Gransnet forums

Estrangement

EAC: Father died

(29 Posts)
Shelbel Fri 31-Dec-21 08:14:12

My father died in December. I was not told by the Twisted Sisters like they had said they would. To be honest I knew they wouldn't. My son told me. I wasn't asked about flowers or any arrangements etc, but I expected that too. I didn't go to the funeral and couldn't travel anyway because of Covid. (I live in EU). I did send a condolences card to my Estranged mother. I thought I should but now I question if that was worth bothering with.

Aside from that are my feelings. I haven't cried or had strong feelings about it. I'm just sad that he couldn't have been a better father, had been honest or actually apologised. There's no chance of any resolution now and that's hard to live with. I have the same to go through when Estranged mother dies.

VioletSky Fri 31-Dec-21 08:43:58

I am so sorry for your loss.

It's not the loss that those with good parents feel but it is OK to grieve what you didn't have growing up.

It is OK to grieve your sisters leaving you in the dark to punish you for simply not accepting abuse.

I'm sorry they put you through this and that they haven't taken the time to reflect on why you cut ties or made any effort to be accountable.

It was wrong of them to withhold that news and break their word.

I hope you are OK.

Shelbel Fri 31-Dec-21 08:53:29

Thank you Violetsky, that's kind of you x

love0c Fri 31-Dec-21 09:01:59

So sorry Shelbel. Hang on in there. It will get so much easier. This is so similar to what happened with my mother. Death means no hope left. However, you will find this will become less and less uppermost in your mind. Take a day at a time and be kind to yourself. All these confusing feelings are so normal. But, please believe me these will pass! smile flowers

MercuryQueen Fri 31-Dec-21 09:02:05

I think that when you’re estranged from parents, you’ve already been grieving for a long time before they pass.

I wish you strength and healing.

silverlining48 Fri 31-Dec-21 09:09:28

Hello Shelbel, I hope your son is supporting you and you have friends who care,
Most Parents love and protect their children but sadly some don’t. I do Understand and send you good wishes. flowers

Smileless2012 Fri 31-Dec-21 09:19:52

I'm sorry for the loss of your father Shelbel, despite being estranged I can understand why there's some sadness there.

You did what you thought was right by sending your estranged mother a condolence card and can do no moreflowers.

Shelbel Fri 31-Dec-21 09:58:36

Thanks everyone for your kind messages.

mumofmadboys Fri 31-Dec-21 10:14:04

In time Shelbel you may be able to be thankful for the good things/ memories of your Dad and forgive him the bad bits. I am sure your head is all of a jumble at the moment but time will help you see things more clearly. x

VioletSky Fri 31-Dec-21 10:24:12

No, remembering the good and forgiving the bad has never been necessary to healing from abuse and often can be counterproductive.

Smileless2012 Fri 31-Dec-21 10:29:47

For some that can certainly help the healing process mumofmadboys.

Nana56 Fri 31-Dec-21 14:20:10

I'm so sorry for your loss and totally understand your feelings.
My mother died in January, we were estranged for years.
I did get to see her before she died. It was odd. I felt sad for a death but had no strong feelings about it being my mother.
I feel guilty for not grieving but I think I did that many years ago.
I hope you get through this difficult time. Xx

Smileless2012 Fri 31-Dec-21 14:22:03

Nanaflowers.

Hithere Fri 31-Dec-21 15:33:16

So sorry for your loss

Society tells us we are supposed to act a certain way when our parents die or something happens to them but estrangement is a game changer.

I agree with mercuryqueen - you may have grieved him a long time ago.

Allsorts Fri 31-Dec-21 16:15:53

Shelbel, sorry fhe the loss of your father and estrangement from your mother and sisters, but especially for the love and nurturing you should have had. I think you were right sending the card.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 31-Dec-21 16:57:03

We felt bereaved a long time before our parents actually died. We did all we could while they were alive, and it obviously wasn’t good enough.

Don’t feel bad. It is what it is. You can’t do anymore than that ?

Madgran77 Fri 31-Dec-21 17:17:37

Shelbel The acceptance of there being no chance of resolution with your father is very hard. And you know you face the same with your Mother, making it even harder. There is no one answer right for all whilst going through this but do be kind and understanding to yourself You are grieving for what you didn't have, for what you hoped you would have, for that small hope of resolution with your father that will now never be.

Don't question yourself over the card. You sent it, what your mother thinks/makes of that is for her to deal with you. Try not to focus on your sisters not doing what they said they would. Try to focus on yourself, your needs and moving forward without and despite of people who have caused you harm.

For some, thinking about small glimmers of "good bits" can help, for others who have suffered an awful lot of "bad bits" it doesn't help at all, especially if bad always followed any "good"! Just do what you need to do and look after yourself flowers

VioletSky Fri 31-Dec-21 17:26:39

That was lovely Madgran

HolySox Fri 31-Dec-21 17:43:46

Sorry to hear of your loss Shelbel. I went to my estranged mother's funeral. Meeting the rest of the family again reminded me why I am estranged and continued to be! Sounds like not being able to go to your Father's funeral may well be a blessing, particularly as you refer to your "Twisted Sisters".
Always good to forgive, if only in the sense to forget and move on.

Seasidelass Fri 31-Dec-21 17:58:04

My sincere condolences Shelbel.

Your earlier post has confused me VioletSky. Why have you assumed that Shelbel was abused there are other reasons for estrangement and it would be unfortunate you having mentioned abuse, if this was not the case.

VioletSky Fri 31-Dec-21 19:01:04

I haven't assumed anything seasidelass

I have read comments made by Shelbel previously that said she has suffered emotional and physical abuse and I remembered. I also remember her mentioning that her father was unwell and her sisters had promised to let her know.

Seasidelass Fri 31-Dec-21 21:30:25

I still think it odd that you should mention here something that the original poster had disclosed elsewhere, but not on this particular thread VioletSky.

Perhaps she hadn't wanted it mentioning here.

VioletSky Fri 31-Dec-21 21:33:26

OK seasidelass

Deedaa Fri 31-Dec-21 21:38:26

Years ago I read a book by a lady who ran holidays for children. She said she found the ones from unhappy homes seemed to be the most homesick. She thought they made up a picture of a happy home when they were away from it. I wonder if the same happens if you are estranged from your adult family. Perhaps you get a feeling that all problems could have been solved so you feel you should do something.

freedomfromthepast Fri 31-Dec-21 22:13:13

Shelbel, I am so sorry for your loss. And yes, it is still a loss even when you are estranged. I had no idea what it would be like when something happened to my mom. I am more aware now as she almost died last week. The range of emotions and thoughts is exhausting.