Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Choosing between my children

(65 Posts)
Nonnak Tue 03-Jan-23 12:15:17

When my son was 7, my then 12 year old daughter sexually assaulted him, he did not tell me about this until my daughter left home at 16. They are now grown up, 27 and 32. I had an amazing relationship with my son but was not in touch with my daughter for some years the just sporadically. We became close again when she became pregnant with my granddaughter, now 15 months old and she now spends lots of time with us, my granddaughter has been such a blessing. My some moved to America 5 years ago and is happily married, no children yet. Until very recently I kept my relationship with his sister a secret as I was a avoiding upsetting him however it was becoming harder to hide so told him. He has now said I must choose between him and his sister, that he can't have a relationship with him if his sister is in my life. I love them both so much and have developed a close relationship with my granddaughter and have no idea what to do. I feel like my son deserves support it I also have guilt about my daughter as I feel I should take some responsibility, I was the one who raised her. She is an absolutely amazing mother, puts me to shame and she is doing a wonderful job of raising her daughter. I believe that she is a good person who did a terrible thing. I can't talk about this to anyone I know and I feel like I am backed into a corner. I can't stop crying, my heart is breaking.

Norah Thu 05-Jan-23 12:51:39

I agree, nightowl.

The post is not saddening. I hope toddler GD is protected from harm (away from people who abuse or rugsweep) and everyone gets therapy.

Norah Thu 05-Jan-23 12:54:57

Is terribly saddening -- NOT is not saddening

BlueberryPie Thu 05-Jan-23 14:27:19

I think I would take the matter to an appropriate therapist for help in sorting it out. And tell your son that's what you're doing. That way, you're not disregarding his feelings OR allowing him to dictate what you can and can't do. Idk but it seems likely to me that might be acceptable to him or at least more acceptable. He may just want the recognition of feeling like he's being considered.

Smileless2012 Thu 05-Jan-23 14:33:25

That's a good idea BlueberryPie.

Madgran77 Thu 05-Jan-23 15:52:35

This is, or would be a nightmare situation for any parent, and certainly happens in real life

I am aware of real a life situation in a family that is exactly this scenario. Further complicated by financial abuse of the adult parent.

It happens. And sometimes OPs don't come back because they post then are so caught up in their worry they just cant face it, or they read but don't comment because its devastating ...or ...so many possibilities!

OnwardandUpward Thu 05-Jan-23 20:16:26

Whatever happens, you have a duty of Child Protection towards your GD. You could contact mosac.org.uk/ for support.

IF you are not 100% sure if the abuse is true, you could ask your son whether he has reported it to police. If your son decided to, he could choose to get a lawyer and take this to court. www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/children-and-young-people/protecting-children/getting-help-and-compensation-if-you-were-abused-as-a-child/

BlueberryPie Thu 05-Jan-23 20:42:58

I am no expert on this sort of thing but my first thought is that I really don't think an adult should be held very accountable for something they did as a child. Twelve is very young and kids do dumb things.

For ex., say she'd stolen something from a when she was twelve. I doubt anyone would worry that she was a thief now, with nothing more than a long ago child's misdeed to go on.

I think you shouldn't have kept it from your son that you were back in contact with your daughter, though. I understand that you were just trying to avoid this whole situation. But I can also see how it might have made him feel uncared for all over again.

I'd start with a qualified therapist yourself, then possibly bring one or both children into it IF the therapist thinks it's a good idea.

At this point, the main issue to me is really just to show your son that you care very much about him. That's what I think I'd want if I were in his shoes, anyway. Good luck with it.

BlueberryPie Thu 05-Jan-23 20:44:00

Correction: The above should have said "say she'd stolen something from a STORE when she was twelve.

OnwardandUpward Thu 05-Jan-23 21:14:05

Sexual interference is not equal to shop lifting, therefore I don't agree. Both are criminal offences in their individual way- and both have very different consequences.

My son did shop lift as a teen. The shop banned him for life and the police were called. He never did it again.

OnwardandUpward Thu 05-Jan-23 21:15:22

BlueberryPie

Correction: The above should have said "say she'd stolen something from a STORE when she was twelve.

What about what the daughter stole from her brother?

BlueberryPie Thu 05-Jan-23 21:24:27

Well if anyone has all the answers it's certainly not me, OnwardandUpward and I'm not here to argue. But my post remains my opinion based on the info. presented.

BlueberryPie Thu 05-Jan-23 21:25:32

As I said, I'd start with a therapist and sort it all out with their help.

Shelflife Fri 14-Apr-23 18:28:40

Perhaps counselling for all of you would help? I am no expert but what happened all those years ago does not mean your DD is a sexual predator and that her children are at risk - I feel fairly sure they are not. Clearly what happened to your son has had to a profound effect on him - understandably so. Counselling is a powerful tool and not to be underestimated.
On a final note - this is not your fault!!!! As parents we are hard wired to think we are to blame for the behaviour of our children- I don't believe that. I wish you and your family peace and a positive
outcome. 💐💐

crazyH Fri 14-Apr-23 18:51:31

What a sad, difficult situation for you, as a mother, who loves both her children. I can’t offer much advice. ‘Sexual assault’ by a 12 year old on a 7 year old ?? Was your daughter just being inquisitive? (if you know what I mean). Perhaps I’m being naive here. But I feel bad that you are in this position. flowers