Gransnet forums

Estrangement

I Don't Know What To Do

(101 Posts)
Moonwatcher1904 Wed 08-Feb-23 13:08:22

It's taken me over a week to pluck up courage to write this. I'm so stressed about this. I'll try to be as brief so I don't drag it out.
I have 2 dds. I'll call them D1 (age 44 tomorrow) and D2 (age 41). D2 lives with boyfriend of many years about an hours drive away, both with good jobs and quite settled and no children. However, D1 is so different. She has had many jobs and places to live. Went back to live with her dad in the town where she was born and where I live also many times but their relationship was very stormy. Their dad suffered with cancer and for quite a few years the sisters never spoke to each other up to the point they both blocked her on their phones. Late last year their dad went into hospital and the cat he cared for (who belonged originally to D1) had to be put in a cattery and she kicked off big time. Told him she didn't want anything from his will and sent all her many texts to him and her sister via me. I did not want to be piggy in the middle and told her so.
Their dad died in December who was my ex. DD1 said last year she had ADHD. She went to friends on Christmas Day and came to us on New Years Day and stayed the night. No problems and talked, watched tv. All seemed well.
A couple of weeks ago we went to our solicitor to make our wills and needed DD1 full address so later that day tried to ring her but she didn't reply. Sent her a text to ask and since then have had nothing but a torrent of awful messages.
Didn't think we believed her about the ADHD and was going to get as many medical reports as she could and go to Switzerland to Dignitas. She thinks no treatment will do any good after the miserable life she has had. I have tried to talk to her but whatever I say brings forth more horrible texts. Now she is bringing up stuff from her childhood but there was never any evidence there was a problem them. She mentions stuff I can't remember happening and has told me she'll never bother me again. I've done nothing wrong but now her dad has gone she seems to be taking it all out on me. I feel so hurt by all this and powerless to do anything.
I've told her she needs a proper assessment to determine if she has it but she is adamant she has and determined to go to Switzerland. I've read about this place and it's horrendous.
I would like to know what your thoughts are. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

welbeck Thu 09-Feb-23 01:04:07

all the best, Moon.
we'll be thinking of you too.

Moonwatcher1904 Thu 09-Feb-23 13:30:10

wellbeck I sent this just after midnight....Thinking of you especially on your birthday.. with love Mum ❤️
This morning I've had a torrent of abuse. I gave her money for her birthday a few weeks ago then some more as she needed it for bills. Now she is saying she is giving it me back as she has accused me of calling her a junkie and spending the money on weed. I've never said anything like this but only mentioned to her that I thought she should try not to smoke it. I don't think there is any hope of going back on all this.

pascal30 Thu 09-Feb-23 13:43:22

I fully agree with Dogsbody and think you should completely disengage. If she has said to you that she will medical reports that implies that she is able to do that. Let her take responsibility for sorting herself out.. and keep your distance, block your phone

DianneAngel Thu 09-Feb-23 15:51:21

My youngest Son has ADHD and has problems with keeping a job for more than a year. Sometimes, it's his choice to leave, Sometimes, he is sacked. ADHD definitely impacts jobs. As others have said her anxiety and depression needs to be addressed. They are frequently present in people with ADHD. Hope you can get some relief from the situation. A step back will put you somewhat a distance from her situation. hugs

Moonwatcher1904 Thu 09-Feb-23 16:24:40

Thankyou Pascal and Dianne. It's hard to take a step back when it's your child (as old as she is) but you are right. I can't stop thinking about her and endless scenarios though. It's heartbreaking to have a good relationship and suddenly receive the most horrendous tirade of abuse in the space of a week.

silverlining48 Thu 09-Feb-23 16:30:59

So very sorry Moonwalker. It’s been a dreadful week for you.
Try to keep busy doing something which occupies you if only some of the time. .-flowers

pascal30 Thu 09-Feb-23 16:50:17

As a former RMN I think that the symptoms you describe are in line with BPD and probably the best thing DD can do is to have a MH assessment.. I feel for you but you shouldn't have to be terrorised like this. Let a MH team help her. If it is at all possible to pursuade her to ask for help.

Moonwatcher1904 Thu 09-Feb-23 17:40:17

I know she is trying to get assessed to get a diagnosis. As with everything it takes time. I will have to leave her to sort it out and hope she gets the result and treatment. I fear it will be a long road.

pascal30 Thu 09-Feb-23 17:51:29

I fear it will be a long road, but you could read up on BPD and then when she presents with these symptoms you will know it is her illness and maybe either avoid contact and/or don't take what she is saying personally. it is the illness not you.
I wish you well, it's not easy

welbeck Thu 09-Feb-23 17:52:00

i think you have to go LC now.
and see your doc. you need support. all the best.

Allsorts Fri 10-Feb-23 07:27:09

Moonwatcher, you can but try. Ring the doctor be open with them. I really feel for you, no one unless they have experienced it, knows how bad it is trying to have a relationship and help people with mental health difficulties, they call the tune. If possible try to protect yourself from all this negativity and drama, you do your best and then really we have no control. There are helplines that people experienced and will listen, they’ve heard it all before and are very helpful and understanding.💐

Moonwatcher1904 Mon 13-Feb-23 00:20:21

I haven't heard from her now for a few days although she texted my hubby to say she has returned the money. She didn't seem to have a problem with him and said he was indifferent to it all.
I have started reading Done with Crying by Sheri McGregor which was recommended in another post. It's very moving.

