Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Time to draw a line?

(34 Posts)
Hels001 Fri 27-Jan-23 13:34:02

My dd and I have been estranged some time now since a very acrimonious divorce from her dad. In fact her dad and step mum are key players in it. However I have a granddaughter who's now just had her 8th birthday. I was informed by dd she didn't want any form of relationship ever again with me however I could send cards and gifts for granddaughter. I have it was cheques which were cashed first Christmas and birthday. Then for the next couple of years it was cash in cards which I myself posted through their door - never a thank you. This last Christmas now we can shop safely I took the bus into town and chose a couple of outfits from Next sent with gift receipts via a friend's daughter who still sees my dd. They moved house never gave me their address. Its just been granddaughters 8th birthday I sent an expensive gift from Beaverbrooks a lovely child's locket. I've just had a phone call from my friend to say probably best not to send a gift again since apparently the locket was wrapped up and given as a prize for pass the parcel her daughter attended the party and saw this. I'm absolutely gutted. There are no words to say how I feel.

Smileless2012 Sun 19-Mar-23 19:42:54

Good for you Sallywally, what right does your ED's husband have to tell you you can't send your GS's birthday cards. What matters to you is you send them.

Allsorts Sun 19-Mar-23 19:52:35

Sallywally, what a charmer your sil is. I would do as you’d do and ignore him. As you say everything passes.

NanaDana Sun 19-Mar-23 20:04:43

So very sorry to hear this, Hels, and I have to admire your commitment over the long term, despite the fact that your efforts have not been appreciated. Perhaps it's now time to draw a line under it, painful as that is, and move on to pastures new. Excusing yourself from the pressure of a continued fruitless and emotionally draining exercise will become a positive, and it will get easier.

Nicegranny Sun 02-Apr-23 13:27:46

Dear Hels ,
How cruel your dd and sil are.
I can’t imagine what heinous crimes they feel you are guilty of to punish you in such a way. Clearly not bad enough to warrant being treated like an anonymous babysitter for the odd hour or two and the butt of a cruel joke to put your loving gift in a “pass the parcel” party game.
Shame on them!
I don’t think other people would think much of them either and you know what children are like, if your gd knew the gift was meant for her I’m sure it wouldn’t make her happy.
I feel sad for you and had to tell you I think you are worth more than this.

I have a pregnant dil who is mean and nasty and only today has caused trouble between me and my son. She doesn’t want me around she never has and when she has this baby, even though it’s my son’s I will never put myself through pain like you have.
It sounds like your daughter has her husband’s backing and that’s a difficult one to break down barriers.
Take care of yourself. Xx

Fethiye53 Sun 26-Nov-23 09:26:53

What is the matter with people?? When did people become so mean and spiteful to their parents? Ive been estranged from my son for over 15 years Ive stopped counting. For my own sake I dont even go there now. Their plan is to break you to have you on your knees for not being a perfect parent dont let them. Carry on regardless. Let them get on with it. One cannot fix what ails them. One day they will question their behaviour when its too late. I believe in karma they will at some point get a taste of their own treatment. Take care of yourself.

JaneJudge Sun 26-Nov-23 09:35:38

VioletSky

I think, for your own sake, it is time to stop.

I would advise some grief counselling while things are so painful... unless you would consider offering your daughter joint counselling to see if you can move past this together

I agree with this. Buying gifts without any attempt at reconciliation is pointless

Redhead56 Sun 26-Nov-23 09:52:54

I am always very sad to hear of estrangements within families and some without reason. I know you are being given good advice here from grans with a very similar experience.

I agree (easily said than done though) have a time to weep then try to move on. You still have your life to live and you have done all you can. Take the advice given wisely open an account for your GC and leave details in your will. I wish you well look after yourself 💐

Juliet27 Sun 26-Nov-23 11:07:01

That was an old thread. I wonder how Hels is doing now