Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Estranged from adult son

(67 Posts)
brokendad Sat 31-Dec-22 17:40:44

My adult son and I have not spoken for about 9 months and prior to that it was about a six month period of time that we did not speak.

From the time that he entered his teens, he went on a steady downward spiral into substance abuse. This was accompanied by often aggressive and hostile treatment of myself and his mother (who I am no longer with).

I suspect that the breakdown of the marriage was a contributing factor in his downward spiral. This happened when my son was quite young - just about to enter school.

Although the marriage ended, my ex and I managed to maintain a good relationship with regard to the best interest of both of our kids. We were civil toward each other and did not, for the most part do anything to sabotage the character of the other parent.

As he grew older, my son's behaviour became increasingly problematic. I attempted to lay down the law with respect to drug use in my home and he responded with violence and threats. I responded by having him charged with assault. From that point on I did not want him in my home if he was going to be violent and abusive. I was hoping for change but it did not come.

Things steadily got worse from there. His substance abuse became more and more severe and his anger and resentment toward me continued to deepen.

We have attempted to repair our relationship, but it seems that his ongoing resentment toward me is still strong and he can't let go of it. I too am having trouble letting go of some of the lingering effects of all of our negative interactions. I do not trust him or feel safe in proximity to him. That's a hard thing to admit about your own child.

The last time we interacted he lashed out at me for no reason that I can identify and told me he was cutting ties with me. Since then I have not made any attempt to contact him and he has not made any attempt to contact me.

I still love him. I wake up in the morning and he is immediately on my mind. I am perpetually sad and regretful. My mental state is not great most days. I feel stuck and helpless.

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Jan-23 09:09:20

He was going to do what he was going to do sometimes we forget this brokendad, because we simply don't know if we'd done things differently, if they'd have made different life choices.

It is hard to be in some environments when estrangement has affected our lives. We still avoid events, especially around Christmas where there are families with small children because we've lost our only GC due to our estrangement.

The willingness of others to share their own experiences is so important as there are so many similarities, and when it happens to you, thinking you're the only one makes it even harder to talk about it.

I still remember how relieved I was when I found the first support thread for estranged parents and GP's here on GN, even though that was almost 10 years ago.

DiamondLily Wed 04-Jan-23 09:26:43

Brokendad - you also need to take into account that regular drug taking can alter the character and perceptions of the user.

In an ideal world, children would grow up in happy households with two loving parents, but life isn't always like that. Marriages break up every day of the week.

It sounds as though you and your ex did it the best way possible, in both remaining committed parents.

He's an adult, he's choosing to continue to take drugs, That's his choice, and only he can make the decision to seek help to try to get off of them.

You cannot reason with an addict - whatever their addiction.πŸ™

No one should ever be threatened or abused by a family member, or anyone else, whatever the "excuse".

I would try to build a happy life for yourself, accept the situation for now, and hope that he deals with his addiction, as things might change at that point.

Best wishes, πŸ’

VioletSky Wed 04-Jan-23 18:32:07

Brokendad

If you want any kind of reconciliation one day when your son is ready to get help, then you will have to take responsibility for how your decisions and choices affected your ability to parent effectively.

As I said, your son has to choose to fix himself but you also have choices to make.

Washing your hands of any responsibility from advice here is never a good choice and it doesn't lead to reconciliation and the future healthy relationship you admire.

Unfortunately this is the estrangement forum. People here are estranged, usually on a permanent basis.

I'd advise you to go to counselling and talk this through with someone who can help you be strong and whole yourself

OnwardandUpward Wed 04-Jan-23 18:49:19

Hi Brokendad. So sorry to read your struggles but you came to a good place for support. I'm also estranged from a son who is taking drugs (in his own home) and estranged from his Dad several years before estranging me.
I find it most hard to be around happy families with babies and toddlers as my GC were those ages when I lost them due to his estrangement.

You have laid a boundary and well done for that. VS I have taken responsibilty for years even for things that were out of my control and not my fault, just to keep the peace- and it hasn't helped. I wish it was as easy as that, but hope it works for you Brokendad.

