Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Growing old

(30 Posts)
dahlia Fri 22-Nov-19 15:25:43

A lovely quote from today's "Times" letter page: "You don't stop living because you are growing older, you grow older because you stop living." I have several friends who seem to have decided they are old because they have celebrated a 70th birthday, they could learn from this! smile

Mishy Mon 13-Sep-21 12:15:23

I am 60 and my DH 70 despite heart problems he is so active unlike many of his age, an ex rugby player/referee we both now do Circuit Training 3 times a week and a nod to his stiffening up, pilates twice a week, still go away in our motorhome and take our dogs on long walks most days. His outlook is getting a little set on some ideas and his deafness is nearly complete (always been hard of hearing) but he has an interest in what goes on around him and is good company. We are both lucky.

Daisend1 Mon 13-Sep-21 12:49:39

.How do other G N's respond when asked their age Should I be flattered when told ''You don't 'look it''.
How should I look ? . Well past the age of 'coy'and blushing but feel a need to respond.

annodomini Mon 13-Sep-21 12:57:43

I'm also 80 and in possession of my hair and teeth (well, I've paid for them). It hasn't been the best year to turn 80. My birthday fell on the day a new lockdown was imposed - November 5th. So the family gathering was postponed. I'm hoping to see them all together this time round.
The garden that was supposed to be easy to maintain has proved to be a nightmare owing to two flooding episodes in five years, destroying my lovingly planted perennials and bringing down a lot of nasty weeds. I'm not up to much in the way of hard labour! I count my blessings: friends and family - the GC are all making strides into a successful future.

Shandy57 Mon 13-Sep-21 12:58:15

I'm feeling all of my 64 years today, I have a loose back tooth and think my only option will have to have it out sad

I lost the tooth in front of it when I crunched on a Polo fifteen years ago and it was irreparable. It really hurt on Saturday but isn't as bad today, hopefully I'll make it through to my appointment on 6 October. At least the days of tying string and slamming the door are over smile