillo Fri 30-Jul-21 11:32:25

For me estranging was very hard because I wanted to have a good mum and I knew what good mums were supposed to be like. I think that I thought I needed to change for her to be a good mum and I didn't get that she was the problem not me. She kept telling me I was not good enough too. In the end I just couldn't do it any more and I've been happier since. I think if I had just estranged for no reason my boys would be curious but they don't like her either so she isn't going to get any contact from them. It wouldn't be positive anyway as if they heard from her they would just tell her off. I wish i could say that my mum knew she was in the wrong and would work on it but she seems to pretend that she was a good mum and I think she has made herself believe it somehow. It seems strange to say that she could be abusive and not know but I think she doesn't. I think that a lot of people have negative aspects in their personalityvut they always think they are right and can't see it about themselves and my mum is a bit more extreme. That's why I keep doing counselling really as if I am left alone I start thinking I am the problem again and get down in myself. People say you don't have to have a relationship with anyone so why I would feel guilty for estranging when my mum has been abusive seems unfair. Guilt usually stops you doing things though but mine doesn't at all. I feel bad but I know I am happier without her and thsst is better for my family so it was the right thing and being guilty is easer than the way she made me feel.

Sara1954 Fri 30-Jul-21 13:48:19

Armadillo
My experiences are very similar to yours.
My mother could be cruel and spiteful. At best cold and critical.
I know I’ve done things wrong, and I know I haven’t always been easy, but I do know that I tried and tried to make up for it over many years, even putting them before my husband and children at times.
But without going into too much detail, I started to realise that not everything could be my fault, I wasn’t responsible for their miserable lives, I loved my dad, but once he died, it got harder, until something happened which just made me snap.
That’s twenty years ago and I haven’t spoken to her since, nor shall I.
The feeling of freedom from her is wonderful.

Smileless2012 Fri 30-Jul-21 13:57:14

We all do things wrong Sara but that doesn't justify cruel, spiteful, cold and critical treatment.

I'm glad that you finally managed to make the break but sorry that you had tooflowers.

Sara1954 Fri 30-Jul-21 14:06:06

Smileless
She had her problems, I just gradually realised that they weren’t my fault.
I don’t really blame her, it’s just that I no longer blame myself either.

Smileless2012 Fri 30-Jul-21 14:42:46

"I don't really blame her, it's just that I no longer blame myself"
so much for your mum to have been proud of Sara; I'm so sorry that her problems prevented her from knowing that.

Chewbacca Fri 30-Jul-21 14:46:46

Sara1954 It's uncanny how much your history matches my own. And, like you, I made the same decision and never looked back. No recriminations, no harking back with self doubt; just moved on.

Sara1954 Fri 30-Jul-21 15:08:27

Chewbacca
Same here, no going back.

Armadillo Fri 30-Jul-21 15:17:34

That was really helpful. I don't want her to suffer or anything. I used to wish she would just wake up and realise but I think she can't as her whole life would fall apart. I really think she has changed the whole of reality which is what she always says I do.

Hilltop Fri 30-Jul-21 17:19:35

I am puzzled (that is not quite the correct word) when l read, Smileless, that your AS has contact with your ES. How does your AS feel about what your ES has done to you? I believe my situation is similar to yours and Whiffs and your posts have helped me a lot. My son estranged me about two years ago and my other child is very upset with the things he accused us of, knowing they were untrue and will not now have anything to do with him. This was not my doing. How is the relationship between your sons.

Scentia Fri 30-Jul-21 19:08:55

The feeling of freedom from her is wonderful.
This line really resonated with me. I had wanted to make a break from my parents for 30 years but dare not, I was scared of my dad. Once I made that decision to do it 8 years ago I have never looked back, the feeling of freedom from them is indeed wonderful.

I am sorry if you are a parent and your AC have done this to you but everyone sees situations in a different way and you may just not see things as they do. My parents thought it would be ok to allow me to be sexually abused by a family member and make me keep it quiet for years, telling the wife of this man 8 years ago has changed my life. Unfortunately it had also changed my ‘parents’ lives too?

Sara1954 Fri 30-Jul-21 19:11:56

Scentia
I know exactly how you feel, I just felt so liberated, I hadn’t planned it, but once the words were out of my mouth, I knew I would never take them back.

Madgran77 Sat 31-Jul-21 05:54:08

My parents thought it would be ok to allow me to be sexually abused by a family member and make me keep it quiet for years, telling the wife of this man 8 years ago has changed my life

I doubt any good parent estranged or not would question why you estranged from your parents in those circumstances Scentia flowers

Every case of estrangement is different and has different circumstances and the reasons for it happening are so varied. Yes estrangement will change the lives of all those involved in an estrangement but the causes for the decision to be taken are so different from one case to another.

Whiff Sat 31-Jul-21 07:58:01

All those who had the courage to break away from your parents it's what you needed to do . Having bad parents must be awful. My father had a bad dad and step mother he took the beatings to spare his brother and half siblings but he never called it abuse but they didn't spare the rod.

My husband's parents never physically hurt him . But never loved him or told him they where proud of him. He always said he loved them because they where his parents but didn't like them. He had an awful life with them and found a real family with me and mine. He was finally told he was loved and very proud of him. My parents loved him as a son. My extended family loved him . He could wrap my nan round his little finger.

Didn't matter how badly they treated him and me or my family he would not give up on them. Our life would have been so much easier if he had . But they didn't neglect him or abuse him as you have had to put up with.

They said hurtful things but didn't tell lies about him or turn the rest of his side of the family against him as some of you are suffering.

I have only hated 2 people in my life that was my in laws . His mother got worse after his dad died . When my husband was dieing he made me promise to look after his mom . Which I did even when she denied she had a son or grandchildren because I promised him. He made her promise something but she didn't kept it. Which I knew she wouldn't. But my darling thought she would . He still wanted her to be his mom even though she didn't want him. The only good thing she ever did was have him. Why is it the evil people in this world live a long time and the good die young. She was 91 and my darling 47 when they died.

If I was religious I would like to think she and my father in law where burning in hell. But I am an atheist.

Those of you who have suffered at the hands of your parents I am sorry. But you need to protect yourself and your loved ones. And breaking away must have been very hard for you but very brave.

Armadillo I know how hard it's been for you. But you and your family come first. You tried with your mom. That chapter of your life is closed. Look to the future. Have no regrets you have done the right thing. You have your whole life ahead of you live it to the full.

You and the others deserved parents that loved and cared for you as parents should. It's not fair you didn't.