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Jan-23 19:03:58

Yes you have come to a good place for support brokendad and I hope you wont be put off by any suggestion that you failed to parent your son effectively.

There is nothing in your posts to suggest that you've washed your hands of any responsibility, and the fact that some who have responded are estranged from an AC as I am, does not negate the advice or support that you've been given.

As well as estranged parents here, there are also those who estranged their parents, remain estranged and are as likely to remain estranged on a permanent basis, as the estranged parents who've responded.

As you say Onward if only it was as easy as a parent taking responsibility for everything, whether or not it's their faulthmm.

VioletSky Wed 04-Jan-23 20:31:20

You misunderstand

Son has to take care of his responsibilities as an adult, as does Dad.

I've been to counselling and one thing I did do before estranging was take responsibility for my own faults and failures in my relationship with my mother. She could not so we are estranged.

Both parties must do this or the estrangement does not end and yes, support for that can be helpful if that is what others choose for themselves

However reconciliation seems to be a goal here so that's my advice unless support only is what is asked

It is up to BrokenDad if he takes it

OnwardandUpward Wed 04-Jan-23 20:36:54

DiamondLily

Brokendad - you also need to take into account that regular drug taking can alter the character and perceptions of the user.

In an ideal world, children would grow up in happy households with two loving parents, but life isn't always like that. Marriages break up every day of the week.

It sounds as though you and your ex did it the best way possible, in both remaining committed parents.

He's an adult, he's choosing to continue to take drugs, That's his choice, and only he can make the decision to seek help to try to get off of them.

You cannot reason with an addict - whatever their addiction.πŸ™

No one should ever be threatened or abused by a family member, or anyone else, whatever the "excuse".

I would try to build a happy life for yourself, accept the situation for now, and hope that he deals with his addiction, as things might change at that point.

Best wishes, πŸ’

It's so sad, but yes drugs do change them. My son's personality is so different since he started taking DMT as well as other drugs.

People who have parents that aren't divorced still take drugs and people who have parents that are divorced don't always take drugs. I hate that people blame the divorced parents or that the divorced parents blame themselves because there is always a choice to take drugs.

These kids are adults. They make a choice every time they get high or whatever. They are addicted, but until they choose to get help for their addiction there is not much anyone can do for them. I agree, you cannot reason with an addict. They have an answer for everything, at least my son does.

I agree, no one should be threatened or abused by a family member. This is why we cannot have contact, but I do think of him every day.

DiamondLily Thu 05-Jan-23 06:33:17

I agree -arguing with a drug addict or an alcoholic is like trying to knit jelly - pointless and it won't work.

If a couple are unhappily married, especially if they are warring, there are only two alternatives - the children grow up watching their parents arguing, or the couple get divorced.

Divorce done properly shouldn't harm the kids. Plenty of couples I know have divorced, and the children aren't addicts.

But, they kept their strife, with each other, away from the children, and the parent with custody kept up full contact with both sides of the extended family.

The addict has to be the one to get free of the addiction. No one else can do it.

They can throw up all sort of excuses as to why they do what do, but they are adults, and they can change if they want to.

I don't know why counselling would help the non addict family members - my DH wouldn't do it. It's not him necking down excess alcohol, and it's not him gambling himself into debt with online poker/roulette games.πŸ€”

It will all come-a-tumble soon anyway. Stepson bled his mother dry, with cash, second mortgages, equity release etc. but, she was admitted to hospital then a care home 6 months ago. While she's been away, he has drawn out money from her account every week and spent it on his addictions.

Now the council are trying to organise her funding her own care, (she owns a property and the council want control of her finances etc), and so are asking questions as to where all this money has gone.πŸ™„

OnwardandUpward Thu 05-Jan-23 07:39:08

VioletSky

You misunderstand

Son has to take care of his responsibilities as an adult, as does Dad.

