Gransnet forums

Gardening

I love the smell of Tiger Balm in the morning OR The JOYS OF SUMMER

(237 Posts)
Bags Fri 27-Apr-12 08:12:58

Definitely summer when the garden beastie bites start to itch and the Tiger Balm is in constant demand! Did some hedging yesterday and some of the wee critters whose homes I was disturbing got cross wink!

Definitely summer when, even though the outside temperature was only 2.7°C when I got up at six, by seven thirty it had gone up by three degrees. And it's still going up under a summer sky.

Definitely summer when I can do a stint of mowing one day and a stint of hedging the next and my chest doesn't hurt later on smile sunshine.

whenim64 Mon 30-Apr-12 11:23:26

butty that's such a lovely poem - it transported me back to last year in the Lakes, watching the rain pouring down with a vengeance over Windermere then transforming into the most beautiful sunny day, with skylarks singing their heads off up above and the buzz of people gradually coming out into the sunshine and enjoying their boating, and picnics on the still wet grass. sunshine

soop Mon 30-Apr-12 11:33:24

Brooding fingers of grey cloud
Float close to the indigo peaks
That reach upwards to a
Sun-starved sky.
A wind without warmth
Skitters across the shivering sea
Teasing the waves
To erupt in frothy white caps.
This scene can change
In the blink of an eye.
Patience is the key
For nothing in life remains the same.

whenim64 Mon 30-Apr-12 11:54:59

What are you two ON soop and butty? Whatever it is, I would love to have some, too. Your poems are exquisite! [flowers}

Nonu Mon 30-Apr-12 12:58:33

Am ambivalant about the smell of tiger balm , one thing I have learnt though that it is supposed to be good for "bites" which I do get a fair amount of in the summer

Butternut Mon 30-Apr-12 13:04:27

Thanks, when smile!

Nonu Mon 30-Apr-12 13:11:20

Am ambivalant about the smell of tiger balm , but do know now that it useful for Bites" which I do get quite a fair amount of in summer

soop Mon 30-Apr-12 13:16:15

when smile

Nonu Mon 30-Apr-12 13:26:56

Have realised I have posted same message twice , daft bat . Soop , soon maybe , we have to be patient . [sunshine sunshine ]

Butternut Mon 30-Apr-12 13:41:25

soop - smile for being super again! smile

Hope you're feeling more comfortable now and healing is going well.

soop Mon 30-Apr-12 18:17:24

Lo and behold -
The sun pierced through the veil of cloud
Casting soft shadows over the land
Creating dancing sparks on the surface of the sea.
The scene is calm -
A gentle breeze murmurs
All is well...

soop Mon 30-Apr-12 18:23:10

The hip on the other hand, is giving me gip! Less exercise but increased livid bruising and tight swelling. Have been instructed to cease the anticoagulants. In spirit, I'm feeling heaps better. Big thanks to you lot grin

Grannylin Mon 30-Apr-12 19:06:31

That's good to hear soop, have this for the hip wine

Bags Mon 30-Apr-12 19:48:16

Telegraph wire across the field
A male cuckoo perch.
He swoops to some edible morsel on the ground,
A large moth caterpillar, perhaps,
And back again to his ground-scanning wire.
The hills across the loch
Are half in muted shadow colours
And half is coppery in late sunshine.

Butternut Mon 30-Apr-12 21:02:19

B If you looked again you'd see me perched next to the cuckoo! A simple life and a ready meal is all I need ......... with no wedding preps. to be concerned with. smile

Butternut Mon 30-Apr-12 21:03:15

....and all will be well, soop smile

Bags Mon 30-Apr-12 21:19:33

It'll be over before you know it, butty, and it will have been fabulous! smile

jeni Mon 30-Apr-12 21:32:03

Look at Julian of Norwich ' all will be well etc:'

jeni Mon 30-Apr-12 21:46:02

Goodnight all, early start tomorrowsad

Bags Tue 01-May-12 08:14:44

SUMMER!

Up to 11°C by eight o'clock! Lots of sunshine! Can't be bad!

Annobel Tue 01-May-12 08:18:12

Oh, Bags, we had that yesterday but today, alas, showery, breezy and 8°C at the moment.

Butternut Tue 01-May-12 08:23:18

Jeni Oh! I have gone all religious and not known it, haven't I! (I think?) Still, I do love that expression..... smile

soop Tue 01-May-12 11:13:18

Happy May Day to us all sunshine The view from the window is beautiful. May have to celebrate with wine tonight. Slainte!

Butternut Tue 01-May-12 11:19:30

And to you, soop. Beautifully fresh air and sunshine today, windows open, duvet airing from the window, and the apple blossom is blushing for May. sunshine

harrigran Tue 01-May-12 11:26:27

I envy your view today soop I bet it gladdens the heart.

Bags Tue 01-May-12 11:37:08

Yes, happy May Day to all. We've had warmer ones here but it is sunny and breezy and bright. DD's hairband was stuffed full of cherry blossom that she picked up from the school playground when I went to collect her (early, for an orthodondist appointment) yesterday smile. The wind was blowing bunches of it down. The odd thing was that none of the other kids had done anything with the masses of flowers. So strange! So sad that they appear to be out of touch with the joys of nature. Some of the terribly grown up eleven and twelve year olds even scoffed! Fortunately she doesn't care, and anyway the younger kids and the teachers loved it.