Gransnet forums

Food

Who shops for groceries on line and do you enjoy it.

(107 Posts)
multicolourswapshop Tue 30-Nov-21 08:41:06

I shop occasionally on line for Sainsbury’s food and usually get a good delivery time and date. Unfortunately I’m always having to amend the list however they’re so good at changing my shopping list in good time, I find great pleasure in this type of shopping especially as I’m unable to get out and about as necessary.

I find I’ve to reign in my eagerness because I could shop until I drop.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Nov-21 10:43:44

Never done online shopping, I prefer to go myself with Mr. S.'s assistance of course.

MissAdventure Tue 30-Nov-21 10:45:16

I do more online shopping now, as I can't carry much, but it's a necessity, rather than a pleasure.
I've never enjoyed shopping much, anyway. or cooking

Tizliz Tue 30-Nov-21 10:47:44

Elusivebutterfly - shame you cancelled your delivery saver as Tesco extended mine by three months for free and now they are not taking on new customers. It is such good value for money and can be paid with x3 Tesco vouchers

Hetty58 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:00:02

I always shop online - ever since I was working and eight people lived here (just impossible to carry it all home). I never liked shopping anyway.

I'm not loyal to any particular store, though, just do the rounds. I get a shop from Iceland to fill up the freezers, Ocado or Sainsburys for the cupboards - then buy a lot of things in bulk for a yearly supply.

I have twice weekly deliveries from the milkman (bread, Oatly etc.) and a weekly fruit/veg box from Oddbox. I spend less and I'm much more sensible with what I buy, generally, although sometimes, I'll pop into a small shop (with a mask) for 'emergency' biscuits or chocolate.

Sparklefizz Tue 30-Nov-21 11:23:12

I have been shopping online from Sainsbury's and occasionally Waitrose since the first lockdown and will be continuing. I wouldn't go back to shopping instore now.

I don't enjoy shopping at any time as I have very limited energy due to having M.E. amongst other illnesses.

tanith Tue 30-Nov-21 11:26:11

I did online shopping from Tesco during lockdown then click and collect for a few months but I do prefer to go myself which I do weekly. It was all very easy and I had a good service.. I’d do it again if I couldn’t get out.

muse Tue 30-Nov-21 11:39:48

I started during lockdown and haven't stopped. It saves me so much time and it's been a huge success. Sainsbury have just arrived. Lots of clinking of bottles in this week's. Found a spiced rum we like and it was on offer. ?

I do miss a good bargain found when doing actual shopping (reduced items) but I've some excellent bargains with Sainsbury's deliveries. Their substitution guarantee has worked in my favour many times. Drivers have also left me with a slightly damaged item but still useable, and I've had a full refund to boot. ?

I'd love to try Ocado but they don't deliver around here. It does puzzle me as I live 5 mins from the main A road through Cornwall. Perhaps they don't deliver to this county.

Framilode Tue 30-Nov-21 11:58:17

We have such problems with the Ocado site though I prefer their products.
I did half my Christmas order and then went back to add some more products. It simply won't add the new stuff to the original order even though we have clicked to say add to existing order. It has now doubled the new products in my basket and keeps telling us to book another delivery slot.
Tesco site is wonderful but some of their products not so much.
Grrr.

Sashabel Tue 30-Nov-21 12:54:04

I've been a Tesco online shopper for more years than I can remember and the thought a traipsing around the supermarket with my trolley and then trying to keep up with the cashier as he/she shoves it down the conveyor faster than you can pack it fills me with dread. I have used Asda delivery in the past, but I don't like their website and the fact that they take the money before picking the items and then adjust accordingly as you go back online to make changes. So if you make a few changes before your delivery date, it is very confusing to work out what has been charged in the end. I just wish Aldi would do a delivery service as I really like most of their produce.

joannapiano Tue 30-Nov-21 13:39:28

We have a delivery saver deal with Tesco and I have a delivery once a week. DH has been undergoing cancer treatment since the first lockdown and we prefer not to go into large shops because of his compromised immune system.. Our GP put him on the vulnerable list and even when I couldn’t get slots last year we can book a priority slot that Tesco have kept going.
I find most of the delivery people really nice and they chat as we unload the groceries at our front door. The young chap this week was telling me about his Dad’s three bee hives in their garden.
I find it very easy to use the website and most items seem to be in stock each week.

AGAA4 Tue 30-Nov-21 13:39:51

I was finding it harder to carry my shopping upstairs to my flat and started online shopping just for heavy items.
Now I get most of my shopping delivered and enjoy doing it online in my armchair rather than trolley dodging and queuing at checkouts.

tanith Tue 30-Nov-21 13:56:06

Tesco’s shop and scan means no queuing it’s so easy.

