Gransnet forums

Estrangement

I really think I would have made a good grandfather.

(112 Posts)
DannyD Sat 06-Aug-22 18:38:19

I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 47+ years now. My wife and I are both in our mid 60s, and have three children, all of whom are married with our two sons, both in their mid 40s having children of their own.

My wife has suffered with both mental and physical issues for years, having been diagnosed with Lupus, Fibro, RA, Bipolarism, Depression, and most recently, Major Cognitive Disorder (Dementia).

Facebook! Is it a godsend or a God Damn curse? While we are neither one on Facebook anymore, we were one time. Our sons live off, one 120 miles away and the other in Korea, so the only way to keep current with them was texting or Facebook. I don't know when or how it all started, but one remark made then a counter and it just seemed to escalate. No need to get into a she said/she said here.

I've tried to play peacemaker, and have had some success. I've tried my best to explain to my sons and daughter their mother's state of mind and the fact that she has said some things better left unsaid. I guess whatever she said, and for the life of me I can't remember, is simply unforgiveable for one of my sons and my daughter, who is much younger, in her mid 20s.

Our son who lives in Korea with his wife and two daughters understands what is going on and messages us regularly, and his wife sends pictures to keep us up to date as we watch our granddaughters grow up.

Our son, who has three sons, and his wife, for whatever reason, refuses to text, message, call, or visit. Our last visit with them, us going to their house, was Christmas of 2021, and I thought it was a wonderful visit. Of course my wife could not interact as she wanted to due to her conditions, but when we left their house we were both so pleased that the visit had gone well. Since then I've tried calling, texting, and emailing both my son and daughter-in-law to see how everyone was doing, but have only been met with sporadic texts. I did manage to get my son to call me one morning. He had me on speaker and was driving two of his boys to school. After passing pleasantries, I told him I was curious why neither he nor his wife would contact us. I said that I thought our Christmas visit went well, and thought the past was behind us. He told me it was not me, that he didn't like the way "mom was." I said well I guess I'm just collateral damage, huh? His response "It is what it is".

I won't get into issues involving my wife and daughter.

Anyway, Like the title says, I always thought I would have made a good grandfather.

Normandygirl Sun 07-Aug-22 11:52:42

Hithere

Peace maker = rug sweeper

Dangerous role. Justifying and minimizing the offending behaviour does not help the situation, in fact, makes it worse

Hithere
You are confusing Peacemaker with Peacekeeper, they are very different roles.
A Peacekeeper wants to avoid conflict by not " rocking the boat" steer clear of conflict and maintain a facade of peace to keep others happy
A Peacemaker is a mediator who strives to restore balance, amnity and resolution and bring a situation to a solid place.
I'm sure Jesus said "Blessed are the Peacemakers" right?

VioletSky Sun 07-Aug-22 12:17:20

I'm not sure a situation where a son would be told to "cleave to his wife" the DIL is valid here.

That is a nuclear family issue, Husband, wife and children.

This is also a nuclear family issue, husband, wife and children.

I think also advice should be based on who has had the mean things said to them in any situation, whether its a new issue caused by illness or an old issue heightened by illness is probably what needs to be sorted out and only OP knows the truth of that.

Continuing to have a good relationship with the children and show them love and support is probably the absolute best way to achieve a reconciliation for the whole family in future.

Choosing the wife over the children would send the clear messge that they weren't heard, supported and understood.

No one should ever be in a position where they are forced to choose between their wife and their own children amd I hope that doesn't come from either wife or children.

Smileless2012 Sun 07-Aug-22 12:27:09

That's a lovely post*Granniesunite*smile.

I agree Normandygirl I can see why rug sweeping would be connected to a peacekeeper, but not a peacemaker.

DiamondLily Sun 07-Aug-22 14:14:56

Alzheimer's and Dementia are not the same as workaday mental health issues.

The wife won't and can't improve, and it's a case of relatives having to adjust to the disease, if contact is to be maintained.

Lucca Sun 07-Aug-22 14:20:50

Hithere

Dangerous role. Justifying and minimizing the offending behaviour does not help the situation, in fact, makes it worse

What, always ?

Norah Sun 07-Aug-22 14:39:43

Bipolarism, Depression, and Dementia. are all difficult for outsiders to understand and cope with.

It's admirable Danny is loyal to his wife, but I can't see a way forward for his son to subject his family to remark made then a counter and it just seemed to escalate. No need to get into a she said/she said.

Or issues involving my wife and daughter.

Sounds like too much to unravel, to me.

Granniesunite Sun 07-Aug-22 14:41:02

DannyDwife can’t choose anything she has dementia and it’s probably been with her for a few years before diagnosis.

She may not have capacity at all the poor woman.

It’s an awful situation made worse by the behaviour of those who can’t or won’t see exactly what is wrong with their mum.

DiamondLily Sun 07-Aug-22 14:46:42

I think the difference is that Bi-Polar and depression can be treated and improve.

Alzheimer's and Dementia are degenerative diseases that currently can't be treated.

Sad situation.

