Gransnet forums

Food

Oú est le moutarde?

(91 Posts)
Sago Tue 31-May-22 07:09:30

We are currently holidaying in France, there is no mustard!
Not even an outrageously priced artisan mustard.
The Leclerc supermarket in Bayeux is enormous, you can furnish your home, equip your garden there but alas no mustard.
Arlette Gondre (Pegasus Bridge cafe) went to England last week to buy French mustard!

NotSpaghetti Tue 31-May-22 07:12:04

Why? That's very odd!

J52 Tue 31-May-22 07:18:45

Apparently there’s been a poor harvest of mustard seeds, both in France and Canada. France imports mustard seeds from Canada! Who knew?
Time to stock up ?

NotSpaghetti Tue 31-May-22 07:22:30

I wonder what our harvest was like? Now we have left the EU and allowed neonicotinoids again I expect the harvest will be poor here as it's generally pollinated by bees.

Jaxjacky Tue 31-May-22 08:16:59

I read this a couple of weeks ago, so bought some extra Dijon, need to pick up whole grain too.

FarNorth Tue 31-May-22 10:22:23

I may have to start scooping it back up from the side of the plate!
(haha)

MawtheMerrier Tue 31-May-22 10:29:51

So the thread has reappeared (lies down in darkened room)

@ Sago il y a de la moutarde chez Waitrose!

Sago Tue 31-May-22 11:08:09

mtm Je sais! C’est une catastrophe pour les Francaise!

Nannytopsy Tue 31-May-22 11:44:37

We were in France last week - none in Picardy or Normandy!
Quelle dommage!

H1954 Tue 31-May-22 11:59:23

Oh dear! I'd better stock up on mustard seeds.........can't make a curry without those ?‍♀️

MawtheMerrier Tue 31-May-22 12:08:18

Sago

mtm Je sais! C’est une catastrophe pour les Francaise!

Les français ET les françaises!

Callistemon21 Tue 31-May-22 12:35:25

NotSpaghetti

I wonder what our harvest was like? Now we have left the EU and allowed neonicotinoids again I expect the harvest will be poor here as it's generally pollinated by bees.

That's not strictly true

The EU eased the regulations on neonicotinoids temporarily, as has the UK, because of the worries about pests decimating rapeseed.

Its use is very strictly controlled both here and in Europe.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-May-22 12:36:16

FarNorth

I may have to start scooping it back up from the side of the plate!
(haha)

As Mother used to say "That's how Mr Coleman made his fortune!"

Marmight Tue 31-May-22 14:21:17

Pas de probleme chez moi. Je deteste la moutarde. Just saying ?

Joseanne Tue 31-May-22 14:55:39

No Dijon mustard? We're over in France next month and simply can't have a barbecue without it, so I will smuggle some in. Thanks for the tip off.
I'm a bit of a heathen, I like the squirty one by Amora. And their salad dressing with mustard.

NotSpaghetti Tue 31-May-22 17:35:10

As I understood it, Callistemon, our government is allowing thiamethoxam, to be used on sugar beet in England this year. I understood this was a fairly broad permission to beet growers and looser than anything they are doing in Europe.
I concede I may be wrong, as it is a while since I read anything about it - but it is still true that it is exceedingly dangerous and kills pollinators.
Beekeepers move their bees in order to pollinate the mustard crops so this was my link to the mustard shortage. I know there is a strong overlap in where beet grows and where mustard grows in the UK.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 31-May-22 17:38:58

I know I'm a total pedant but every time I see the heading I want to change the accent from acute to grave.

SueDonim Tue 31-May-22 17:47:34

The Germans have pinched it all. I’ve just been to Lidl and the shelves were groaning with various types of mustard. grin

Joseanne Tue 31-May-22 17:59:39

Germanshepherdsmum

I know I'm a total pedant but every time I see the heading I want to change the accent from acute to grave.

Calme-toi. Don't let la moutarde monter au nez!

Actually the gender is a far bigger mistake (feminine) but who cares? We all understand.

grin

kittylester Tue 31-May-22 18:08:06

Marmight

Pas de probleme chez moi. Je deteste la moutarde. Just saying ?

Moi aussi!

Mamie Tue 31-May-22 18:13:09

I hadn't noticed! Will have a look when we go shopping tomorrow. ?

FarNorth Tue 31-May-22 18:16:09

Maybe we should send Mustard Aid Packages to France?

MawtheMerrier Tue 31-May-22 18:33:00

Hmm, wondering if it is too late to give up the day job and start an import/export business Keen As Mustard maybe?
Oh damn, I forgot , I gave up the day job 12 years ago.

MawtheMerrier Tue 31-May-22 18:34:01

Joseanne

Germanshepherdsmum

Calme-toi. Don't let la moutarde monter au nez!

Actually the gender is a far bigger mistake (feminine) but who cares? We all understand.

grin

And the gender - you can take the teacher out of the school …..
That mental red pen!

henetha Tue 31-May-22 18:59:12

I read that the war in Ukraine also plays a part. . Presumably mustard is grown there.
I bought one extra jar as I love mustard.