Gransnet forums

Food

Foods exclusive to your area.

(113 Posts)
Daddima Fri 01-Dec-17 12:47:09

My neighbour was telling me she was making her favourite dinner from her childhood in Manchester, of rag pudding ( mince or stew in a suet pastry), and Manchester tart ( which I’d seen a couple of times on Come Dine With Me).
I could only think of Scottish delicacies like Lorne sausage or haggis, but I know you can get Finnan haddock , Arbroath smokies,and Forfar bridies in other parts of Scotland. I can’t think of any particular recipes, mind you.
What’s local to your area?

Greyduster Fri 01-Dec-17 17:23:00

Doncaster butterscotch. I don’t know if they still make it, but my father used to bring it back for me when he went to the races!

SueDonim Fri 01-Dec-17 17:57:23

Butteries/rowies from NE Scotland. www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/butteries.php

Devon splits, from the West Country.

loopyloo Fri 01-Dec-17 18:04:42

Oh I don't think pikelets and crumpets are the some. Crumpets are thicker more puffy things and pikelets as husband cooks them are flatter, more like small pancakes.
I suppose the only food local to here east London is eel pie and mash. There is a shop in the High Street that sells it.

Nelliemoser Fri 01-Dec-17 18:28:29

Staffordshire Oatcakes. a sort of Oat pancake. They do go up the "M6 corridor" to Manchester and Lancashire.
Then there is Hendersons relish Essentially a Sheffield version of Worcester sauce.
Knowledge of Henderson's is so limited outside Yorkshire that Lewisham MP Jim Dowd misunderstood it as a copy of the anchovy-based Lea and Perrins and described it as "parasitic packaging" in an attempt to pass off one sauce as another.
,Later, he was corrected by comments from Sheffield MPs Paul Blomfield and Nick Clegg. Dowd later toured the Henderson's factory in a peace-making gesture.

Sheffield is VERY VERY serious about its Hendersons Relish. Mock it at your peril. grin grin

Greyduster Fri 01-Dec-17 18:41:04

Hendo’s is the very relish that I referred to in my post, Nellie. And yes the city does take it seriously. My son in law’s firm had an important anniversary a couple of years ago and ordered an anniversary edition of Henderson’s Relish to be sent to their clients! However, I have a sneaking feeling that in recent years, they have altered the recipe because it is not quite as rich and dark as it used to be. It is the subject of considerable debate among aficionados! grin

DanniRae Fri 01-Dec-17 19:53:00

Can I claim bubble and squeak for South East London because I can't think of anything else?

Nannylovesshopping Fri 01-Dec-17 19:56:01

Oysters from Mersea Island

merlotgran Fri 01-Dec-17 20:00:22

Bloody eels angry

Greyduster Fri 01-Dec-17 20:00:27

Yorkshire Parkin.

KaazaK Fri 01-Dec-17 20:46:55

Lincolnshire sausages, chine (a cooked ham with parsley running through it) which is traditionally served with raspberry vinegar apparently, Plum loaf, Poachers cheese. We also have Dambusters cheese (after 617 squadron).

Charleygirl Fri 01-Dec-17 20:52:47

Thanks paddyann my mother used roast beef on the occasions we had that for Sunday lunch. She also I remember used a lot of onions.

Chewbacca Fri 01-Dec-17 22:11:49

Of the 3 areas that I've lived in there have been 3 different names for a bread bun: muffins; oven bottoms and barm cakes. All from NW areas. Are there any other local names across the UK for these?

lizzypopbottle Fri 01-Dec-17 22:24:13

Lancashire hotpot, Liverpool's lob scouse, both served with pickled red cabbage. Sausage and mash with onion sauce. My mum sometimes made a rolled suet pudding with left over ham or bacon off the bone and onions. No idea if it had an official name. Roly poly pudding was also made with suet pastry and steamed in a cloth but it was spread with jam before rolling and served with custard. All these were cheap to make and stick-to-your-ribs filling!

tidyskatemum Fri 01-Dec-17 22:30:27

The Middlesbrough parmo - a wonderful concoction of deep fried chicken, white sauce and cheese that will clog your arteries as you eat it!

Granny23 Fri 01-Dec-17 22:49:43

Oh No! not the Stovies argument again. My DM & DH had totally different recipes for stovies and each refused to eat the other's version. Mum's comprised potatoes with either gravy and left overs from Sunday roast or stew - too mushy according to DF. Dad's had the same, boiled till tender potato squares, with chopped up fried square sliced sausage, fried onions, the fat and juices from the frying pan poured over and a handful of pin head oatmeal- too greasy for Mum's taste and she never ate or cooked with onions as she hated them.

Sister and I were happy with both types and always got extra as DM or DF refused their share.

MawBroon Fri 01-Dec-17 22:57:13

Selkirk Bannocks from my hame toon.

Chewbacca Fri 01-Dec-17 23:06:06

What are Selkirk Bannocks Maw? Pies?

nightowl Fri 01-Dec-17 23:28:11

Yorkshire Relish (Henderson’s) has the advantage of being vegan, unlike Worcestershire sauce. As well as being far more delicious.

Or as ‘Foods of England puts it:

A piquant cold sauce based on pureed pickled fruits (dates &c) rather than the rotted fish of Worcestershire sauce or Harvey's.

Nelliemoser Fri 01-Dec-17 23:39:47

Laverbread in Wales is a delicacy made from one type of seaweed and nothing much to do with bread. I think it is an aquired taste. It is supposed to be quite nutritious though.
It appears to be mainly popular in Welsh and Irish coastal areas .

Nelliemoser Fri 01-Dec-17 23:49:48

Greyduster and NotTooOld What is more widely know as crumpets were definately called pikelets when I was in Leicester.

This is back to the many different names for bread rolls up and down the country.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Dec-17 23:51:51

and clotted cream whitewave!
'Saffron cake' - also known as Friday Dough Cake at the local baker's.

Chewbacca Sat 02-Dec-17 00:04:05

Pikelets were thinner than crumpets, but thicker than oat cakes, in the part of the NW where I grew up.

BBbevan Sat 02-Dec-17 01:20:06

I remember when we moved from Wales to Hertfordshire, my mother asking for faggots in the butchers. Oh,no, madam said the butcher ' savoury ducks' I think most people call them faggots these days

Greyduster Sat 02-Dec-17 08:16:08

Spot on, chewbacca.

Christinefrance Sat 02-Dec-17 08:57:32

Yes I remember them being called savoury ducks as well. Agree with the crumpet v pikelet, crumpets are thicker.
Here in rural France a traditional dish is andouillet which is a tripe sausage and it is disgusting !!