Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Older couples holding hands

(84 Posts)
Fennel Tue 18-Dec-18 21:51:21

I was reading a report about a couple in their 80s being rescued after a car accident. They were holding hands.
We live in a busy NE town and often see older couples walking round holding hands. Or arms. We don't see the younger ones doing the same.
I think it's lovely, even though perhaps it's to give support on the uneven pavements here. We've started to do the same, grateful to have eachother.

codfather Wed 19-Dec-18 23:39:40

Every man should hold his wife's hand when out walking! Stops her nipping off into a shop and spending money! wink

Allykat1946 Wed 19-Dec-18 23:44:43

My husband and I are in our seventies and we have always held hands etc....

BlueSapphire Thu 20-Dec-18 08:26:10

DH and I always held hands. I do miss it and him dreadfully. Was thinking that as I sat in the cinema on my own yesterday watching a film he would have loved.

BlueSky Thu 20-Dec-18 08:51:50

BlueSapphire I can imagine.Sadly we know that it's going to happen and one or other will be left to cope alone...flowers

varian Thu 20-Dec-18 09:13:41

The couple in the OP'story had just had a car accident. It is at times like that handholding is most needed.

Once on my way back from holiday I saw my neighbours walking down the lane holding hands, something I'd never seen them do in all the years we'd known them. I later discovered they'd been on their way to console a friend who had suffered a terrible tragedy.

When we heard what had happened to him we also visited him. I hugged him and he wouldn't let go. The hug went on for a very long time. He so needed physical contact at that dreadful time.

MagicWriter2016 Thu 20-Dec-18 18:46:02

We always hold hands, especially in busy places. It helps with my anxiety and balance. I feel comfortable and safe holding hubbies hand and we often seek out each other’s hands when sitting watching tv or lying in bed.

Keep on holding hands for as long as you can as the day may come when you can’t do it anymore ?

Happysexagenarian Fri 21-Dec-18 00:19:36

DH and I always hold hands, been doing it for 40 years and never want to stop. The warmth of his hand in mine is the most wonderful feeling. We also like to snuggle up on the sofa in the evenings, though these days I have competition from the dog!!

Breda Sat 22-Dec-18 18:00:43

If we are not holding hands it’s because I have hold of my husband’s arm. I find it unthinkable that I would walk beside him without holding his arm or hand.