Gransnet forums

Food

This about wine, not food

(69 Posts)
ExD Mon 21-Jun-21 10:18:13

I am not a wine drinker but like to have some 'in' to offer guests or to take as a gift when invited out. (-when- we're permitted to be asked 'out').
How do I know if the wine I pick from the supermarket shelf is decent stuff or rubbish. I usually go by price and whether or not the bottle has a dimple in the bottom.
I tried our local wine shop but he seemed only interested in selling me some very expensive red, after confusing me completely by giving me several small tots to taste.
He did spend a lot of time with me, trying to educate me about bouquet and how to taste with the back of your tongue.
I didn't want to be rude and leave empty handed so I bought a bottle and we had it with our Sunday roast yesterday. It tasted horrible.
I'd have felt embarrassed if I'd given it to someone else.

Tizliz Mon 21-Jun-21 10:22:30

I would never give an expensive bottle unless I knew the recipient liked it, people’s tastes vary so much. Go for a lighter wine at £7-10 then it will suit everyone - or if you are coming here a single malt will do nicely!

Ellianne Mon 21-Jun-21 10:26:43

Naked Wines are good for advice, selection and price. We avoid supermarkets unless we know they have one particular rosé we adore.

BigBertha1 Mon 21-Jun-21 10:30:38

I go by this for my purchases

Whites-
Pino Grigio is light and refreshing
Sauvignon Blanc has a more complex flavour and dont pay more than £7 a bottle. For a special occasion a New Zealand Sauvignon - Cloudy Bay is lovely.
Lindemans and Marlborough are reliable producers.

For reds I like the full bodied so avoid Merlot like the plague and Caberbnet Sauvignon but if you like a lighter red they are fine.
Pinotage, Shiraz and Malbecs are our favourites usually South African or Chilean. Again dont need to pay more than £7.

Sainsbury Taste the Difference wines all seem to be good and good value.

Lots of people love Aldi wine but I have spent many an occasion at friends politely sipping it and looking for a convenient house plant to pour it into.

If you are pushing the boat out a subscription to Laithwaites or Naked Wines (same thing but smaller producers) will help guide you through the grapes etc.

I hope that helps- no need to spend lots on an individual bottle unless you want to.

kittylester Mon 21-Jun-21 11:09:13

Dh says that everything tastes nice by the 2nd glass!!

Pittcity Mon 21-Jun-21 11:32:39

Try Lidl. They have specially selected wines that have scores out of 100 and descriptions underneath. We try those scoring 85 or above and haven't had a dud yet. All at reasonable prices.

JaneJudge Mon 21-Jun-21 11:36:42

we use naked wines too
but the co-op have a really nice selection too. My current favourite is Picpoul de Pinet chilled

timetogo2016 Mon 21-Jun-21 11:43:12

I bought a red wine from Sainsburys called Penguin,only cost £385 and i really do like it and it sells out very quickly,it`s around 13-14% proof.
Also available in a white.
You can only get it in Sainsburys too.

Pittcity Mon 21-Jun-21 11:44:31

How much Timetogo???

timetogo2016 Mon 21-Jun-21 11:50:53

Three pounds and 85p Pittcity.

Elegran Mon 21-Jun-21 12:06:41

Phew! I thought you were pushing the boat out a bit paying three hundred and eight-five pounds. That would have to be seriously nice!

foxie48 Mon 21-Jun-21 12:39:49

Wine is very much a personal taste but the wine critics say you get better value and a much better wine by paying a little more than the £5/6.00 bottle. If taking a bottle as a thank you I'd pay round about the £10.00 mark. I've had some nice bottles from M&S. Recently, I've had friends bring me a decent prosecco or Cava which when chilled is a nice summery drink.

Poppyred Mon 21-Jun-21 13:11:43

I’ve said this before. Have yet to find a decent red wine in Aldi or Lidl for a reasonable price. ((£5 to £6).

