Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Mum and Dad relationship

(236 Posts)
lcr123 Thu 14-Jul-22 06:16:28

Hello,

Currently in a very bad place with my parents over the last 14-15 months.

It began last year when my 7 year old son said he was worried in case he forgot a pencil that my mum and dad had given him (as silly as this sounds).

My wife and I have experienced similar things with them over the years - if things aren’t given back to them they create a very uneasy atmosphere.

I was raging - how dare they make a 7 year old feel this way.

I immediately drafted out a text to them - we aren’t the type of family to discuss things face to face as my dad can get quite confrontational though no physical abuse.

My wife made the text less angry and it was sent. No reply all day. My dad dropped my son off at night and ignored the issue completely. He turned to walk off to go home and I said “hang on, are we not going to talk about this?” and he turned around to blame it all on my anxiety.

I couldn’t believe it. He was getting away with this again!

So I got mad and told him how he did this to people all the time, made people on edge for years, made people anxious etc.

Fast forward a year, he still hasn’t spoken to me, ignores me at every opportunity (along with my wife), ignores the fact that my brother agreed with everything I said about him (still sees him and was going to take my son to see him), ignores the fact my brother bullied me when I was younger (he would stand me up in corner of a room and force me to say words I couldn’t say. He then avoided mr for the next 20 years), and I have had to cut contact with them both.

There is a whole history behind this but I won’t detail it here.

Hope someone can be compassionate with me!

They also have form for this as my two uncles also cut contact to the point my mum wasn’t told when my uncle died about funeral etc.

My brother gets on with them (despite agreeing with my points!) but he doesn’t have a wife or child and lives 25 miles away so only sees them for an hour or two every few weeks. He also keeps them at arms length.

That’s my story!

Normandygirl Wed 03-Aug-22 08:14:46

VioletSky

*I had open heart surgery*

This is a fact, we wouldn't go to someone's thread about the open heart surgery and say "well it's my opinion your heart was fine and you didn't need surgery, also... can you prove it by showing us the scar?"

The OP said their childhood was abusive and they were advised to go no contact.

Which part of your opinion matters more than that exactly?

What is so special and important about you that you can say, well, in my opinion you haven't suffered abuse because you haven't shown me the scars.

And what exactly are you going to do or say if the OP does come back and show them to you?

If the OP comes back and tells you all the painful stories they still need professional help to deal with a.d hirts themselves by doing it?

How many painful stories would be enough?

Or can we just accept "I was abused" because that is a statement of fact.?

Sometimes people come and ask for advice and it's not that simple, because clearly there is a compromise to be had or their thinking needs help, or they may make their situation worse or end up regretting a specific action.

But when they say "I have been abused" how does anyone possibly think that their opinion matters more than anothers feelings?

I truly don't understand it and why people do it on these threads

I really don't understand your post, the OP doesn't claim to have been abused by his parents. In fact his OP is outlining his annoyance at his parents for not speaking to him because of his behaviour towards his father.
The abuse he claims was at the hands of his brother when they were small, and everyone has accepted "that as a statement of fact", I have not seen any posts saying otherwise.

eazybee Wed 03-Aug-22 09:43:11

The Grandfather is abusive, that is clear .Norah Tue 02-Aug-22 15:02:33

Or can we just accept "I was abused" because that is a statement of fact? (Violet Sky)

Neither of these statements can be accepted as facts because they are not verifiable on this forum. They are statements of belief and are made by and about people of whom we have no personal knowledge, and are influenced by posters' personal experience, not impartial observation.

Should this grandfather read the accusations levelled at him by people with no knowledge of the family circumstances he would possibly have grounds for legal action, as was discussed in a recent post concerning other matters.

VioletSky Wed 03-Aug-22 10:29:33

You haven't read the whole thread.

This is why we need the support thread

icanhandthemback Wed 03-Aug-22 13:56:18

Should this grandfather read the accusations levelled at him by people with no knowledge of the family circumstances he would possibly have grounds for legal action, as was discussed in a recent post concerning other matters.

That is the same with every post on here.
It is also unlikely that the grandfather will read it because the poster is anonymous and he hasn't actually named the grandfather or given any identifying information.
Finally, it is unlikely the grandfather would even recognise that his behaviour is abusive as abusers don't appear to be that self aware!

VioletSky Wed 03-Aug-22 13:59:23

Definitely Icanhandthemback

Everyone is telling theor stories here

Also isn't it legally only slander if you aren't telling the truth?

Smileless2012 Wed 03-Aug-22 17:28:24

Re. your post today @ 8.14 Normandygirl that is certainly how the OP and his subsequent posts came across to me.

There appear to be a lot of issues going back to childhood that have found there way into adulthood, that are yet to be resolved.

DiamondLily Thu 04-Aug-22 07:45:44

Yes, not sure children fighting could be called parental abuse, and the OP doesn't say he was abused by his parents anyway.

Siblings fight - my two couldn't share a room without a dust up for years.?. Now they get on just fine. The OP still seems to have a problem with his sibling though.

The OP on here has long gone, so it's all speculation anyway.

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Aug-22 09:19:33

I remember out boys going through that stage DL. They'd get up in the morning, their eyes would meet as they came out of their bedrooms and then they were off.

What they found to fall out about when they hadn't seen one another all night was beyond me.

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Aug-22 09:19:46

our not out

DiamondLily Thu 04-Aug-22 09:30:38

Smileless2012

I remember out boys going through that stage DL. They'd get up in the morning, their eyes would meet as they came out of their bedrooms and then they were off.

What they found to fall out about when they hadn't seen one another all night was beyond me.

It used to make me laugh - my daughter was very petite (still is), and my son was tall and stocky, he played rugby for his school.

Yet, she was the protagonist - first one in there, fists flying.?

He still eyes her warily, if she starts lol