Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Do you send gifts to GC when estranged

(255 Posts)
Sheian62 Sun 10-Oct-21 08:27:03

Hi, We would like to give a money gift/card to our upcoming GD birthdays however we have been estranged from our son and his partner and our 2 young grandchildren for the past 3 months. The youngest will be 1, the oldest 5. There were 2 reasons for estrangement:
1. I showed photographs to my 4 year old GD of her new cousin 3 months old. My son disapproved as he is estranged from our daughter following exchanges between them of nasty cruel texts. They have been estranged 6 years. He wants us to back him and have nothing to do with our daughter. I told him I have 3 children and 3 GC and love them all and am going to make sure they are all aware of the other when asked in my house. Son doesn’t like that.
2. Son and partner had arranged a night out. We were due to babysit offering to have children from 4 on Saturday and return them around 10:00 on Sunday. We were accused of depriving them of a lie-in!
Upto point of estrangement we have supported them by having our eldest GD one day per week for 4 1/2 years, babysat in their house, had GC at ours overnight, helped them financially to £thousands, taken them on holidays your expense.

I was hoping that things would have calmed by now. We have been excluded from FB and deprived of communicating with our GDs which is upsetting, particularly as eldest started school recently.

Would you buy gifts or try and send money or any advice going forward would be appreciated. X

Whiff Mon 08-Jan-24 07:08:02

Nicola this thread started in 2021 better to start a new thread as last post before yours was January 2022.

Mamasperspective Wed 10-Jan-24 14:30:34

Put money in an account that can be kept there in case they ever get in contact. Otherwise leave it alone. If your son doesn't want pictures of HIS child sharing then it's not your place to do so against his wishes. He is allowed boundaries for his own child and it's wrong to try to overrule his parenting decisions.

JCK1943 Thu 11-Jan-24 03:13:54

I agree with you @freedom from the past

Allsorts Tue 16-Jan-24 15:42:25

We are all very different people after a long estrangement, I think we imagine things will go back to happy days if we were to get together but quite honestly it wouldn’t. Although I sent cards and presents to my grandchild in retrospect I wouldn’t, she has a life with people I know nothing about and a lifestyle I haven’t, the gap now is too big.