I've been to counselling and one thing I did do before estranging was take responsibility for my own faults and failures in my relationship with my mother. She could not so we are estranged.

Both parties must do this or the estrangement does not end and yes, support for that can be helpful if that is what others choose for themselves

However reconciliation seems to be a goal here so that's my advice unless support only is what is asked

It is up to BrokenDad if he takes it

Thanks VS, its such a shame your Mum did not. Also I can't (without a huge change of heart) imagine my son ever thinking he's behaved wrongly towards us.
I would love it if he faced his responsibilities as an adult as I have mine. But all he ever does is drag me over the coals while being cruel and acting like I deserve abuse, which is why it was me this time to break contact.
I hope it helps you Brokedad.

OnwardandUpward Thu 05-Jan-23 07:41:09

You're right Diamondlily.
So sorry about your Mother in law and family, it sounds stressful.

DiamondLily Thu 05-Jan-23 09:35:44

Thankfully, it's DHs ex wife so I can stay well out of it. As can he. He gifted her his half of their house, as part of the divorce agreement, so nothing anyone has done is anything to do with him.πŸ˜‰

Smileless2012 Thu 05-Jan-23 09:41:12

My understanding is that brokendad is trying to come to terms with the estrangement and the reasons it's happened, rather than what he can do to bring about a reconciliation, and I can see how counselling could be advantageous in that respect.

As you say DL arguing with an addict is pointless and doesn't work, neither does trying to have a reasonable conversation about their addiction.

Adult relationships break down, parents divorce and the majority of those with children do their best to maintain a secure and loving environment for their children.

I agree Onward it's wrong to blame divorced parents for the choices their AC make,and it's wrong for an AC to blame his/her parents as that can result in one or both parents feeling responsible for something that was and remains out of their control.

brokendad Thu 05-Jan-23 16:07:23

I have been to counselling both for help dealing with the marital breakdown and for dealing with the ensuing estrangement from my son.

The marriage broke down because of infidelity. I tried to hold it together for over a year, but when I discovered that despite going through the motions, my ex was still seeing her affair partner, I was out. It was apparent that I was not ever going to be able to trust her anymore. Years later, she tried going with DS to counseling. That did go well. I think he was expecting it to be much more of a reveal of everything she had done wrong and less about what they could do to move forward together. He was and still is extremely bitter about the affair. To the point that he talks about wanting to kill the man. Something he thinks I should have done.

If I were the psychologist, I would say that at the core of his addictions is trauma he suffered as a child from the breakdown of the marriage.

He has been involved in a rehabilitation program (twice) but I don’t believe that this program offered the psychological services necessary for him to get to the root of his anger and addiction. These things may, in fact, run deeper than just the family breakdown.

I’m not optimistic that if I were to go to counselling with him, the result would be any better. My feeling is that he needs to work on himself first.

Part of the problem is that I am honestly afraid of what might happen if we are put together in the same room. I’m not a small man and can defend myself, but I don’t want to have to do that. I’ve gotten physical with him before and I never want to do that again, and have not, even when he has attacked me physically several times since.

OnwardandUpward Thu 05-Jan-23 16:58:40

Anger is scary and I understand your feeling, Brokedad. None of us should have to be in a position where we feel physically threatened by anyone, especially not our own child.

Maybe it would be good to see if you could get some kind of online mediation (if that's a thing?) so you could work out your problems with a trained third party, but not physically in the same place?

I wish I knew what to do, myself. Even if we found a way and suggested it to them, they still have a choice whether to accept. Last time I talked to my son I could not reason with him because he was unreasonable.

Smileless2012 Thu 05-Jan-23 17:06:47

You could be right that the root of his anger and addiction is the break down of your marriage brokendad. There maybe anger toward you for not dealing with your wife's lover the way he thinks you should have, and if he thinks your response should have been an act of violence, this shows how skewed his thought processes are.

I agree that your son needs counselling himself, before embarking on joint counselling with you especially as previous contact has resulted in a physical altercation. I'm assuming that when you became physical with him before, it was in self defence. Not a situation that any father wants to find himself in.

