Gransnet forums

Food

Feeding the grandkids. Man cannot live on toast (and cocopops) alone!

(142 Posts)
Grammajules Wed 23-Jun-21 14:38:29

I have 3 grandsons, a 7 and 4 yr old of one daughter and a 6 yr old with the other. In the holidays and some weekends they all come for a few days and are lovely apart from eating.
The 4 yr old will eat hardly any ‘ proper’ meals at all. By that I mean any veg ( even disguised) or food he is not familiar with. He will not even try it. So he exists on toast, fish fingers, the usual rubbish but does eat fruit. His mum is a good cook and just accepts he is like this. She works full time in a stressful job so I do understand. His brother is a bit better and will at least try new things now.
I know in my day if you didn’t eat it you wouldn’t get treats but he doesn’t seem to care.
Now I am not a formidable gran but it does wear me down and I know he is only 4 and his tastes haven’t matured and I don’t make it a big deal as that will just make it worse but an hour later after not eating his meal he will say I’m hungry…
I don’t want to resort to bribing him, but just looking for any ideas to help him try different things. I just don’t want him eating rubbish all the time he is here. I know grandparents are here to treat them but any experiences or ideas appreciated.

polnan Thu 24-Jun-21 10:59:23

As a child, I was always hungry, and would eat almost anything, though I did hate cabbage and many a tear shed as I had to eat it.. or go without,,,

mind you, I am talking 1940`s and onwards,, rationing and stuff..

imo , and I won`t be humble in this, imo too much stuff for everyone, hence.... kids and obesity!

Ealdemodor Thu 24-Jun-21 11:01:18

My three year old granddaughter seems to live on fish fingers!
However, I believe that making a fuss about food causes life-long problems. A person’s taste should be allowed to evolve naturally.

Coco51 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:02:25

I think there was a study of toddlers left to eat whatever they wanted and over a certain period they had actually balanced their nutritional needs instinctively. It’s a skill us adults have lost

Nannan2 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:03:08

Hithere- i think one poster was saying the MAN, was like that when he was a CHILD though!

Mamma66 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:03:16

I used to do a ‘bits and bobs’ plate. Tiny ham or cheese sandwiches with the crusts cut off, fruit, cherry tomatoes, a small handful of crisps, tiny yoghurts etc. It actually varied daily, but was a small plate of tasty morsels, nothing too overwhelming. All finger foods and I would introduce a new food each week. Not sure it would work for a child on the autistic spectrum, but it works with most kids. Good luck

Spec1alk Thu 24-Jun-21 11:07:14

I remember my grandchildren having a very limited diet, their mum didn’t really know how to cook! When they came to visit me I got them involved in meal prep cooking and serving. They gradually began to eat and enjoy the food they were offered - but don’t expect instant change, if it works it will be gradual. Good luck!

pandapatch Thu 24-Jun-21 11:11:06

I try not to worry about it, my grandson only eats here once a week at most, so figure it doesn't really matter (though I do try). We too have success with finger food (he loves baby sweetcorn) and also anything he can dip in ketchup (including broccoli). Nanny also has a treat cupboard and putting a satsuma, carrot sticks etc in there immediately reclassifies them as a treat!!

Oofy Thu 24-Jun-21 11:12:14

When my dd was little, she was ultra-picky. How could her father and I have a child that didn’t like onions or mushrooms?? At one stage, about 5-7 years, she would only eat plain pasta with nothing- at all- on it for meals. If we were away on holiday and went into a restaurant, I would order plain pasta for her, most restaurants would do that, but the kitchen could never resist putting something, anything, on it, eg chopped parsley, then she wouldn’t touch it. Mostly grew out of it, still dislikes onions and mushrooms, also aubergines. Says it’s the texture. OK with the flavour when whizzed into soups and sauces.
Interestingly, tw1nkle’s comment on autism, dd is very dyslexic. Is that autism related?
She is, however, now a competent cook

frenchie Thu 24-Jun-21 11:15:00

My GC always say that granny’s food is the best but my 2DD point out that it’s because I only give them what they like!!

Nannan2 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:16:10

My son has certain 'tastes' & dislikes- its about textures for him, (turns out years later he has aspergers mildly) for years we saw dieticians(in 2 different hospitals,at same time) - at one point he would only eat yogurts- and they said just to feed what he DID like, and worry over the healthy aspects later- so long as he was eating and gaining some weight- his preference was for bacon, chicken, sausages,chips etc all what we consider 'unhealthy' stuff, but he was happy, and slowly gained more weight, he gradually added some other foods, not veg though,but he will have occasional fruit, but he's now 18, he has grown in height quite a bit, he's an average weight, and doesn't have any hang ups over food- he knows what he likes & what he doesn't, he will be ok.And I'm sure your GC will be too Grammajules, its just best not to make a big deal out of it i found.

Pammie1 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:18:26

Tough!! You had your chance

What ????

