Gransnet forums

Food

Favourite food

(39 Posts)
granoffour Thu 11-May-17 16:11:55

Apparently it's Eat What you Want Day. What a shame I've only just realised. Still I'll do my best to make up for lost time grin. So, what would your favourite meal be, if you could have anything. Starter, main and dessert?
S: Calamari rings
M: Fish and chips
D: Chocolate brownie with salted caramel ice cream.

Followed with a coffee. With skimmed milk of course. grin

grannylyn65 Thu 11-May-17 16:31:22

Prawn cocktail, tournados rossini , no room for pud!!

ninathenana Thu 11-May-17 16:52:21

Patè (any)
Steak sautè potatoes mushroom and peas
Lime cheesecake

tanith Thu 11-May-17 17:26:37

I also love prawn cocktail out of fashion though it may be.
Ribeye steak with peppered sauce, fries, tomatoes and green beans.
Cheesecake with Rasberries and Vanilla bean pod ice cream.

rosesarered Thu 11-May-17 17:33:33

Prawn or crab starter

Mild chicken curry/rice

Creme caramel with a swish of double cream

grannylyn65 Thu 11-May-17 18:14:14

might manage a small panacotta !

shysal Thu 11-May-17 19:07:45

I would settle for just a huge platter of cheeses and biscuits.

PoshGran Thu 11-May-17 19:14:22

Smoked salmon with sliced lemon.

Fillet steak (medium/well done please), a very few thin chips, green mixed salad with a very light dressing served separately,French mustard.

Raspberry sorbet.

Strong, sweet, black coffee & a bottle glass of Drambuie!

I'm not washing up or driving am I? grin

kittylester Thu 11-May-17 19:16:00

Dh has gone out to eat so I am having lamb chops, new potatoes and minted peas. My favourite solo meal.

Tomorrow is our treat night when we have mama potatoes onion rings roasted tomatoes with rib eye steaks. Never have room for pudding but it would be Eton Mess!

Jalima1108 Thu 11-May-17 20:04:01

Well, I didn't realise!

DH offered to cook today which was kind so I have not had exactly what I want - has anyone else had mashed Jersey Royal potatoes?
No? I thought not. He carefully peeled them all as well smile

Never mind, I can now watch Masterchef

Christinefrance Thu 11-May-17 20:45:41

S - Roasted vegetable tart
M - Lamb in any form
P - Ice cream with hot chocolate sauce
Master chef is getting very pretentious and Greg Wallace is annoying. smile]

Chewbacca Thu 11-May-17 21:06:06

S no thanks
M Seafood platter with salad (crab, mussels, prawns, shrimps, langoustines, smoked salmon)
D white chocolate creme brulee

I know just where to go for the seafood platter but it's 300 miles away from me sad so I'll just have egg and chips.

rosesarered Thu 11-May-17 22:42:01

If all else fails.......sausage egg and chips is very acceptable.grin

Chewbacca Thu 11-May-17 22:44:07

Roses, my favourite meal ever, is egg and chips! and I wonder why I'm so fat!

matson Thu 11-May-17 22:47:12

Leek and potato soup.
roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings
banana split.

rosesarered Thu 11-May-17 22:47:47

Haha! I should get off this thread it's making me feel peckish.

Chewy if you are weight watching......cut the number of fried eggs down to three!

Chewbacca Thu 11-May-17 22:49:46

grin

Hopehope Fri 12-May-17 00:14:02

Starter, not sure what it is called but Son makes a wonderful one
it seems to be roasted mushroom with pinenuts served on a bed of rocket.

Main : Pan fried Salmon with roasted mixed Mediterranean veg, ciabatta rolls for mopping up

Cheese and Biscuits

Coffee with cream, and some chocolate mints

absent Fri 12-May-17 07:21:58

I have quite a few favourite foods – hardly surprising as I have spent most of my professional life writing mainly cookbooks. However, I have never been especially lucky with birthday parties. I spent my twenty-first in hospital following emergency major surgery and, as it turned out, shortly before more emergency major surgery. I celebrated with my first drink of 25 ml water, which I made last half an hour, and watching the rest of the ward eat the cake that the hospital kitchen had kindly made and my visitors drinking the fizz that they had brought with them.

I had arranged a party for my thirtieth and the fridge was groaning with my favourites, which included asparagus (my birthday is in May), smoked salmon, crayfish, a home-made crab Napoléon and caviare, as well as Champagne. The night before the party, my then husband came home from work and told me that he had been made redundant, which rather took the edge of everything and completely ruined my appetite.

I broke both bones in my lower right leg shortly before my fortieth and the grand plan for a feast rather went out the window. My lovely friends rallied round and helped out – I was discharged from hospital the day before – but it wasn't quite the splendid occasion I had had in mind.

These days, I just make carrot cake or lolly cake for the grandchildren's birthdays. That works!

Greyduster Fri 12-May-17 07:37:08

Smoked mackerel pate with very thin toast.
Pan fried sea bass fillets with samphire butter sauce and wilted spinach.
A bit of Roquefort and some nice crackers.

gillybob Fri 12-May-17 07:48:46

I will have exactly what roses is having. Thank you.

We had egg and chips for dinner last night. It started as a joke when I asked DH what he wanted to eat. We were both at work fairly late and I am fed up with thinking of stuff to eat. He always says "I'll have anything" when I ask (he won't ) so I said "egg and bloody chips then" and that was that......

I think he was a bit surprised when I put them in front of him (with plenty bread and butter and Heinz tomato ketchup) but we thoroughly enjoyed it. smile

Anya Fri 12-May-17 07:57:57

I can't remember what we had for dinner last night shock mind blank

Auntieflo Fri 12-May-17 08:51:54

Absent, you certainly have had some memorable significant birthdays. Mine is also in May, many happy's. ?

annsixty Fri 12-May-17 09:11:49

Pretty please kitty what are mama potatoes?
Are they a variety, a special way of cooking them or something of your own devising?

Teetime Fri 12-May-17 09:22:38

Pate and crispy toast

Prawn Linguine

Chocolate Ice cream (a really pricey one)

2 gallons of Sauvignon Blanc