You say his mother's counselling with your son went well which might be an indication that when you're both ready, joint counselling could be beneficial. That said, he'll need to understand that part of the process will be finding ways to move forward together, and not just airing one's personal grievances. That's why counselling for himself needs to come first.

VioletSky Thu 05-Jan-23 17:14:46

BrokenDad

It sounds like you have done the right things seeking counselling for yourself

Now you know you can be ready when your son comes to you.

The sad fact about infidelity and divorce is that no matter who is at fault or even if no one was at fault and the relationship just didn't work... it still impacts children deeply. I'm sure your counsellor has explained to you about attachment and abandonment issues in children which can happen no matter how involved parents are after divorce.

Remember that taking responsibility is not the same as blaming yourself.

Hopefully one day your son will be ready to take responsibility for his actions and move past blaming himself.

The difference in taking responsibility and the self harm/blame cycle is the difference between mental health and mental anguish. Positive and negative.

Remember that if he ever approaches you, it will help

OnwardandUpward Fri 06-Jan-23 13:23:41

One thing I would say: stop blaming yourself. It is what it is. No one who loves anyone EVER gets married planning to divorce one day. Things happen that we could never foresee. Cut yourself some slack.

Saying that a child is a drug addict because you got divorced is not a fair thing. No Brokedad, your child and my child are drug addicts because they took drugs that they got addicted to. People enjoy drugs. Adults make choices and they must bear responsibility for their own. Much as we can apologise for things we got wrong as parents, we cannot apologise if they made poor life choices when they were old enough to choose. Only an addict can take responsibility for their addiction and only an addict can get the help they need at the time of their choosing.

OnwardandUpward Fri 06-Jan-23 13:52:28

Additionally no one who is estranged from their child ever intended or wanted that and from the time when they first held their beautiful baby, I doubt any could have imagined it would ever be a reality.

I certainly never believed so.

fuseta Fri 06-Jan-23 14:36:56

So tragic. I fostered a boy when he was 12 and supported him through thick and thin and he became a permanent member of our family. After a lot of trouble in his teens, he met someone and had 4 lovely children and his own business. Then their relationship started to break down and he started drinking excessively. One by one, he cut everybody off. I haven't seen or heard from him for 7 years. I heard that his eldest daughter had made him a Grandad on Christmas Eve, but nobody knew where he was. Then yesterday, I got a call from him. He said that he wants to come and see me and then he is moving to Cornwall, where he knows absolutely nobody. I am now waiting for a call to tell me when he is coming. I am a bit wary, as I don't know how he will be, but I couldn't say no. This, after no contact for 7 years! He has been given plenty of love over the years but keeps messing everything up! I had detached myself from him, as I had no choice!

Smileless2012 Fri 06-Jan-23 15:17:59

You must be full of mixed emotions fuseta. 7 years is a long time with no contact so it's understandable that you are wary. I wish you all the luck in the world that when you meet, it goes wellflowers.

OnwardandUpward Fri 06-Jan-23 15:33:48

Good luck Fuseta flowers Could you arrange to meet for a meal out somewhere so it's a public place in case things are awkward or he's problematic?

Another thing I'd say to all of us including myself is " Forgive yourself for not knowing what you now know "

We are often too hard on ourselves. We need to be on our own side.

VioletSky Fri 06-Jan-23 16:47:21

ACES are so important

Not only for adult children who have ACES and are struggling but parenting effectively when you have ACES yourself

youtu.be/VMpIi-4CZK0

Smileless2012 Fri 06-Jan-23 17:08:21

Forgive yourself for not knowing what you now know that's very good Onward and well worth rememberingsmile.

OnwardandUpward Fri 06-Jan-23 17:31:22

What are ACES VS?

Thanks Smileless

VioletSky Fri 06-Jan-23 17:34:27

There is a video in my comment

It's extremely interesting

I learnt about it during my coursework and its been fundamental in healing for me. There are some really good articles out there as well as ways to work out an ACES score