Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Growing old

(9 Posts)
dahlia Fri 22-Nov-19 15:25:43

A lovely quote from today's "Times" letter page: "You don't stop living because you are growing older, you grow older because you stop living." I have several friends who seem to have decided they are old because they have celebrated a 70th birthday, they could learn from this! smile

Greeneyedgirl Fri 22-Nov-19 15:40:04

I agree dahlia that life is very precious and we should live each day to the full.

I don't mind the label "old", because that is what numerically I am, but I don't let it define me. Some arn't as lucky to have survived so long.

Unfortunately when some reach 70 they are not in the best of health, which can limit activities than fitter older folk can enjoy. It's not always a choice is it?

Teetime Fri 22-Nov-19 15:43:51

Use it or lose it though - keep dancing!!!

varian Wed 18-Dec-19 11:07:34

According to research by the ONS, the happiest people are between the ages of 65 and 74

inews.co.uk/news/uk/life-milestones-parents-grandparents-married-divorced-retirement-ons-statistics-1343602

annep1 Wed 18-Dec-19 11:31:36

This is the most contented stage of life..apart from it's the last!

elastic Wed 18-Dec-19 13:06:28

In a funny kind of way , I am finding life at seventyeight not too bad at all. I think it's because I don't expect so much of myself. You do get tired and so you learn to pace yourself more than you did in the past. You stop sweating the small stuff (ie doing loads of housework all the time) You let yourself enjoy some relaxation.

jeanie99 Sun 14-Jun-20 09:51:06

There is no problem with growing older it's the baggage we collect along the way in having health issues.
If you can still manage to still do all the things in your life that makes it good then it's wonderful.
Unfortunately for some major health issues get in the way of leading the life they want.
I'm 75 yrs old and have a number of health issues but I still manage to do most things I want and have a good life.
I'm a positive person and would do more but I'm been told to realize my limitations. Some days I totally ignore that advice but hey it's my life and I'm living it.

Puzzled Sat 03-Oct-20 11:58:05

One advantage of getting older; a bus pass.
We can go for free to places where we would have problems finding parking, and can relax on the journey and look at the countryside.

You don't have to get involved in rush hour travel

On my retirement course, we were told "You are going on the longest holiday of your life"
So relax, enjoy and try to do the things that previously you did not have time for.
At a combined age of 161 we are doing those things!

Being retired, you no longer have to worry about being furloughed or made redundant.
There is a lot to be said for it!
It is far better than the alternative!

sparklingsilver28 Fri 09-Oct-20 23:48:08

I do so agree with you - growing old ain't no fun but I do enjoy it. Best time of life, do what you like when you like. And tomorrow for what forgotten to do today. What does it matter.

Took a leaf from my DMIL who said to me one day, she then seventy-five and myself twenty-six, "you know you will kill yourself, and for what, since the dirt you sweep up today will be needed swept up by someone else when you have". Wise woman. You certainly live and learn!!