Hithere Sun 07-Aug-22 15:03:34

Getting along with the son in Korea is also easier, given they are in a different time zone, online interactions are usually shorter than in person visits and the mother may or not be present.

Is the daughter also more local to you (in same country)?

FarNorth Sun 07-Aug-22 15:04:35

It’s an awful situation made worse by the behaviour of those who can’t or won’t see exactly what is wrong with their mum.

Perhaps they can see clearly what is wrong, and that it can only get worse.
I'd say, as there was a Xmas visit before the son started to be distant, that Dan should accept that his son's family found it very difficult being with his wife.
Dan should take the advice given earlier, to maintain his own relationship with both his sons and his grandchildren if he actually wants to continue being a grandfather .

VioletSky Sun 07-Aug-22 15:23:21

Dementia is incredibly difficult for families.

I used to work in care.

There are aspects of personality when dementia occurs. I've watched an elderly lady bring her own daughter to tears and whilè making her a cup of tea she said, in some ways it was easier now because her mum couldn't hide her behaviour any more and others were seeing what she had been put through for years. Her relationship with her brother had become better as a result because he hadn't believed the mother who treated him so well treated his sister badly.

People with dementia are often confused and frightened though and some become withdrawn while others lash out because behavioural changes are the only way they can express their wants and needs. I've been hit and kicked and shouted at and I was very gentle, kind and patient.

There can also be problems with hallucinations, one lady used to tell me a story of a car coming right through her bedroom wall, daughter assured me that this was a fear of mum's living on a corner but it had never actually happened.

I could usually tell if someone had a uti because they would go through a personality change or start hearing and seeing things that weren't there and uti is common when you can't see to your own hygiene needs well and are reliant on carers twice a day.

So it's all very difficult and I appreciate that families need to make allowances but certain things are always going to be painful and hard to deal with if it is an escalation of behaviour that was already there or based on personal things.

Not everyone is strong enough to not let it impact them no matter how hard they try and how kind, patient and understanding they are.

It really depends where the problem started and if it started before dementia I think that has an impact on how well people cope with it.

Chewbacca Sun 07-Aug-22 15:27:29

I agree with you FarNorth, good advice as always.

sodapop Sun 07-Aug-22 16:57:05

I agree with FarNorth as well. Continue seeing your family Dan although I find it sad that they are unwilling to see how their mother's illness has impacted on everyone.

Hithere Sun 07-Aug-22 18:03:00

Wasn't VS who first suggested that, not FarNorth?

Madgran77 Sun 07-Aug-22 18:14:58

Hithere

Yes it was. Far North acknowledges that it was advice given earlier. I agree with the advice whether given by VS or Far North, its still good advice!

Chewbacca Sun 07-Aug-22 18:20:33

Does it really matter? confused

Hithere Sun 07-Aug-22 18:23:28

I think it does matter to give the credit to the poster who first had the idea - generally speaking

Chewbacca Sun 07-Aug-22 18:26:12

But, as it does seem to matter Hithere, I've had a look at both posts and, whilst they both offer the sound advice, as have so many others, FarNorth's isn't the same at all! smile

VioletSky Sun 07-Aug-22 18:42:33

Thank you FarNorth, Hithere and Madgran

Madgran77 Sun 07-Aug-22 18:59:53

VS If you have the opportunity to still be dad and grandad please take it

FarNorth Dan should take the advice given earlier, to maintain his own relationship with both his sons and his grandchildren if he actually wants to continue being a grandfather

This is the similar sound advice offered by VS and Far North that I agree with.

But I am still unclear as to why this is a big deal really. With threads moving pretty fast, it is easy for the same advice to be given again and for a poster to see it the second time and not the first. Seen it many times myself and seen my own advice not commented on but repeated in similar vein by someone else. So what - as long as whatever is said is helpful to the OP. Lets hope that this piece of advice is helpful to Danny if he is still reading

Norah Sun 07-Aug-22 19:02:48

I'd say staying loyal to life partner is most important, I'd not hurt or upset mine by visiting DS alone.

Norah Sun 07-Aug-22 19:05:36

Madgran77, But I am still unclear as to why this is a big deal really.

Agreed. It's not of any matter at all, IMO.

Chewbacca Sun 07-Aug-22 19:13:22

Agree with you Madgran & Norah; it's not at all unusual for the same advice to be given, several times, and by different posters, to the same problem, so I'm not at all sure why this thread is any different. confused Seems a bit odd.

Casdon Sun 07-Aug-22 19:14:33

Norah

I'd say staying loyal to life partner is most important, I'd not hurt or upset mine by visiting DS alone.

I would, if I could see both parties’ perspective on the difficulties between them, and I knew that my partner was not able to behave appropriately in front of my children or grandchildren, which seems to be the case here. Blind loyalty to a partner at the expense of your own relationships with your children and grandchildren just isn’t right or fair in those circumstances.

Norah Sun 07-Aug-22 19:26:11

Casdon, It's my opinion that loyalty to my husband comes first, before any other relationship. Opinions may vary!