Yammy Thu 24-Jun-21 11:22:09

I have the same problem with one set of GC. One lives on peanut butter and choc chip ice cream and will starve all day until someone gives in. not me I might add. The sibling was like this but now tries what they think is," grown-up food," steak, duck, broccoli, etc.
The one from the other family who attended nursery from a very young age just says I'll try and if I don't like please may I leave it.,I feel this is alright and they have quite a varied diet.

pinkym Thu 24-Jun-21 11:26:06

My eldest DGD now 8 steadfastly refuses to even try things before pronouncing she doesn't like them. Her 6-year-old brother is the reverse, a real little foodie who comes up with all sorts of weird and wonderful requests for meals (grapes and peppers chopped up together for breakfast please), he'll request melon or strawberries rather than sweets at the supermarket. I truly thought his sister would be tempted to copy him as he was getting praise for his healthy eating habits, but no, she would just screw up her nose and say it looks disgusting. She's sloooowly getting better, but I do worry as her diet is "orange" processed foods and she is definitely over-weight, though we don't say anything regarding that to her, just try to encourage healthier foods. Not much help really for OP, but just to say it's a battle to be fought by the parents, we can only support and follow what they do.

annodomini Thu 24-Jun-21 11:26:23

When my youngest GS was a toddler, he would eat any amount of cucumber! Now, as a teenager, he is a fridge-raider and a MacDonald's fan - cucumber? what cucumber?

Alis52 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:28:27

Ask what proper meals are acceptable and stick to those. No snacks between meals unless the meal has been eaten. Any fussy eaters get short shrift in my house - they’re now grown up and still fussy but know unless they want to make their own food they have to eat what I provide. And no grumbling. Only special provision is made for vegetarians but then I make the meat lovers eat veggie as well. I will be applying exactly the same principles to GC. Life is too short to be silly about food and I’ve never been interested in being anyone’s personal chef no matter how much I love the fusspots in my family!

greenlady102 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:28:45

Yammy

I have the same problem with one set of GC. One lives on peanut butter and choc chip ice cream and will starve all day until someone gives in. not me I might add. The sibling was like this but now tries what they think is," grown-up food," steak, duck, broccoli, etc.
The one from the other family who attended nursery from a very young age just says I'll try and if I don't like please may I leave it.,I feel this is alright and they have quite a varied diet.

I think we see this from the "stressed adult" side of things but what about the "stressed child"?
You say "until someone gives in, not me I might add" as though this is a good thing.....IMO there shouldn't be "giving in" because it shouldn't be any kind of clash.

donna1964 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:31:11

I would not make a big thing of it. Let the kids have what they want to eat. There eating of food will change when they get older..seen this happen with many of my nieces & nephews who now eat healthier. Its upto their parents not you to decide what they eat. If you are so concerned ask the childrens parents if you could give the children a chewy multi vitamin tablet whilst they are with you. Maybe the parents themselves might see that as a good idea and continue themselves to do the same.

Dillonsgranma Thu 24-Jun-21 11:32:09

If the little ones cook with you they will eat it! I’ve found this to be true. Scones are a good bet. Grate any veg you like plus cheese into the mixture. They love them!

trulyscrumptiousred Thu 24-Jun-21 11:32:28

I gave up the battle in the end as I didn't want my time with them to be spoilt with battles around eating.

DeeDe Thu 24-Jun-21 11:44:43

My daughter wouldn’t eat when she was small, to the point she would be sick if we tried to hard to encourage her, she nibbled and was quite slim actually very thin until around 10 years old, Dr s said don’t worry she will eat enough…

She’s now 50 ( looks 40) a qualified chef, runs her own restaurants and does talks on healthy eating shock

DO NOT WORRY …

Fernhillnana Thu 24-Jun-21 11:46:57

I used to make meals a lot of daft fun when mine tried making issues about food. Eg eat under the table, make a picnic, snuggle in front of the fire. Anything to take the stress out. I don’t know if that will help but it did with mine.

Theoddbird Thu 24-Jun-21 11:48:18

Don't worry about it. It is not as if they are with you full time. When he says he is hungry just give him fruit as you say he eats it. All children go through these phases. I think that giving into them can actually make it worse

Ealdemodor Thu 24-Jun-21 11:54:24

Alis52
Surely, when you have guests of any age in your house, you would want them to be happy and relaxed, and enjoy themselves.
Most people have dislikes, it is not about being silly, as you put it.

Newatthis Thu 24-Jun-21 11:56:48

My youngest didn't like eating at all. She would only eat yoghurt, bananas, lamb chops and pasta. I worried so much and when I took her to the doctor he said that she was getting 4 food groups so not to worry. She is now adult, strong and healthy, so don't worry just enjoy that you can spend time time with them - many of us can't.

Purplepixie Thu 24-Jun-21 11:57:16

I must be the odd one out here as my 4 grand kids will eat anything. Sorry, this is no help to you.