Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

For once it was nice to be invisible.

(61 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 21-Jul-19 12:28:45

As I mentioned on another thread, I've just done a speed awareness course. Everyone assured me it would be fine, interesting and informative etc., and they were right.

But.....I was the oldest one there by quite a long chalk. We sat at round tables and there were six men and one very glamorous young women on mine. We introduced ourselves but nobody actually spoke to me. When we took part in group discussions, the men barged in first with their opinions then turned to Miss Fancy Pants and asked, 'What do you think?' hmm

I just left them to it. It wasn't a competition or a test so there was nothing for me to gain by joining in. I'd had an early start, they didn't even give you a complimentary coffee so I couldn't be arsedbothered to comment apart from the moment when one of the men demonstrated the hand clap he likes to do when annoyed by another driver. I pointed out he would have to take both hands off the wheel to do that!

His withering glance confirmed he thought I was just some old duck who shouldn't even be on the road.

He was happy to boast it was his third course though. He looked about thirty!!

grin grin

MissAdventure Wed 24-Jul-19 13:05:05

Even prisoners get a cup of tea..

merlotgran Wed 24-Jul-19 13:23:27

she wasn’t served tea or coffee!

I wasn't expected to be served anything.

Quite capable of helping myself.

Bbbface Wed 24-Jul-19 14:07:29

Unbelievable to be indignant in this scenario. You exceeded the speed Limit by at least 10%

I for one am bloody pleased that tea and coffee wasn’t available! Bring your own if so important to you!grin

merlotgran Wed 24-Jul-19 15:17:14

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

PamGeo Wed 24-Jul-19 15:18:43

Bbface , you sound as though you just fancy a row any squabble will do just so long as you can provoke someone. If something in particular is making you unhappy and disagreeable then please post and ask for advice or just rant and get it off your chest.
Why read a post and completely mis-read the contents? why read the comments and mis-read them.? I don't know, but I'm sorry you are feeling so aggrieved and niggly about everything said.
This isn't my post, it isn't anything to do with me except it caught my eye as I too have had moments of being unnoticed and I've put it down to being slightly older and plumper than I use to be .... actually, A LOT plumper and older ... I just find some comments on GN to be unkind and unnecessary occasionally , I usually ignore them as others often address this but today I'm in pain and less even tempered.

annep1 Wed 24-Jul-19 18:30:27

Nothing to do with the post PamGeo but sorry about your pain. It does make one grumpy- living with pain!

Bbbface Thu 25-Jul-19 08:49:27

grin

PamGeo Thu 25-Jul-19 15:02:23

Thanks annepl, I hate being grumpy but sometimes it's just too much chewing to bite my lip grin

nice to see you smiling Bbbface

annep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 18:42:50

Your grump was completely understandable!

PamGeo Fri 26-Jul-19 16:19:54

Thank you