LtEve Tue 30-Nov-21 13:56:54

I shop with Ocado, wouldn’t say I enjoy it but I don’t like shopping generally. I will be doing all my Christmas shopping online now as I hate wearing masks. I will do( and do all day at work) but I don’t like it.

BBbevan Tue 30-Nov-21 14:10:37

I do a Sainsbury’s online shop evert 10 days. Our nearest Sainsbury’s is over an hours drive away, so delivery is great. Love it

Lovetopaint037 Tue 30-Nov-21 14:36:30

Used to do an online shop with Waitrose and Asda over the years. Gave it up when Waitrose continual gave me yellow long stem broccoli. However, when the lockdown occurred couldn’t get a delivery from them until Sainsbury’s identified me as vulnerable (because of my age). They have been great, not let me down and also their goods are far better than our local Sainsbury’s. I presume this is because it comes from a bigger store. I am staying with them as they helped me when I most needed it.

Sparra Wed 01-Dec-21 12:18:15

Ha ha your describing myself here,

Nannashirlz Wed 01-Dec-21 12:21:48

I’ve done it for years, when I was working full time I was spending my days off shopping so decided to try online. Now I’m disabled it’s much easier for me to shop online. If I go into supermarkets I spend more than I plan lol I can go in for milk and spend 20 quid always something that catches my eye. But if I shop online I only buy what I need saying that I’m buying extra tin food at min before price rises which are coming in slowly.

4allweknow Wed 01-Dec-21 12:28:03

Initially took me ages until I became familiarised with system and then no problem. I make a list of items I need then on last day for updating order I enter all the items taking no more than 30 minutes. I do cluck and collect as store isn't far from me, but no bus anyway. Have recently gone into supermarket but just do not feel safe. Had forgotten just how selfish a lot of people can be, pushing in, standing gossiping in aisles blocking the way. Only if desperate for somethings will I return to general supermarket shopping.

JackyB Wed 01-Dec-21 12:28:28

Thanks Sago that is interesting. They will need to do serious research into the marketing as the German mentality will prove very different.

Pammie1 Wed 01-Dec-21 12:32:51

I’ve shopped online for groceries once a week since the start of Covid. I used to do it pre Covid, but less frequently. I have mobility problems and just find it easier to cope. I’ve used Sainsburys and Tesco’s as I find these to be the most reliable with less substitutions and the deliveries tend to be early within the slot. The only thing I find difficult now, is that most supermarkets have dropped bags from their online deliveries so the driver either has to come in with the tray to unpack in the kitchen, or I have to take bags to the door, which is a bit of a faff - personally I don’t think it achieves anything with regard to the environment because unpacking takes longer and the delivery van engines have to be kept idling because of the refrigeration. If I need a same or next day slot, I use Morrisons on Amazon Prime - a bit more expensive but they deliver quickly and everything is in paper bags. Iceland are also quite good for short notice slots, and they deliver with biodegradable bags.

Lesley60 Wed 01-Dec-21 12:34:45

I enjoy shopping on line as I find it difficult walking around supermarkets, I also find I don’t spend quite as much and I do it with a cuppa by the side of me in the comfort of my covid free home when hubby is watching something on tv i don’t like.
mind you I do find it to easy to buy to many clothes that I never go anywhere to where

Pammie1 Wed 01-Dec-21 12:35:26

@4allweknow. I do cluck and collect as store isn't far from me,

This made me laugh out loud - from now on all my collections will be referred to as cluck and collect. Thank you fir brightening my day !!

greenlady102 Wed 01-Dec-21 12:36:30

I don't actually enjoy it but I used to LOATHE going to supermarkets

theworriedwell Wed 01-Dec-21 12:39:22

multicolourswapshop

I shop occasionally on line for Sainsbury’s food and usually get a good delivery time and date. Unfortunately I’m always having to amend the list however they’re so good at changing my shopping list in good time, I find great pleasure in this type of shopping especially as I’m unable to get out and about as necessary.

I find I’ve to reign in my eagerness because I could shop until I drop.

I'm forever updating my shopping. I book a space 2 weeks in advance and I get to the point where I think I'm going to get banned for messing them about. I'm sure they don't even notice.

Theoddbird Wed 01-Dec-21 12:41:02

I have been doing click and collect since beginning of pandemic. It gives me time to think about what I need and I can amend as needed. Also it is possible to get click and collect next day now. It makes life so simple.