Gransnet forums

Food

Fish fingers

(68 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 15-Aug-19 22:47:18

I was in M&S on Tues and bought their own make of 'Wheat free' fish fingers. A box of 9 is £3.
I've had them once before and, although not allergic to gluten, these are far and away the best I've ever tasted and came top in a recent blind tasting from all brands sold in major supermarkets.
Meaty cuts of cod (not bits stuck together) in a very crisp coating.
I also bought a pack of mini-submarine rolls £1.50 for 6, which have a semolina crust...very nice.
Instead of putting the oven on I cooked 3 pin a ceramic pan which I wiped with a smear of oil.
One fits into a sub roll exactly and I had 3, smeared with butter and a dollop of good old Heinz ketchup plus.a small bowl of coleslaw on the side.
It might be a nice cheap but nutritious tea/supper for children with a few oven fries and tub of mushy peas.
A change from sausages, burgers or nuggets which often have nitrates and nitrites added.
Waitrose chunky fingers are nowhere near as nice and they're floppy.
Has anyone tried the M&S version?

GabriellaG54 Thu 15-Aug-19 22:48:03

pin in

callgirl1 Thu 15-Aug-19 22:55:00

No, I haven`t, can`t now as our M&S has closed down. I`ve always had, and loved, Birdseye, but they are getting a tad expensive now, at £5 for 12. I`ve tried some other makes, but wasn`t impressed.

SueDonim Thu 15-Aug-19 22:59:44

Are those the fishfingers that are kind of square instead of flat? If so, then yes we've had them and they are nice.

gillybob Thu 15-Aug-19 23:03:41

Well Gabriella I do love a fish finger myself and those little submarine rolls are delish..... but my absolute favourites are still Captain BirdsEye. I stick with your tried and tested method of butter and Heinz ketchup . smile licking lips at the thought. The DGC are not impressed .

GabriellaG54 Thu 15-Aug-19 23:22:19

Yes SueDonim
Squarish with crispy coating. Yum. ?

Minniemoo Thu 15-Aug-19 23:30:32

I have been championing M&S fish fingers for years . Just gorgeous. Once you've tried them there's no going back.

Coolgran65 Fri 16-Aug-19 00:26:49

I make fish finger sandwiches/baguettes for all of us when we have dgc. Delish.

SueDonim Fri 16-Aug-19 00:27:10

Hmm, in that case, GabriellaG54 M&S fishfingers in mini submarine rolls could be on the menu next week. grin

GabriellaG54 Fri 16-Aug-19 03:17:06

Minniemoo
These are not the M&S ordinary fish fingers, they're 'Wheat Free' for people who are gluten intolerant so the coating isn't breadcrumbs.
I've not tried their 'ordinary' fish fingers...yet.

I've had fish 3 times this week ??? ? ?

I did lots of peeling, chopping and freezing of veg last night so that during the week I can defrost only the amount I want without having to prep it first.
I recently decided it's the best way for me as I was throwing away soft bendy carrots, sprouting potatoes and yellowing broccoli. hmmsad

BlueBelle Fri 16-Aug-19 05:20:50

M and S food is too expensive for a lot of people I ve never bought any food from there

kittylester Fri 16-Aug-19 07:23:58

I love a fish finger sandwich and am gluten intolerant so will try those.

We enjoy M&S wheat free coated chicken breasts with oven chips and coleslaw for a quick meal if we are late home.

I dont think M&S is expensive
considering the quality and is often on offer. I always buy their 3 for £10 offers.

RosieLeah Fri 16-Aug-19 07:44:17

Fish finger sandwich...I've never tired that, must give it a go. Sausage sandwich works well...with HP sauce.

I used to shop regularly in M&S...can't beat them for quality, but now I find their shops too claustrophobic.

PamelaJ1 Fri 16-Aug-19 08:21:47

Are they available in the new plastic food range that M&S have launched?

MawB Fri 16-Aug-19 08:35:53

Fish finger sandwiches have long been a favourite, ranging from Birds Eye in Mothers Pride to goujons in wraps or spelt sourdough and all the variations in between!
But the better the ingredients, the better the “sandwich”.

Bathsheba Fri 16-Aug-19 08:36:27

plastic food range hmm. I do hope you mean 'plastic-free' grin

Lisagran Fri 16-Aug-19 08:45:19

Perhaps PamelaJ1 meant the plastic toy foods that M and S are giving away this summer, Bathsheba? Lot of criticism of this - “plastic tat”

Teetime Fri 16-Aug-19 08:47:31

I like the Waitrose ones.

kittylester Fri 16-Aug-19 09:30:03

They arent gf though, teetime. sad

Lessismore Fri 16-Aug-19 09:32:29

Plastic food?

KatyK Fri 16-Aug-19 10:06:32

I haven't tried the M&S ones but I will now. Thanks.

humptydumpty Fri 16-Aug-19 10:17:36

This is great news as DD is currently being tested for coeliac disease and if positive will have to go GF - so good to know there are delicious ff out there that are GF! Thanks for the post!!

Minniemoo Fri 16-Aug-19 10:23:26

I shall try them Gabriella!

As for the toys they're giving away. I love them. Many of the items are cardboard. They will certainly not be played with once either as I don't intend to allow my grandchildren anywhere near them.

EllanVannin Fri 16-Aug-19 10:32:52

It's ages since I bought fish fingers but now realise that a fish finger sandwich can be quite tasty. I'll look out for them when I'm in M&S again.
I don't think their food is any more expensive than anywhere else to be honest and one thing for sure, there's far less waste as the quality is better so therefore more enjoyable.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Aug-19 10:36:46

My guilty food pleasure is a fish finger sandwich, will try these when I am in M & S next week.

(The little shop is mainly cardboard/paper my GC love it)