Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Mum and Dad relationship

(236 Posts)
lcr123 Thu 14-Jul-22 06:16:28

Hello,

Currently in a very bad place with my parents over the last 14-15 months.

It began last year when my 7 year old son said he was worried in case he forgot a pencil that my mum and dad had given him (as silly as this sounds).

My wife and I have experienced similar things with them over the years - if things aren’t given back to them they create a very uneasy atmosphere.

I was raging - how dare they make a 7 year old feel this way.

I immediately drafted out a text to them - we aren’t the type of family to discuss things face to face as my dad can get quite confrontational though no physical abuse.

My wife made the text less angry and it was sent. No reply all day. My dad dropped my son off at night and ignored the issue completely. He turned to walk off to go home and I said “hang on, are we not going to talk about this?” and he turned around to blame it all on my anxiety.

I couldn’t believe it. He was getting away with this again!

So I got mad and told him how he did this to people all the time, made people on edge for years, made people anxious etc.

Fast forward a year, he still hasn’t spoken to me, ignores me at every opportunity (along with my wife), ignores the fact that my brother agreed with everything I said about him (still sees him and was going to take my son to see him), ignores the fact my brother bullied me when I was younger (he would stand me up in corner of a room and force me to say words I couldn’t say. He then avoided mr for the next 20 years), and I have had to cut contact with them both.

There is a whole history behind this but I won’t detail it here.

Hope someone can be compassionate with me!

They also have form for this as my two uncles also cut contact to the point my mum wasn’t told when my uncle died about funeral etc.

My brother gets on with them (despite agreeing with my points!) but he doesn’t have a wife or child and lives 25 miles away so only sees them for an hour or two every few weeks. He also keeps them at arms length.

That’s my story!

Norah Tue 02-Aug-22 15:36:49

DiamondLily, I disagree with you. The lad was being made anxious and nervous over a pencil because the GP was causing mental abuse. Nothing I'd want for my child. I'd estranged to the GP.

DiamondLily Tue 02-Aug-22 15:29:44

The OP seemed to be the one causing the stress, with still fretting about childhood fights with his brother. Siblings fight. All normal.

Nothing that suggests abuse by GP..

Unless the OP gets a grip of his anxiety, I shouldn't think GS life will ever be calm.

But, there could be a huge backstory, and the OP hasn't been on for weeks, so it's all hypothetical.?

All seemed a bit of a storm in a teacup over a pencil.

Norah Tue 02-Aug-22 15:02:33

The Grandfather is abusive, that is clear. Estranging is for the best interest of the child. GP made GS anxious, nervous and now life will be calm for GS.

Smileless2012 Tue 02-Aug-22 14:28:02

I agree eazybee there's a lot more to this IMO.

eazybee Tue 02-Aug-22 14:06:01

I have read all the posts.
Very dangerous to label the grandfather as an abuser.

icanhandthemback Tue 02-Aug-22 12:01:23

Allsorts

I fail to see how original poster was abused based on what he said. It was a massive over reaction to something trivial that he wanted an alology for.! But wasn't going to get. If I was the father I would be worried myself about contact if your labelled an abuser when you don't want confrontation in front if a child. It's hard dealing with peope who read something into nothing and are super sensitive. Very wearing.

You don't think that someone continually undermining your wife, phoning their parents to complain about them and making your child overly anxious as abusive behaviour when you have asked them to stop? He may be super sensitive about other things but the above is surely sufficient to say, enough is enough. If people don't respect your boundaries then you have the right to remove yourself no matter what the relationship.

VioletSky Tue 02-Aug-22 08:18:11

I'm not sure you have read the whole post Allsorts or understood the dynamic being described here.

Its not OK

Allsorts Tue 02-Aug-22 07:02:55

I fail to see how original poster was abused based on what he said. It was a massive over reaction to something trivial that he wanted an alology for.! But wasn't going to get. If I was the father I would be worried myself about contact if your labelled an abuser when you don't want confrontation in front if a child. It's hard dealing with peope who read something into nothing and are super sensitive. Very wearing.

VioletSky Mon 01-Aug-22 11:31:48

I think Norah has the right advice here

Norah Sun 31-Jul-22 13:05:44

1cr, People who abuse children should not be allowed in the children's lives, that relationship is not in the child's best interest. Please estrange yourself and family from your parents, they won't change their abusive ways. Stay on with therapy.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Jul-22 19:27:20

[wink

VioletSky Sun 17-Jul-22 19:22:48

No worries

Smileless2012 Sun 17-Jul-22 19:10:06

Yes I know one of my posts was deleted and apologised to the OP for upsetting him.

VioletSky Sun 17-Jul-22 18:58:07

Just reading back through this thread and noticed one of your comments has gone from page 3 Smileless for breaking guidelines.

