Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Do abusive people know they are abusive?

(304 Posts)
VioletSky Wed 27-Jul-22 15:01:54

This is the one thing I have never been able to figure out.

Whether we are talking about an abusive parent, an abusive adult child or an abusive partner of an estranged adult child...

Do they know they are abusive?

Or do they think they are right and justified in their actions?

Is that why they are so easily able to convince others around them to either join in on that behaviour, defend them or convince a partner to estrange a family member?

Do they think that others are deserving of bad treatment?

Do they genuinely think that their world view is the only right and fair one and anyone who doesn't agree must be othered somehow?

I remember so well how my mother taught me I was deserving of abuse, that I wasn't good enough, that I wasn't worthy of love.

Did she truly believe that about me and thought she was right all along?

A big part of me thinks that they must know, or they wouldn't deny their own behaviour, they wouldn't gaslight, they wouldn't tell you you are too sensitive or imagining things...

But recently I'm not so sure, maybe it starts out small, maybe there was a thing that you did that they didn't like and they don't know how to forgive and it escalated from there as you react to their behaviour and they decide your reaction is what defines you.

Maybe they think you deserve to be punished and the gaslighting is simply to ensure that you stick around to get it.

VioletSky Wed 03-Aug-22 11:01:01

Abusive people teach their children they are unlovable and worthless

Children are programmed to look to their parents so once that message is installed it is extremely hard to get rid of.

When some become adults they choose to estrange that parent.

When some become adults they choose to manage that parent.

It's a bit like riding riding roller-coaster.

It's brave to ride it and it is brave to choose not to.

Smileless2012 Wed 03-Aug-22 17:23:12

hugs you are lovable. You have people in your life who love you because not only are you lovable you are worthy of loveflowers.

As you've posted Caleo the child is always innocent and after years of trying to come to terms with my own abusive experience, that was all I needed to know. I was innocent. It wasn't my fault.

kateflowers it is possible and believe that, because it's true.

User7777 Mon 07-Nov-22 00:06:26

I think some people are not aware of their behaviours. My sister is always abusive to me. Verbally mainly, and is very unhappy in herself. I do charity work which she laughs at. She is wealthier than me, but so what, I feel my karma is better than hers. Am thinking of removing myself permanently from her. Her son upsets her, and this causes a lot of her aggression