Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Older couples holding hands

(84 Posts)
Fennel Tue 18-Dec-18 21:51:21

I was reading a report about a couple in their 80s being rescued after a car accident. They were holding hands.
We live in a busy NE town and often see older couples walking round holding hands. Or arms. We don't see the younger ones doing the same.
I think it's lovely, even though perhaps it's to give support on the uneven pavements here. We've started to do the same, grateful to have eachother.

Guineagirl Wed 19-Dec-18 09:42:47

Must be lovely I envy it, haven’t held hands for thirty years

seadragon Wed 19-Dec-18 09:43:46

Still at it 50 years on!

Guineagirl Wed 19-Dec-18 09:45:11

As Day6 says loved and cherished, mmm something I sadly do not feel at all.

Rosina Wed 19-Dec-18 09:49:06

We hold hands; we have often commented it is to stop us strangling each other. (Not really - we rub along pretty well!)

David1968 Wed 19-Dec-18 09:56:27

More hand-holders in their sixties, here!

Nanny41 Wed 19-Dec-18 10:01:00

I am not a hand holding type, but occasionally it happens,I like to link arms instead,this happens occasionally too.

PamelaJ1 Wed 19-Dec-18 10:04:28

I was looking for a card yesterday.
Came across one that had a couple holding hands in a shopping area. The man was saying to another one.
If I don’t hold her hand she buys something!

Kim19 Wed 19-Dec-18 10:05:56

Cannot imagine being out with my husband without physical contact. Linking his arm was particularly warming in the winter but I think we usually did hand holding. I remember one time on holiday when it was extremely hot and hands were damp. I said 'Can we just do pinkies?' That's how it was ever after. All good fun.

henetha Wed 19-Dec-18 10:08:38

I miss holding hands more than I can possibly put into words. We always did.

Charlieb Wed 19-Dec-18 10:10:51

We always held hands , sadly due to my M S he has to push me in a wheelchair , but that doesn’t stop us holding hands while sat on the sofa and in bed before we go to sleep.
Yes disease may have robbed me of my freedom but thank goodness it hasn’t robbed me of his love .

knspol Wed 19-Dec-18 10:18:46

48 years today and still holding hands when out and about (unless of course we're arguing, not speaking, or one of us is sulking etc etc)

luluaugust Wed 19-Dec-18 10:27:28

Congratulation knspol. We are a couple of hand holders, both holding each other up after all this time!

newnanny Wed 19-Dec-18 10:28:39

We hold hands too. Not just when out and about, in bed when chatting, sitting on sofa. It is nice to feel connected.

Mindy5 Wed 19-Dec-18 10:55:23

We always hold hands outdoors, even in shops. It used to be just a natural thing to do but now, in addition, it's a safety measure to stop me from sharing my face with the pavement; I tend to trip up a lot! Hey ho! I say it's 'those rotten sandals again', he says 'no it's your rotten feet'.

Harmonygranny Wed 19-Dec-18 10:57:39

Wonderful! ?

grannyactivist Wed 19-Dec-18 11:16:23

seadragon is that you in the photo?

The Wonderful Man is not naturally romantic or particularly touchy-feely, but he really does try. When we're out together he will hold my hand occasionally, but as he's another who does route-marches rather than strolling I often have to grasp his hand to reign him back.

Day6 Wed 19-Dec-18 11:23:47

Guineagirl - I am saddened to hear it. I wasn't loved or cherished when I was married either. It took me twenty years to realise it and do something about it. sad Try to make yourself happy if you can. It is draining and damaging being with a person who is cold.

My OH is very different. He is affectionate which took some getting used to (but not in a cloying way. I couldn't stand that!)

knickas63 Wed 19-Dec-18 11:32:28

My OH has always helpd my hand. He always said it is for one of two reasons. To stop me shopping, and to stop me killing myself walking out in front of a car to get to a shop! LOL

Solitaire Wed 19-Dec-18 11:48:52

Not for me! Holding hands I feel is restrictive, like holding a child's hand to keep them safe and out of trouble..... or just loving them, but not for adults.

annep Wed 19-Dec-18 12:23:00

Wilma and Kerno...so sweet.

Mycatisahacker Wed 19-Dec-18 12:27:25

Always hold hands! Can’t imagine not doing so. We are 50.

Gilly1952 Wed 19-Dec-18 12:42:20

The young couples nowadays are too pre-occupied holding their mobile phones and texting!

sodapop Wed 19-Dec-18 12:48:05

I agree Gilly1952 times change.

<<hugs>> for everyone who wants one at Christmas tchsmile

cangran Wed 19-Dec-18 12:52:02

I am envious of couples who hold hands and generally seem to be 'together'. My husband speeds on ahead of me; now I accept this is the way it is (if I try to keep up, I have to dodge people, trees, objects in the way anyway) but I do still feel a touch of sadness when I see how close some older couples seem to be.

minxie Wed 19-Dec-18 14:23:42

We always hold hands when out, and it’s always instigated by him indoors. It feels odd now if we don’t as we have together 20 years. long may it continue