Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Do you send gifts to GC when estranged

(255 Posts)
Sheian62 Sun 10-Oct-21 08:27:03

Hi, We would like to give a money gift/card to our upcoming GD birthdays however we have been estranged from our son and his partner and our 2 young grandchildren for the past 3 months. The youngest will be 1, the oldest 5. There were 2 reasons for estrangement:
1. I showed photographs to my 4 year old GD of her new cousin 3 months old. My son disapproved as he is estranged from our daughter following exchanges between them of nasty cruel texts. They have been estranged 6 years. He wants us to back him and have nothing to do with our daughter. I told him I have 3 children and 3 GC and love them all and am going to make sure they are all aware of the other when asked in my house. Son doesn’t like that.
2. Son and partner had arranged a night out. We were due to babysit offering to have children from 4 on Saturday and return them around 10:00 on Sunday. We were accused of depriving them of a lie-in!
Upto point of estrangement we have supported them by having our eldest GD one day per week for 4 1/2 years, babysat in their house, had GC at ours overnight, helped them financially to £thousands, taken them on holidays your expense.

I was hoping that things would have calmed by now. We have been excluded from FB and deprived of communicating with our GDs which is upsetting, particularly as eldest started school recently.

Would you buy gifts or try and send money or any advice going forward would be appreciated. X

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 12-Oct-21 14:29:06

Why am I not surprised about that last statement.

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Oct-21 14:32:15

No Bibbity I don't see anything ridiculous in my comment but find your's about "most religions" cutting ties with children because they believe differently to their parents, rather ridiculous.

Also, your understanding of the Christian baptism of infants is flawed. It has nothing to do with the child's faith being chosen for them. Whether or not that child follows the Christian faith in adulthood is their choice.

The promises made by the parents and God parents are their pledges to God and do not include indoctrinating that child into the Christian faith. God wants us to love him freely which is why he gave us free will.

Your comment about your m.i.l. wanting a "show and dance" and to dress children up like dolls in "her" dress to be played with, further illustrates your total lack of understanding.

As GSM has posted "do you have to be so nasty about that?"

I agree Hithere that we all have the right to find what works for us but still don't understand what you meant by teaching atheism. Surely that is teaching that God or gods don't exist?

Hithere Tue 12-Oct-21 14:35:03

Atheism is as valid as being Christian, Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, Pagan, etc.

Bibbity Tue 12-Oct-21 14:40:12

And you don't see the contradiction in that. You promising a child to a religion. Which comes with registration is wrong imo. The child can choose to do so when an adult.
But I vehemently disagree with it happening to babies.

Again Smileless. I know my MiL better. It was a performance. It was about the dress and guest list.
I know friends who have said they aren't religious just wanted a nice day.
I know people who've done it to get their kids into a specific school.

It does happen.

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Oct-21 14:40:56

Going to church is not a measure of one's faith Bibbity and I doubt your m.i.l. would ever feel comfortable discussing her's with you.

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Oct-21 14:42:49

I didn't say it isn't valid Hithere so please don't put words into my mouth.

Yes it does happen Bibbity but it isn't a good idea to tar everyone with the same brush.

halfpint1 Tue 12-Oct-21 14:45:41

Celebrating the milestones in a child's life is a loving family tradition that's been going on for centuries. To deny your child the rest of it's family is an emotional crime. As you grow yourself in life you can see the effects of control and they are often regrettable

Hithere Tue 12-Oct-21 14:47:50

Lol emotional crime!

Bibbity Tue 12-Oct-21 14:49:32

Except I'm not tarring anyone Smileless. I am not clutching my pearls at the idea others raise their children differently.

She is free to believe what she wants. Worship how she wants. It doesn't bother me at all.
What she can't do is be stroppy when I chose differently for my child.

Halfpint1 we have celebrated every milestone in my childrens lives. From smiles to words to first steps and first days of school so I'm unsure what you think they are missing out on?

My children are also surrounded by family. One person who brought us nothing but misery no longer has a place in our lives. And we're all happier for it.

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Oct-21 14:56:32

But is she free to worship how she wants Bibbity when you've posted that it's just for show and she never sets foot in a church apart from christenings, weddings and funerals?

You appear to be judging her for not worshipping as you think she should.

Bibbity Tue 12-Oct-21 15:00:55

She can do whatever she wants whenever she wants I honestly could not care less about her. I was just pointing out that she was never going to get what she wanted with regards to my child and that dress.

I am not judging her for that. I judge her for a lot. But not that.

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Oct-21 15:03:46

You keep referring to your child Bibbity, presumably your H agreed with you as s/he's his child too.

Bibbity Tue 12-Oct-21 15:07:39

He said he'd like a christening for a party. I replied that that went against what I believe in. So he wanted a naming ceremony and I said that that sounds lovely and we'll do that but he can organise it.

Not it be pessimistic but DS is 7 and there's been no date set....so I don't think that's going ahead ?

Norah Tue 12-Oct-21 15:27:55

Actually, leaving a partner to plan and organize events is brilliant (especially regarding partners family). Complaints can be overcome "your childs plan" smile

halfpint1 Tue 12-Oct-21 16:37:27

Bibbity I did not attach your name to my statement , stop attacking

Bibbity Tue 12-Oct-21 16:41:47

Calm down dear only a bit of confusion.

VioletSky Tue 12-Oct-21 17:25:33

A long time ago I was told that it was my place to facilitate relationships between my husband and his family.

I said no, it isn't, it's my place to support my husband in his own decisions.

He doesn't want to see his mother or father for different reasons, we have a great relationship with other family members but the ones who try to tell us our place we keep at arms length.

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Oct-21 17:53:24

A naming ceremony sounds like a good idea if you don't want a religious Christening Bibbity and I think you're right about it probably not going ahead.

lemsip Tue 12-Oct-21 18:04:30

what has this turned into ?

Chewbacca Tue 12-Oct-21 19:30:38

Usual suspects lemsip

Madgran77 Tue 12-Oct-21 19:58:57

Indeed!

Sallywally1 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:56:36

We sent thoughtful, beautifully wrapt presents for six years. Then just before Christmas last year I received a nasty text from daughters OH telling us not to send any more as they caused upset and in any case were either binned or ‘re gifted’.

Very hurtful

Won’t be sending anymore. Will continue to send cards to GS and will set up a savings account for when they are 18 with the money we would have spent on presents.

VioletSky Thu 14-Oct-21 18:01:09

Sallywally was there more to that text?

I'm just trying to understand why it is "nasty" for someone to say what you are doing is causing upset?

Smileless2012 Thu 14-Oct-21 19:04:44

There was no need to say that gifts you've sent have been binned or re gifted Sallywallyangry. That's just being cruel for cruelties sake.

All that was needed was to say the gifts aren't wanted and for you not to send anymore. There are ways of putting across how one feels without being nasty.

Savings accounts and sending cards are a good idea. You are those children's GM and whether your s.i.l. likes it or not, that will never changeflowers.

CafeAuLait Thu 14-Oct-21 22:14:50

I always wondered if my MIL would try to make contact with my children when they turned 18. She didn't. The eldest said that if contact was made, they would tell MIL thanks but no thanks and why.