Tesco always has very drinkable wine for around this price on offer.

Nannarose Mon 21-Jun-21 13:38:25

I think Aldi & Lidl are either for those who aren't too bothered, or for those who really know their stuff. Co-op is a bit more reliable.

We are very lucky with a local wine merchant who know they won't survive if they don't look after their customers. We get almost all of our wine from them £6-9 a bottle unless we are pushing the boat out, and all good. Shame yours isn't more sensible.

I would certainly ask your friends for advice "what would go nicely with......"

If you can be bothered, the weekend magazines tend to review wines, so you could pick up a hint or two. Otherwise I would go to a 'good' supermarket and pay £8-10 a bottle. You probably won't get a bargain, but it won't be duff.

Welshwife Mon 21-Jun-21 13:43:13

Usually more expensive red wines need to breathe for 20-30 minutes before drinking - we usually open the bottle and pour a little into a glass - it can make a huge difference to the flavour.

jusnoneed Mon 21-Jun-21 14:07:30

I find either Hardy's, Wolf Blass or McGuigan are a good basic wines (I drink white) and like Pinot from either, around £5/£6 a bottle. Recently I've been buying Hardys VR Pinot from Tesco.

MissChateline Mon 21-Jun-21 14:16:28

I’m really lucky as my wife is a connoisseur of good wines and as an interest subject she studied for an took several exams up to level 3 with the wines and sprits organisation. This apparently would allow her to be a sommelier! I so enjoyed the study process as she had to buy and taste a large variety of very different wines and make notes about them.
So when we go wine shopping or ordering in a restaurant I get the full history of the vineyard and a description of the growing conditions down to which side of the valley the grapes were grown.
What I have learned is that a good wine doesn’t have to be expensive if you have a bit of knowledge.

Redhead56 Mon 21-Jun-21 14:58:40

Tesco do a Blush wine which is delicious Pino Grigio is a nice white Merlot is a nice soft red wine. Each about 12% vol alcohol if I drink a wine less than 11% it gives me a headache.

Redhead56 Mon 21-Jun-21 15:02:50

Penguin merlot from Sainsbury’s is nice.

Maggiemaybe Mon 21-Jun-21 16:25:19

It's mainly down to personal taste of course, but it's interesting to see that there are others who don't buy into the Aldi wine story. I'd heard so much about their fabulous wines that I ordered a few bottles online during lockdown, and we didn't get one that I would buy again.

I'd agree that Naked Wines are good, but I don't think you can just buy wine from them without signing up to their membership, which involves a monthly subscription.

Sainsburys have a 25% off deal this week on any six bottles over £5, and the customer reviews on their website are generally helpful.

kittylester Mon 21-Jun-21 16:28:23

It's not any 6 - it's from selected wines. I found out to my cost!!

Maggiemaybe Mon 21-Jun-21 16:33:44

From 16th June 2021 until and including 24th June 2021 *Excludes bottles under £5 in England or £7 in Wales. Minimum unit pricing applies in Wales. Excludes bottles 200ml and under, all Sainsbury’s House wine, all fortified wine, boxed wine and gift sets.

Ah yes, sorry. Sainsburys house wine is excluded as well.

Ellianne Mon 21-Jun-21 16:50:34

With Naked Wines it's not quite like a subscription in the old fashioned way. You get the amount off your next order of wines and if you want to cancel they give it all back.

JaneJudge Mon 21-Jun-21 16:56:59

Ellianne

With Naked Wines it's not quite like a subscription in the old fashioned way. You get the amount off your next order of wines and if you want to cancel they give it all back.

and you pick the wines you actually want to drink!

Maggiemaybe Mon 21-Jun-21 17:05:08

Well yes. We pay in £30 a month and buy a case of wine when we've enough in the kitty. Or top it up if need be - you need to spend at least £100 for free delivery. What I'm saying is that it doesn't seem very useful to ExD, who just wants an occasional bottle.