Smileless2012 Mon 13-Feb-23 10:36:29

It's maybe a good thing that you haven't heard from her for a few days Moonwatcher as this can help you to take a step back and focus on taking care of yourself.

Moonwatcher1904 Fri 24-Feb-23 17:16:59

It's 3 weeks since I last heard from her. This morning the texts about ADHD and how cannabis affects the brain has started again. Along with those are references to her sleep walking as a child which I cannot remember and other things. The brain scan she is paying to have, she says, will prove that weed doesn't affect you like she thinks I am saying it does. If I apologise for everything she won't accept it. It hurts so much because I can't remember the stuff she is saying about her childhood and for all the years since we have had quite a good relationship. I don't know where to go from here.

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Feb-23 19:40:05

You must try and step back from this Moonwatcher; nothing you do or say is going to change your D's perspective.

There's nothing to be gained for either of you if you apologise for everything, regardless of whether or not you have anything to apologise for.

You need at some point to be able to have a meaningful and rational conversation with her but there's nothing you can but wait, until she's willing and able to agree flowers.

VioletSky Fri 24-Feb-23 22:20:51

Moon

Have you looked into understanding ADHD? There are free courses you can do.

Living with ADHD can be tricky and it really helps if people close are understanding. It's a condition of opposites, they can be completely overwhelmed and shut down or hyperfocused on one topic. So perhaps not engaging her with things you disagree with is best until she has her diagnosis and is able to find help and coping skills.

When it comes to other conversations it may be best to wait until she is ready. I know that is hard but she has nit had any help to deal with this and has become an adult who will find it harder ro learn coping strategies right now

VioletSky Fri 24-Feb-23 22:23:36

www.adhdcentre.co.uk/adult-adhd-what-is-it-exactly/

Moonwatcher1904 Fri 24-Feb-23 22:59:49

Smileless: I have not replied to her messages. My hubby who has also received the same messages hasn't either. He says it will only inflame her if we do so it's best to leave it.
Violet: I have read much stuff on the subject of ADHD and yes she has a lot of the symptoms but what makes it harder is all the things she is saying to me about her childhood. Both her and her sibling were treated equally and had all that they wanted. I hope she gets the help she needs even though she says it's too late.

Smileless2012 Sat 25-Feb-23 08:58:58

Not responding is the right approach Moonwatcher, your H is right in that doing so will only inflame her.

When it comes to what she's saying about her childhood, you're between a rock and a hard place as you're not able to have a calm conversation with her about this and until you can, there's no way forward.

Norah Sat 25-Feb-23 14:33:03

Moonwatcher as your child told you, per your post, she has ADHD - why not just believe her, you've no need to control her thoughts, do you?

Let it go. Give her time to work out her problems.

Moonwatcher1904 Sun 26-Feb-23 17:44:37

I have never told her that I didn't believe her just she needed to get a proper diagnosis.
She went to see a friend yesterday to celebrate her friends daughter's birthday and sent loads of pictures of the day.
This morning another text to say she had lunch at one pub and dinner at another and a long talk with her friend. The friend had said to her f**k proving me wrong and what difference will it make to stupid people. I haven't replied to this.
We went to a family dinner yesterday with my hubby's brother and 3 sisters (birth family) who we found 5 years ago. I didn't want to say anything about all this with my daughter but ended up having a big conversation about it all. I always thought that all was great with them and their grown up children but I was sad to find that they were all having big problems with them. We all poured our problems out with each other which was hopefully a great help to us all. One of my sister in law's has a daughter who has mental health problems similar to my daughter and says she has to tread on eggshells when they speak. If her daughter rings her and the conversation turns she just says goodbye to her and puts the phone down. I will have to learn to be able to do this.

Smileless2012 Sun 26-Feb-23 19:28:44

Yes Moonwatcher you need to learn to not engage with your D when she's being argumentative and/or confrontational.

I'm sorry that your s.i.l. has a D with mental health problems and I hope you all found it cathartic sharing with one another and realising that there are problems in other families too. Her strategy of ending a conversation that becomes problematic is a good one.

When we encounter problems within our own family, we assume that no one else is, that we are alone. It makes it difficult to talk about it as we fear being judged, and sadly sometimes we are but what really matters is knowing that you are not alone.

There's no such thing as a perfect family.

pascal30 Mon 27-Feb-23 10:51:36

you are being manipulated, and this will continue unless you learn to emotionally detach yourself and stand back...

Moonwatcher1904 Mon 27-Feb-23 13:45:50

Thankyou Smiles and Pascal. I never see any of my own family only D2 which consist of 2 nephews and a niece. We have a small studio flat facing the sea and have been here 31 years but because of my DH health and my own health have not been able to do a lot of work and decorating for several years. Now we need a lot of work doing and my DH family are going to arrange to get all the work done. What a lovely family we have found and have told me to ring them any time I need to.

biglouis Mon 27-Feb-23 13:56:51

After my father died my mother and sister both refused to admit that he had beat me and told me it was "all in my imagination".

Subsequently I was talking to an old school friend and mentioned this. She told me "Well I can remember you coming to our house when you had been crying and there were huge bruises on your arms where you could see finger marks. That wasn't in MY imagination."

We only remember the things we want to remember.