I didn't report it or I would have said so but as gransnet doesn't let us know these days I thought you would want to know

DiamondLily Sun 17-Jul-22 04:37:19

Yes, I fully agree with this. My maternal Nan, who also thought my mother was a nightmare, was the main support and guiding light in my life.

She'd had an extremely difficult life growing up in Eastend London, especially during the war, as she'd been widowed when my grandad was killed by the last German rocket to hit the East end of London. She was left with nothing other than two young children and a 4 day old baby.

As a toddler, she'd also spent 3 years in a workhouse orphanage after her mother died, until her father remarried.

She taught me to deal with adversity, to face up to things and get on with it, which has come in handy at times.

An original East End matriarch - known as a "character" lol

But, she loved me, I loved her and we had a fantastic relationship, as I did with my Dad as well.

Unless something reminds me, my mother has sort of faded into obscurity in my mind.

My memories of childhood are generally happy ones, and I've long put any sad memories away.

Nothing's perfect in life. ?

Sara1954 Sat 16-Jul-22 18:54:43

Oh, that’s nice

Chewbacca Sat 16-Jul-22 18:03:57

That's right Sara1954; and it's those little acts of kindness that I prefer to dwell on; not the negativity; that I can do nothing to undo and would only be perpetuating the damage by not having moved on. I have often read your posts and have recognised and identified so many facets that you've revealed. If I had a sister, I'd wonder if she were you!

Sara1954 Sat 16-Jul-22 17:38:24

and oddly, good things come out of it.
I still remember incidents where neighbors were kind to me. One in particular stopped my parents finding something out which would have landed me in a heap of trouble.
A kind headmaster who took things into his own hands.
Parents of friends who helped me through various things.
I think I’m also fortunate, that from knowing my husband since we were teenagers, he knows very well what my mother was like. Things I thought were normal, he says were very much not normal.
I quite often think of the kindness of those women, much more than I think of the unkindness of my mother.

Chewbacca Sat 16-Jul-22 17:36:03

That's a lovely post Smileless2012, very positive and inclusive. I too believe that, whilst we can all learn from our pasts and recognise that our histories are what shaped us; it doesn't have to define us; it doesn't have to make us who are are, it is possible for it to be only a component of us, not the totality.

DiamondLily said it best: The best revenge is to live a happy and fulfilled life. flowers

VioletSky Sat 16-Jul-22 17:33:55

I agree Smileless

No judgement on the individual process or journey...

When I look at myself now compared to then, everything I have achieved... I would never have thought it possible.

I am so much stronger and more resilient and I owe a lot to gransnet and estrangement for that.

It's good to heal at our own pace and for others to see it is possible

Smileless2012 Sat 16-Jul-22 17:24:40

For me, when I talk about letting go and moving on, I'm not doing so from a 'brush it under the carpet and pretend it never happened' stand point.

I've learned that in order to have any quality of life, any chance of peace and happiness, that doing one's best to let go and move on is the only way.

When I first joined GN the one thread about estrangement was new and it's great to see that this once hidden subject is openly discussed, and for sometime now has been worthy of its own forum.

I think it's both helpful and positive to hear from those who are still prepared to share what it was like for them 'then' and what it's like for them now. Knowing that others have managed to some extent let go and move on can give hope and reassurance to others.

Smileless2012 Sat 16-Jul-22 16:46:40

It's good to read your posts Sara and DiamondLilysmile.

There are some similarities and differences about the ways you have successfully negotiated the difficulties you've faced, but what you've both managed to do, is enable your children to have a relationship with their GP, despite not wanting one yourself.

After so many years posting on this subject, it's not the first time I've seen how some have made this possible, and I always think how fortunate your EP's are that they still had their GC in their lives.

For many, the more we talk and share about estrangement, the more we learn not just from our own experiences, but from the experience of others. It can help us to better understand, try not to judge and support one another on what can seem like an never ending road to healing.

VioletSky Sat 16-Jul-22 16:40:07

For me, it is important to really be sure I have healed.

Personal growth is ongoing.

I accept everything that happened to me as a child. I accept my part in estrangement and the things I could have handled differently or better. I accept what cannot be changed.

What I don't accept is the rhetoric that people should "just move on".

That is exactly how these abuse cycles continue, when people accept they were abused but cannot see how that abuse has shaped them.

It is a healing journey, not a marathon and certainty not a sprint.

Wherever anyone is on that journey, whether they are only starting to take steps or finally seeing some sort of destination, I will cheer them on.

Always.

Sara1954 Sat 16-Jul-22 16:14:55

DiamondLily
You are right. I think moving on and putting it behind you is the best way forward.
I know some things can never be forgotten, but dwelling on them can do no good.
I really admire how you have dealt with things.

Chewbacca Sat 16-Jul-22 15:57:59

So many very similar past experiences and attitudes to moving on as you DiamondLily; It's just life really - some you win, and some you lose is a mantra we could all strive to live by.